EIP tuning solid front engine mount

Discussion in 'Engines' started by GVK, Feb 11, 2004.

1. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I'm fed up of my engine flapping about and the usually fitted Vibratechnics mounts are quite expensive and are not totally bullet proof ;)

Seems a lot of the guys in the US use a solid front mount, ok it will transmit more vibration than the stock mount, but remember that the front cross member on a mk2 is rubber bushed to the chassis anyway ;)

Dollar is very weak to the pound at the moment (1.8 according to XE.com:o ) so it's a good time to buy from over the pond. :p

EIP tuning have had a lot of others copy their mount so they've dropped the price of theirs to $69.95 (37) - Just phoned them to order one and had the choice of postage $23 for a one week service or $49 (28) for 2-3 day service with tracking [:D] Me being an impatient tw*t I went for the quicker option.

So for about 65 I should get the mount later this week/early next, will let you know how I get on with it of course :thumbup:

http://www.eiptuning.com/eip/motormounts.html

2. Joe_G Forum Member

Brave Man. :)

Let me know how it goes, I'm thinking of one for mine, I don't care if it shakes my fillings out, at least the engine won't seem like it's trying to overtake the car at every opportunity!

Joe

3. Joe_G Forum Member

Actually might work a bit better on mine, I've got the rubber type rear mount which has got a bit more give in it so it might not be too harsh.

I think the tales of broken bits are from the yanks drag racing them or doing burnouts by dumping the clutch etc.

Joe

4. GVK

I don't do 1/4 miles so I won't be *too* hard on it.

One improvment I'm hoping for is to reduce that feeling of the engine flapping around when you're modulating the throttle mid corner [xx(]

5. Peter Forum Member

I was reading some comments on Vortex about the mentioned mount if i remember correctly owners commented that they were'nt to bad in terms of vibration, sounds like a result! Look forward to reading your comments, you can't beat the exchange rate I was looking at some of the new TT 276 cams and they worked out at around 260 the pair.

Pete

6. GVK

I've read on there about owners cracking cross members etc when using the solid mounts, but, they do a lot of drag racing over there ;)

I'll report how it is once it's fitted :)
    Edited by: G_V_K

7. Admin Guest

that would certainly put me off!

8. GVK

I don't do drag racing ;)

9. Admin Guest

fair enough! I like 1/4 mile days, so i've a chance of f*cking cross member etc? lol mines knackered at the front anyway, will need to replace it

good luck
    Edited by: Dave

10. GVK

11. Joe_G Forum Member

Hmm this powerflex insert looks interesting, I thought they had stopped making them but obviously not. Should think the original mount would only cost a few quid from the scrappers then bung the insert it, job done.

I might give Powerflex a ring tommorow for a price.

Powerflex Mount

Joe

12. GVK

You'll need the different front engine mount bracket too if fitting the earlier solid mount Joe:)

13. GVK

Workmate had a valid point yesterday when we were chatting about the vibrations from this mount.

"If you're bothered about NVH, you wouldn't have welded the f'kin seat to the floor" :lol:

14. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Hi

Due to the good dollar:pound ratio right now, I recently bought some stuff from the US but was amazed to be charged duty on the total cost of parts and shipping - so, parts+shipping x 104%, +17.5%, +10 flat charge from UPS. Also, the cost of the goods is calculated by using the exchange rate set by the customs and excise people which is only set once a month....so I was charged at the rate of 1.76 when infact at the time I ordered it was 1.92. Robbing fatherless childs. So when my bits arrived, the UPS man wanted a big slab of cash from me - what should have cost 100USD ended up costing 125UKP.

Cheers

Rob
    Edited by: RobT

15. Joe_G Forum Member

Well, got the same story from powerflex, they did make a mount as shown for a bit last year but then discontinued it. So the mount shown must just be part of the remaining stock left.

Ah well, lets hope this solid mount comes through okay and you don't get stung by customs.

Joe

16. Rallye Forum Junkie

Nice one Gary

im gunna order one too, shame would couldnt have gone halves on postage.

Anyone else fancy buying one with me?

17. GVK

I asked the guy at EIP about customs charges, he didn't *think* there would be any.. will wait and see ;)

18. Rallye Forum Junkie

yeah mark it as a gift and dont put any documentation in it

19. GVK

No doubt the bastards will sting me like they did RobT - Just my luck :lol:

20. Golf_BlokeMK2 Forum Member

yep gift marking always works :)...resident e-bay fanatic here :)