Driver To GTi

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Richard Mk2, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Has anyone on here successfully converted the Mk2 Driver into a Digi 8v GTi [:s]

Im currently converting my 1800 Driver to a Digi GTi. I already have a GTi gearbox in there at the moment...

The only part which i think will complicate things for me, will be attaching the Ecu together and connecting the fuel pumps up. [:s]

If anyone has got any tips, helpful advice to guide me and anything useful which i should take into consideration when carrying this conversion out , it would be much appreciated guys :thumbup:

Plus any previous threads which may be helpful would be great...

Cheers :thumbup:

Last edited: May 25, 2009
  2. Richard Mk2

Anyone know if there is any previous threads on this conversion? :thumbup:

3. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

Search engine?

4. Richard Mk2

I have mate and have come across f**k all... I cant seem to find anything on the topic [:s]

5. Richard Mk2

Been looking up on this conversion the past month and have gathered most of the parts i need.

When i finally decide to add the GTi loom in, am i correct in saying that the whole complete wiring loom isn't needed?
    By this i mean, can i just get away with just running the loom for the Ecu, fuel pumps,ect ect back to the fusebox, along side the existing wiring for temp and oil pressure.
    Plus will i have to change the coil too?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers :thumbup:

Last edited: May 25, 2009
  6. Jamie_pyrite Forum Member

From my research, it's just the Gti stuff you have to add. The bits you need to add are:

Parts of the loom for F, G1 and G2 plugs on the fusebox

Relays number 31, 67, 80(or 167)

Richard you may be able to help me, is it fine to use the original carb radiator setup?

These are the parts I've collected for mine so far:

8v gti engine with gearbox
    ISV (as mine didn't come with one)
    wiring loom for fuel pump and all necessary Gti bits
    Relays as above
    lift pump
    external pump
    ECU
    Gti oil filter unit (as engine didnt come with)
    Airbox
    pipe that goes from airbox to head
    New parts such as new clutch (easy while engine is out) and full servicing materials

Also for my PAS conversion:
    PAS Rack
    UJ Joint
    PAS pump
    alu bracket that goes over top of PAS pump
    hoses
    reservoir

7. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

bloody hell thats a lot of work to end up with 112bhp......

probably why there isn't much on the search... for that amount of hassle you could have an abf in there!!!!

8. Jamie_pyrite Forum Member

Nahhh alot more work for ABF from a Driver!

I'm doing mine as more of a learning project though. Not really after a speed machine :)

9. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

not really, all of the above and then plug in a mk2 k-jet loom and run the abf off that. couple of hours extra work for lots more ponnies.......

tis all about learning though, once you have done it it all seems less daunting to attempt something else

10. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Once doing one swap, you'll feel up to doing them all day long.

11. Jamie_pyrite Forum Member

That's the idea, hopefully :)

If I can manage this, then there shouldn't be much I can't manage! I picked up the engine really cheap so thought I may as well go ahead with it. Being a scummy student, I'm trying to do this on the cheap.

12. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

do you have a full socket set? I would thoroughly recommend the 150pc halfords set. We did half of ours without one just trying to 'make do' and we couldn't believe the difference having an organised set with everything in it made. cuts down on waisted time so much

13. Jamie_pyrite Forum Member

I don't have a 150pc Halfords set, but I do have my Dad's garage full of decades worth of collected tools [:D] He has literally everything. Very handy!!

EDIT: Sorry richard, thread hijacking here!

14. Richard Mk2

Hi James Mate.

Well, as mine is an 1800 Driver, it has the same radiator as an 8v GTi. Not too sure about the 1.6 tbh.

EDIT - I just did a search on GSF's website for a 1.6 carb rad, and the product description states that your rad size is a 430mm one, where as the 1800 Carb and GTi have a 525mm one!

You could easily find a second hand one on Ebay or in the parts for sale on here for cheap and it should be a direct fit. If not, Gsf sell brand new ones for 46.30 :thumbup:

15. Richard Mk2

Yea i can see what you mean mate, but as James said above, its a good learning first time experience for us!

And no doubt when i get a little board of the engine, i will probably go for something more powerful, but it will do for now. [:D]

16. Jamie_pyrite Forum Member

Thanks for the info, I better get down to the scrappies then! My rad seems the same size as my 1.8 Driver to be honest and I know it's been replaced because it came with the old knackered one in the boot when I bought it. If I'm lucky, they may have fitted the larger sized radiator.

So when are you planning on starting your conversion? Mine isn't going to be until July now. I've been stripping every part off the engine, cleaning it up and re-spraying it silver or black :)

17. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Richard when are you doing this, it's something I'm wanting to do very soon and seeing as you're another West London guy we should put what we know together and get 2 swaps done in one day.

18. Richard Mk2

Yea that'd be cool mate :thumbup:

Basically, as soon as i get an engine crane hired out, im going to put the engine straight in.

Don't mind giving you a hand with yours... Where abouts are you based mate? :thumbup:

19. Jamie_pyrite Forum Member

Fancy a trip up north to Durham to help me then lads? [:p]

Or I could drive down to London with the gti engine in the boot!

20. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Richard when are you planning to get it done, I can get the engine next week I think and I just need a GTi fuel pump and the back box of the exhaust then I can get it done.

When you planning to do it, I'm sure if we had all the tools (I need to get a socket set) I've got a good bit of space for us to do the work.