Digifant Idle at 2.5-3k When Warm

Discussion in 'Engines' started by nickh89GTi, Jul 3, 2008.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah it might just be slightly too far away from the stop. trouble is its a bit of a mare to get to the screws underneath an angle screwdriver helps!

2. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Hi RJ,

I took the throttle body off then set the position of the switch with a feeler gauge as per the haynes manual. I can adjust the idle and the screw isn't wound all the way is as it was before so am hoping i've got a result with it. :lol:

Also managed to find out what was up with my mates ibiza the other day. Apparently vag-com has shown up the AFM is at fault. He got 96miles to a full tank of fuel the other week. He must have a fuel leak somewhere because surely the AFM being faulty won't cause that low milage to a full tank.

Cheers

Nick

3. rubjonny

wouldnt have thougt so no! worth a look at the fuel lines at the fuel rail, they can crack there and cause a bit o seepage

4. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Hi RJ,

I think my throttle stop may be over adjusted. How far past the factory settings does it need to be in order to cause idle problems? I have looked at the one on my car and compared it with my mates and mine seems to be a little further adjusted than his.

Cheers

Nick

5. rubjonny

it doesnt take much! what you need to do is crack loose the screws holding the idle switch underneath so you have enough movement then loosen the throttle stop till there is a gap between it and the linkage. Next get a piece of papar between the stop and linkage, tighten it till it just grabs the paper, then turn a further half turn & lock it off.

Now move the idle switch till it just clicks and secure it in place, check it clicks just as the throttle opens & closes and you're good to go! You'll probaly need to re-adjust the idle & CO though.

6. nickh89GTi Forum Member

I so hope it is the throttle stop it looks like it is when i compared it with a damaged one i have in the garage and the one on my mates. If it is out i'd say it was between a quarter and half turn to far from a visual point of view. Will give it a go when 1 of my 8mm spanner appears.

Will let you no how i get on tomorrow. I've lost count of the amount of times i've tried/ set the ignition, idle & CO :lol: :lol:

Cheers :thumbup:

Nick

7. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Hi RJ,

Took my throttle body off at the weekend to adjust the microswitches and throttle stop and when i held it up to the light you could see daylight all the way round the small butterfly inside the throttle body so i am assuming this is what has been causing the problems with the idle. Tried to close the gap around the butterfly by adjusting the throttle stop and nothing happened.

Also i noticed over the weekend the PCV Valve, breather pipe and filler cap has some Mayo type stuff in/on them. Is this due to condensation build up inside the engine as it only gets started to move it around on the drive and taken for short test drives when I've been trying to sort the idle problem out.

Think we may be getting to the end of this idle problem at last :thumbup:

Cheers

Nick

8. rubjonny

you do need a little bit of a gap otherwise the engine wont run at all :)

bit o mayo in de breathers is perfectly normal idf you've only been pootleing about on short drives.

9. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Could call them short drives. :lol:.

As for the throttle body, It looked as though someone has had the butterflies out and not put them back in correctly as one side had a larger gap than the other. Compared it with the damaged one i had in my garage and that had no visible daylight around the butterfly and the throttle stop was as per factory settings on it.

Anyway borrowed a throttle body off my mate and another ISV and problem hasn't shown up at the moment. 'Touch wood'. [:D], but then i haven't gone through the setting up process thats gonna be this weekend.

Cheers

Nick

10. rubjonny

hmm, maybe its been ported [:s]

11. nickh89GTi Forum Member

If it has then it wood be only a very small amount. Looks to me as if someone has had the small butterfly out at some stage at hasn't been able to get it back in dead center. Could this gap have been what was causing the stupidly high idle? As changed it for another throttle body and seems to be ok at moment.

How much play should there be in the throttle pedal (ie. lifting it up with your foot) when the cable is adjusted correctly. Before i had adjusted it so you couldn't lift the pedal with your foot and I have since slackened it off a bit.

Cheers

Nick

12. rubjonny

i just set up so when your foot is flat to the floor the throttle just hits the wide open stop :)

13. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Hi RJ,

Hows the golf goin after the ABF conversion?

Finally been outside and set my car up tonight. Seems to be running lovely at the moment "touch wood all is now solved".

I tried bleeding the air out of the coolant tonight. Let it boil over. When i put the expansion cap back on i can hear the pressure escaping from the cap. Does this mean the cap is knackered and why i'm getting luke warm air in the cabin?

Cheers

Nick

14. rubjonny

dont let it boil if you can help it, that'll put air in, I put together an faq for the coolant system which covers how to bleed the system. still a new cap is a good plan either way!

its going very fast after the conversion, still needs some fine tuning but so far so good!

15. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Ah right OK will need to do it again anyway as i need to change bottom radiator hose clip. I have the old style expansion tank, so should i be able to hear the pressure built up in the system releasing through the cap?

16. rubjonny

if you can hear it venting then i dont think its workin right, get a new blue cap on there and you cant go worng!

17. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Hi Guys,

Had a siemens ECU in my mk2 digi GTi which i think may have been causing my problems as i have never been able to get a steady idle and CO level. Last night i swapped the siemens ECU for a bosch ECU. Now the car starts, idles rough for 10 seconds or so then cuts out.

Could this problem be all the ign timing/idle/CO settings are all now well out of adjustment?

Cheers Nick :thumbup:

18. rubjonny

well something is wrong with either the old ecu or the new one, ive swapped my ecu over loads of times and its never been very much different setup wise, so I'd say give it a go setting up the new ecu properly, see where that gets you.

19. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Will do RJ.

Apparently the Siemens ECU may have had a chip put in it to match modifications done to one of my mates GTi's which he had brought and wanted a standard ECU so i swapped my old bosch unit with him and have never been able to get steady settings with the Siemens ECU whereas with the ECU i swapped it was running pretty much spot on before the swap.

Hopefully it was the Siemens ECU causing my probs.

Cheers Nick