Drilling Alloys Alternative PCD? OZ Turbo

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by Deako, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

I have gotten hold of a particularly rare set of alloys:-

Pictured Here ;)

[​IMG]

I have actually purchased them to sell on, but i do have one problem that i would like to overcome to increase the buying market.

The wheels pictured, as stunning as they are, and mightily original, are in a 4x108 fitment. (Audi Ford etc) Should i get the centers redrilled for a 4x100 fitment? Or sell them under the premise that adapters are readily available?
    Edited by: Deako

2. Davs Forum Member

have you got a pic of them with the center cap off?

should help give a definitive answer if you can get a pic of the back too

3. Jetta Forum Junkie

H'mmm OZ Turbo's I bought a set of 15x7.? 4x100 pcd but one rim was ever so slightly curbed, the rim is not dented but has a slightly burred section from when the car they were fitted to possibly glanced a curb or something.

The car they came off was a early black 16v gti which looked like it had been rolled or something, I got the alloys for 250, but the outer rim where the bolts go through is a bit corroded but It should polish out, I plan to referb them if I ever manage to get hold of the two sockets needed to split them.

I'll get the bolts chromed or use stainless steel BBS bolts as replacements, depending what works out as better value, polish the alloy outers and either get the main part of the wheels either powdercoated or sprayed pearl grey to match my car or I'll polish them up. To finish them off I shall fit the new "JE Design" center caps as I only have two original OZ chromed plastic centercaps, though mine have VW roundells on them instead of the old "(Z)" logo.

I'll use the OZ's for summer and the ATS Cups that are on my car as winter wheels and sell my old 14"x6" BBS RA's on as they have almost new tyres on them (though they are only Debica's)

I didn't know they were available in a 4x108 PCD, I'd think they look good on a UR Quattro.

4. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

adaptor would be a hell of alot easier to sort than re-drilling the wheel, & alot safer for the user

5. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

GTD UR Quattro is a 5x112 fitment.

Davs, they are 4 stud, so the gaps in between are drilled for the 4x100 fitment.

I consider both to carry the same risk, adapters or drilling.

I might just sell them on to the audi ford users and not mess with them as they are so mint!! [:D]

They come with brand new rubber by the way if anyones interested. ;)

6. alby Forum Junkie

lots of wheels are available in with multi fit 4x100 and 4x108 pcd. i cant see drilling them being a problem.

using adaptors will lower the et alot and this may put people off.

they look mint luke.let me know when youve re drilled them ;)

7. damogti Forum Junkie

Dont want to part with the centre caps do you Luke??? :p ;)

8. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

My thoughts too. However, as i was reminded, those wheels with multi fitment are cast like it, not drilled after. Ill get some quotes from machine shops to see if its viable.

I'll be letting the world know once theyve been done, probably wont be cheap mind! ;)

9. Andy947 Forum Addict

:lol: :lol:

Shite, alloy wheels arent cast with holes. They are all drilled after. Why do you think you get so many fitments on a single wheel design ;)

Can get em re-drilled no problems and they'd be just as safe.

The only problem i susoect would be the locating bit for the centre cap, if like other alloys of that design, it will be in between two of the holes where you'd want to drill.

10. Admin Guest

very much doubt you could run adapters due to the low ET they already have.

redrilling is a viable option and really shouldn't cost that much.

11. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Never thought of it like that. Suppose it would cost a fecking fortune to have a cast for every style/fitment.

12. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Good point mr 947 :)

I still wouldn't trust them after being re-drilled personally.

13. Andy947 Forum Addict

You could get the existing holes tigged up and filled - if you are really worried.

Go ask an engineering shop or wheel refurber - they'll set you straight :)

14. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Ive sent a machine shop called Machine7 in Warwickshire an email. They sell redrilled hubs, discs, wheels etc. So they should be able to help.

15. Jetta Forum Junkie

Andys right they are drilled, as there was a guy who wanted Azev A's on a Citroen, but they didnt do A's in a 3 bolt citroen fitment so he ordered to get a set of undrilled "blanks" from Azev and have them drilled by an engineering company.

16. AndrewF Forum Addict

wouldn't it be better to ask the wheel manufacturer? they may also do it for you.

17. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

OZ no longer make them. JE Design make a replica and they are based in Germany.

You can be sure of the original manufacturer charging a lot for custom work. Best off sticking with a machine shop that knows their stuff.

18. Seraph Banned

mmm...interesting concept, putting wheels on worth more than the car theyre goin on... :lol:

19. kevinv Forum Member

Styledynamix in Middlesex redrill alloys. Might be worth giving them a bell

20. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Cheers, i have contacted someone more local for now. If they cant do it, then ill be looking for alternative machine shops.