Electric Wing Mirrors MK2 golf

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Chrisrpal, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Chrisrpal Events Team

Hi Chaps,

I have got myself some heated, electric wing mirrors for the MK2 golf. It comes with the switch and wiring loom.

I haven't looked into wiring or power loadings yet.

Where is the best place to terminate the power feed? I guess window motor feed?

Cheers

Chris

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

where is your hazard switch, dash or column?

3. Chrisrpal Events Team

Column. Mine is the last of the MK2's if that helps.

4. rubjonny

right, factory spot is D/9 or D/11 on the fusebox, see my faq. you could also splice it to the ign live trigger that the electric windows use as you say :)

5. Chrisrpal Events Team

Cheers rubjonny :)

I will let you know how I get on.

6. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

I’m dragging this 11 year old thread up as it’s always frustrating to find a thread and for it to have no conclusion.
    These puppies landed today [:D]
    A5E9E47A-523C-4380-8764-46465808BD66.jpeg
    Now, a question for the the great and good @rubjonny
    I understand the green and white wire is D9 or D11 and I’m guessing the brown one is earth but what is the black and yellow for and where does it go?
    57BB2246-3962-412D-A703-80D30D3346A5.jpeg

7. PhilRyder

Ok, so I think I got that wrong. Further research indicates yellow and black (live) to D11 and green and white (heater element) to P3?

8. PhilRyder

Next question is are the motors available. One of my mirrors feels weak compared to the other and I think the motor may be passed it’s best.

9. davidut5 Forum Member

Cant even get heated glass!

10. PhilRyder

No but you can get glass and a heated pad. I’ve just replaced both sides. I’ll do a write up tomorrow.
    Motor seems to be the same as Passat b3 part no. 357 959 577 A. However, electric Passat mirrors only seem available in Lithuania :lol: B4 might be the same but I need to confirm this.

11. PhilRyder

Our new mirrors came with replacement glass, heat pads and brackets. It’s good job they did because when I opened the mirrors up for a clean and to test them I found that neither mirror had heated glass. The wiring was there but one side had no connectors and the other side one broke when I was adjusting it. It seems clear the glass had been replaced in the past but not with heated.
    This is what the mirror looks like inside, in case you were interested. The wire on the left is the one that broke.
    D28C0B77-8F90-47D8-B472-E5E7778EC170.jpeg
    The replacement bracket did not fit. At first I thought it was the tabs you see on the left so I removed them but even then, because the inner circle is not a whole circle the bracket is not flat when on the mechanism which makes it impossible to stick the mirror onto it. So I binned these.
    8250CFD9-F11C-4832-A57F-E1497D506B1E.jpeg
    I decided to use the original bracket/mirror mount. To remove the glass you need to heat the back with a hair dryer which softens the glue and you can gently prise the glass off. Doesn’t stop it breaking though [:v:] The other advantage here is that you can fit the mirror to the bracket before putting it back on the mechanism whereas with the Barack eats in the bin you have to fit them to the mechanism and then stick the glass on so you know it’s in the correct position :thumbup:

A2A61422-440E-4E23-AB4F-62959CFF4F94.jpeg
    Then you stick your heated pad to the glass making sure you get the connectors at the correct end so the wires reach.
    Of course the new connectors don’t correspond to the holes in the original bracket.
    C17DD9D0-9538-4CFD-A0FF-E5750E8D31D8.jpeg
    Some surgery is required and you can then stick the glass to the bracket/frame.
    C84BB931-0942-4A47-A90C-4379FA4F7D3A.jpeg
    Here you can see the new wire. I didn’t have the tiny connectors needed but I had some speaker wire tails so used those. The frame then simply clips back on to the mechanism and you know it is in the right position.

2B94EEEB-26D9-4A6D-92C2-00EEC81813BF.jpeg

I tested the heated glass with a IR thermometer and it works :clap: I let it go up to 30 degrees and that was enough for me to be able to “huff” on the glass and it not steam up.

I still need the answers to the above Qs though please RJ [:|] @rubjonny [:D]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
  12. Adamss24 Forum Member

Interesting. I have manual adjustment wing mirrors on the diesel 2 door and simple wing mirrors on the petrol gti. I wanted to swap the whole mirrors between them as the gti ones are better looking and had to change my plans. The difference is the 2 door has mechanical adjustment fixed on a bracket in the door with a rotary knob, gti mirrors are missing that option.

13. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Good write up on fitting the pads, are the mirror glass the same size as standard mirrors just out of interest?
    Did you still have the mk3 mirrors to strip and investigate motors, probably not I'm guessing though.

PhilRyder likes this.
  14. dodgy

15. PhilRyder

Glass was the same size almost exactly but ever so slightly curved for that panoramic view.
    I do still have one MK3 mirror - good shout :thumbup:
    Very useful - thank you :thumbup:

dodgy likes this.
  16. PhilRyder

MK3 motor. Quite different. Two motors instead of one and solenoid.
    35FF9A5F-4DB7-404C-B3A6-FCF0FAC57075.jpeg

17. dodgy

Unfortunately that was what read, but looks like e36 may be an option, if can find one of those even now.

Motor from the mk3 not swappable then, shame.

18. PhilRyder

Quick search on eBay reveal a fair few e36 mirrors for sale. The motor does indeed appear to be the same. The motors are available new as well it seems, a steal at over £100 :lol:

dodgy likes this.
  19. rubjonny

PhilRyder likes this.
  20. rubjonny

you can get the glass off without breaking it if you're extra careful. I've done this on non-heated sets and slipped a heating pad in between. way I did it was gently heating the adhesive and having the glass face down on a flat surface. pullt the backign up carefully while pressing the glass down flat with as many points as you can to prevent any kind of bending on the glass

you can source heated glass complete though and tbh I've not seen the heated glass upgrade pads on ebay for a long while. the backing pads are garbage as above so you're better off trying to get some bust genuine ones. also easy to ID non-gen glass if you can get them on with the included pads as the genuine backing curls around the glass all round the outside which is a dead givaway. might be an idea to smear a very thin bead of silicone around the aftermarket glass to help seal as the cheaper stuff corrodes round the edges very quickly as I found on our cheap bora blue ones, perhaps a little extra sealing will help prevent water creeping in between the glass and reflective backing