Drove a mark 3 GTI today

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by Andy99, Nov 1, 2003.

1. b'locks Forum Addict

why? the standard handling is sh1te on both mk's and the mk3 has much, much better brakes too.

2. AndrewF Forum Addict

i feel a contest coming on....we need to find a mkII 16v on standard suspension...i know someone with a vr6 highline on standard susp.

3. Andy99 Forum Member

Oh dear what have i started here ;) . I will say that i could notice the weight difference as the Mk3 was a touch slower to pick up from standing start but not much in it for stuff like 50 to 70 accelleration.

Always a good night out there, we started in Revolution and moved down to the Quayside [Chase, pitcher & Piano, couple of others and then into sea.

been there a lot in the last few years as i was at uni in Sunderland so Newcastle was a good place for a night out.

4. Torquey Forum Member

Sounds like a good night. Jugs of Vodka cocktails in revolution is a good way to start a night.

5. MK3_GPP Forum Member

That will be a win to the VR6, im quite sure of that depending on track I guess..

My MK3 handles just aswell as any MK2 [:D]

6. Phil

Phil Forum Member

I'm driving both, a Mk2 GTI with uprated suspension, and a Mk3 VR6 with the lot done - ARB's, coilovers, Poly bushed.
    If I want to go hareing around the back roads, the GTI will make an appearance. Feels way lighter and is more drivable around the twisties. You don't really want to be doing 90mph on 90 bends anyway. The max speed I will ever get up to is 70-80mph on the back roads. This is the best part about the Mk2.
    The VR comes out if I am going to be making a long journey, or I will be travelling along major roads. Its is very very good on smooth roads with roundabouts - The ARB's do a spot on job. However, when you start belting around country lanes in it, most are fairly bumpy and the ride and handling can be questionable. On big long roads there is no fun in the GTI - it feels slow and runs out of puff easily - engine just seems to whine away. 100mph and thats really it. The VR, is just about in 4th at this stage, and still pulling like a train. [:D]
    Edited by: Phil