Dont buy a Lupo GTI!

Discussion in 'Fox/Lupo/Polo' started by cliveyp, Jun 1, 2005.

1. cliveyp Forum Member

What ever you do, don't buy one! Or a newer Polo for that matter!

Took the Lupo in for its 20k service today, actually done about 21k but thats by the by. Anyway, bit later on the girlie gets a call from Listers Worcester saying that it needs new front discs and pads. Now pads i understand, but discs??? ON 21K????? Not like its a really heavy car is it!! [:x] [:x]

Anyway, i give their service manager a call and he finally rings me back 2 hours later. His explanation....."i don't know why sir, and i can only agree with you, but the GTI's and the polo's all seem to get through discs at that sort of milage. In fact normally we need to change them at 17-18k". Thats it. He agrees with me that, frankly, its s**t, but thats it! We've gotta face the bill now which ain't gonna be a nice sight (20k service, discs at 240 ish quid, and pads) but i'm gonna be ringing VW HQ and giving them a right kick in the b*****ks about this. [:x] [:x]

2. damogti Forum Junkie

20k miles on a set of discs aint that bad imo..... yeah could be better but i wouldnt be really annoyed about it if it was me.

:)

3. Guests Banned

buy a different brand disc? [:s]

4. AlexB Forum Member

They're only about 40/side anyway aren't they? hardly breaking the bank

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I suspect it's heavier than it looks. Anything is these days. But yeah, 20k is rubbish.

6. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Like i said on MSN clive, i actually expect that they dont need changing and they saw a females name on the service appointment.

"Excuse me mrs, the discs need changing."

They tried it on with Claire and her R32 as well last year, and they are still on and doing fine a few track days later.

7. AndyG

AndyG Forum Member

20K for a set of disks :lol: should last a lot longer than that I'd of thought

I'll have to check our 53 plate polo and see what sort of state there in

It may be just the garage as Luke said they tried it on with claires R32 and gary was saying to me when he inspected them they were only half worn

8. cliveyp Forum Member

hardly breaking the bank.....if fitted yourself. Unfortunately, being the scared female type, she said to go ahead and do it so they have. So dealer fitted prices of a pair of discs......that'll be 240 quid sir! [:x]

I'm demanding to see the old ones when we pick the car up later. I've always been hard on brakes, and have never had to change a pair of discs in 20k. Pads is understandable, but discs wearing at the same rate????? [xx(]

9. cliveyp Forum Member

And Claires has done even more miles!! [:x]

10. stu h Forum Member

:o 240???

11. cliveyp Forum Member

I'll poke the feckers in the eyes if i see them and they're OK.....either that or i'll then make them take the car back round and put them back on... :lol:

12. Quiksilver

Quiksilver Paid Member Paid Member

Thats what i'll do.

Why not just say ok, i'll replace them myself?

13. cliveyp Forum Member

because she had already told them to go ahead and do it before she told me what was happening, and its her car. If she'd rang me before-hand i'd have told her that i'd have done it...... Just have to get them later on when they want to go home! [8(]

14. pigbladder Forum Addict

i work at a [:$] vauxhall dealer [:$] :clap: and the service guys always try to push discs n pads to people

because its a saftey related item most people just go ahead and have it done , its quick and easy money while the wheel is off anyway

id have suggested you said leave em and have a look yourself, or ask to be shown why it needs them, bet they push alot of wiper baldes too [:x]

15. Admin Guest

so not really the cars fault then,

don't be breaking my heart

16. diggerbucket Forum Member

I've heard this one before, my Uncle had a Lupo and they were determined to put new discs on and said they always wear out that quick.

So what did my Uncle do? He sold it and bought a Kia to save on the cost of services [:s]

17. Lee-GTi Forum Member

Well i think the topic title is a bit harsh!!! there nothing wrong with Lupo GTi's!!! [:x]
    My bird has one, its a 52 plate 32k on the clock and its still on the first set of dics's, second set of pads!! Don't change them! do it your self anyway! its very easy and you'll save 150 mate!!

18. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

I agree too. The title of the topic should be

"Goto VW for your Stamp in the service book only - dont let them touch your car"

Time to give the Lupo more credit clive, its a great car.

19. sportline Forum Junkie

a bit far to sugest that nobody buys a lupo gti :lol:

but id be well annoyed if they tried to charge 240 for discs, theyve got you by the balls though really. theyl just pull out some worn discs from the cupbourd and show you them
    [:s]

20. Dub20vt Forum Member

well by law you're sposed to be able to see what was removed as proof that it has actually been changed.

i expect that there's nothing wrong with the discs.. just the usual.. as the wheels off [:x]