Disater today

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by vwbobby, Oct 8, 2013.

1. vwbobby Forum Member

Hi all,

Driving into work today and this is what happened to me, does anyone know what could of caused this?

[​IMG]

Cheers

Bobby

2. cometbluecoupe Forum Member

Hi,

Possibly running too much negative camber or more likely driving with the tracking a long way out? (presume it was a front tyre)

3. vwbobby Forum Member

It was actually the back wheel, I only have a about 1-2 degrees negative camber

4. corradophil Forum Member

Defective tyre or very low tyre pressure causing the sidewall to deflect whilst under load and straighten when not loaded, causing fatigue in sidewall structure in my opinion.

5. vwbobby Forum Member

Cheers Phil, that could actually be the option, that the tyre was deflated slightly, but although did not look deflated. The car came with these wheels, so not sure how long the tyres have been on here

6. corradophil Forum Member

No worries, these things happen. Might go and check my tyre pressures now ;)

7. taks CGTI Committee Paid Member

See you are running a shim......

Columbo calculation......

Tyre hitting your spring platform

8. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

It looks obvious. You've a completely smooth inner side wall, it must of been rubbing for a long time but the looks of things

9. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Jeeeeez bobby! Were you going fast at the time ?

Very worrying mate! I had one go like that before but never knew what caused it ? Was a new'ish tyre too ?

10. vwbobby Forum Member

Hey Richard, no I only put my foot down and reached 30mph in traffic and then felt the judder, so pulled over and saw the wheel, got lucky

11. taks CGTI Committee Paid Member

jack the other side of your car up
    get a light and inspect how close the tyre is to any interference.

If it is 100% free take the wheel off and check your shim config...

The blowout side probs needs a bigger shim

cheers

12. vwbobby Forum Member

Hi Taks,

Are you talking about camber shims?

13. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

No I think he is referring to the spacer you can see in the photo with the red tape on it. As said it looks like the tyre has been rubbing on something

14. lard44 Forum Member

If it was those bloody silly stretched jobbies you posted over on the Corrado forum then I'm not surprised. That's not how you're supposed to use tyres.

Learn your lesson and fit tyres and wheels that fit FFS.

15. mono matt Forum Member

Yep- stretched to **** :-s

Personally I could not put my faith in ill fitting tyres :-( not the way I drive ;)

16. taks CGTI Committee Paid Member

yeah the spacers. I always refer to those as shims and the proper hubcentric jobs as spacers.
    Looking at the pic you have two taped together on that side which is seems a bit dodge

Not sure on the stretched stuff didn't see you post on corrado forum. What rim width tyre combo you running?

I personally think you need at least 10mm from interference to account for tyre movement whilst cornering. You would be surprised by the amount a tyre wall flexes during cornering even though you are running a low profile.

17. vwbobby Forum Member

Guys these were the wheels and tyres that were on the car when I bought the car.

In regards to those stupid spacers, they were again with the car, I actually have these ones:
    http://www.g23engineering.com/produc...e-adapter.html

Which are 20mm Offset Bolt Type Adapter to allow fitment for these wheels, from a 4x100>5x120, those stupid littles spacers are on there just to give it a little bit of extra poke, they would not have caused this. The wheels are 8.5"x16" with 195/40/16's upfront and 9.5" x 16" with 205/40/16's on the back with a ET24 all round.

In regards to the inner tyres wall, when I bought the car, it did not have the right adapters on there and noticed a bit of rubbing on the suspension on the inner tyre wall.
    Then when I bought the right adapters I fitted the wheel, fitted camber shims to give about 2 degrees camber and checked for clearance and there was about a inch of clearance between the suspension and the tyres. I have drove the car with these adapters on there for over 4 weeks or so and had no issue, and then suddenly this happened, so that is what has got be baffled. The only thing I can come to to running with not enough air in the tyre?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  18. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Seen this on FB. So streeched tyres eh?

19. taks CGTI Committee Paid Member

http://www.galantvr4.org/docs/rimwidth.htm

Mate it stipulates a min size of 241 on a 9.5 inch wheel.

I love the look of stretched tyres- I know others don't- but you are mileage away from what is acceptable

On another note- I have run 225/40 on my bm which is running 9.5's on the rear. I didn't have a single issue and looked as mean as hell [eek]

But after looking at my audi which has 9.5's all round from factory I noticed it ran 255/35/19 and thought it looks perfectly acceptable so I have bought some eagle f1 255/35/18 now and tbh it looks fine. Just try go for wider tyres with a lower profile

20. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

You sound like old women. lol

Nothing wrong with a little stretch. The tyre might of been rubbing on something.

When I lowered my MK2, the tyre was rubbing on the metal bracket on the rear beam, which holds the brake line in place.

All I needed to do was bend it inwards to clear the wheel.

Oh, and here is a pic of my stretch just for you guys ;)

[​IMG]