DTA S40 pro wiring loom help.

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by G28OPN, Dec 6, 2013.

1. G28OPN Forum Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hi, this is my dta wiring loom which I bought from harnessing solutions. Its pretty much plug and play, except for 3 wires which I would like to know exactly where they go. I have an idea, but would rather ask and know for sure instead of risking blowing the ecu. The wires are, red switched +ve, bat+ve and bat-ve.

Thanks in advance, David.

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

[​IMG]

There you go David:thumbup:

Any questions please ask.

Regards

Ed.

G28OPN likes this.
  3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

what car is it going into and what age?

4. Toyotec

Does it matter?

He says he is building a 2.1 ABF on Jenveys (ITBs)

The explanation that was given would suit most older VW vehicles for DTA ECU integration.

5. G28OPN Forum Member

Thanks Eddie. Where is the ignition KL15 wire? Does the battery live go direct to the battery terminal? Reason i ask is it looks abit thin compared to the battery negative, which is alot thicker and has a round end on it. :)

6. G28OPN Forum Member

Its a 1989 16v.

7. rubjonny

yes eddie it matters, battery live and earth of course is obvious but if we know what car it is then we can advise possible locations for the ignition feed ;)

with it being a mk2 you can use the old black wire to the coil from the fusebox for the KL15 pin :thumbup:

if the rings dont fit the mk2 terminals you could fit larger rings, an alternative is mk3 golf battery cables they have handy nuts/bolts for extra live and earth feeds that those rings should fit over. other advantage is the mk3 cables are a fair bit chunkier :)

edit: duh ignore that last bit i see you meant the thickness of the wire not size of ring :lol:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
    G28OPN likes this.
  8. Toyotec

It is the black wire that supplies the coil.

Alternatively there should be a 2 pin connection with black/yellow and red/yellow coloured wires over by the blower intake. You can use the black/yellow to power the ECU on ignition on and the red/yellow to trigger the fuel pump relay.

The earth is thicker as it is the path for all the driver stages and sensors in the ECU.

Battery live can be picked up from the battery yes.

9. rubjonny

eddie the black/yellow wire you mentions is the throttle switch closed feed for the isv and ecu so that wont work unfortunately!

edit: you could use it if you chopped the throttle switch plug off and spliced the black to black/yellow, added advantage if you do that is that then it would be a fused feed :thumbup:

10. Toyotec

The ECU is labelled to be fool proof to the user.

So if it is being installed in a Nissan, Mitsubishi, BMW or Ford, it can be easily integrated to the vehicle's system.
    In this case I knew the OP was referring to a VW but his question referred to the wire function as per DTA S40. I have labelled his to explain the function of the wires. and put in references to the german connections points.

I appreciate you do electrical work, but likewise I have been doing this a very long time.

11. rubjonny

eddie yes I know, it was no way meant to take away from what you said, only so I could help where exactly to run the ignition feed from. as you can see the very next post was 'where is the kl15' wire, which we cannot easily answer without knowign what car it is. and once we knew, we could tell him coil live wire :lol:

12. Toyotec

You mean you never tried that path? I am not looking at diagram but merely suggesting, based on my WOLF R that is supplied like this.

13. Toyotec

The question on 'Klemme 15' or terminal 15 is a follow on from the DTA specific question. I have already addressed this.

I have maximum respect for the OE automotive wiring diagram systems, but when you test/tune and integrate multiple vehicle ECUs or have concerns when mapping, you very quickly learn the other channels to pick up supply feeds when a diagram is not available.
    That is what I am doing here.

14. rubjonny

I got in there 1 minute before you :lol:

look I'm not trying to take away anything, I just have nothing better to do than post on the forums all day :lol: if you would rather I didnt post in any of your threads thats fine I'll avoid doing so in future :thumbup:

no the yellow/black wire on that 2 pin plug is not an ignition live feed on the 16v, its only live when the throttle is closed. as I say its the feed for the ecu to tell it when the engine should be idling :)

15. G28OPN Forum Member

Thanks Eddie & RJ. Think ive got ot now. Very new to all this and doing it all on my own. Except for all the help ive had from this club. I bought the dta and jenveys etc from a member on here, but it didnt have any instruction manual with it. Thanks again. :thumbup:

16. Toyotec

That would be black/yellow (sw/ge) not ge/sw. Your explanation refers the KR stabilization unit return voltage from throttle switch. We are talking about the integration DTA S40 SEM unit.
    As said this is how my WOLF R is wired to supply +12v to the ECU and prevent me from going inside to the fuse box.
    Alternatively without a diagram in front me, G28OPN can just use KL15 for switched ECU live, no biggie.

17. Toyotec

No worries.
    If there are any other question about the ECU or it's integration please ask :thumbup:

18. G28OPN Forum Member

Another question, for the both of you, will i benefit from using a lambada sensor?

19. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Having done this myself from a similar startpoint, this all seems unnecessarily complex.

In laymans language:

• Run direct to the battery ideally or find a spade-clip earth, any chassis earth in the fusebox area and connect to it. Tick.
    • Then for the "switched +ve", either run a feed up to the black coil wire, else pull that wire through the bulkhead into the fusebox area, shorten to requred length, and securely connect to it. Tick.
    • And for the "Bat +ve", something is missing here. Why does a standalone ECU need continuous live? Unless the S40 ECU requires continuous feed for logging purposes, it needs to be another "switched" - and fused - live which personally I would run through a relay, having hunted down a positive terminal on the fusebox and tested for live status (ignition key on/off). Tick.
      • + add relevant fuse to that line.

For fused relays, previously Ive taken relay blocks from a fuseboard (they unclip) and added it to the existing fuseboard. Add clip-on fuseblock on top for an OEM finish :thumbup:

20. rubjonny

Eddie you originally mentioned the MK2 KR 2 pin plug near the scuttle above, the black/yellow wire from here (sorry I said it the wrong way round :lol:) is NOT an ignition live feed, its from the idle switch! ;)

The KR ecu ignition power is the black/white wire, which runs from the other coil +ve spade along with the black wire to the TCI-H unit. This one only piggy backs off the fusebox black wire to the coil anyway so just use the coil black.