Electric Wing Mirrors MK2 golf

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Chrisrpal, Feb 23, 2011.

1. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

its in the Electrical FAQ, theres lots of handy things stashed in the various FAQ sections across the board often missed :)

3. PhilRyder

Right then, E36 BMW mirror arrived (thanks @dodgy :thumbup: ) and guess what, spot the difference…….
    E195A608-A610-4881-B56A-8E54B0011D19.jpeg
    That’s right, there isn’t any [:D] Even the wire colours are the same which enabled me to test on the MK2 loom - drum roll…..it works.
    The wires are thinner and the connector certainly different and while I could chop into the loom and use solder and spades I’d rather get the right connectors.
    So, what are these connectors and spades called so I can find some on line?
    6C3B363F-7903-4772-9AEB-7C9A2431DC78.jpeg
    5E013B7F-3768-4559-B646-4FC9E48B597B.jpeg
    445A32E2-73CB-4AFA-88DB-15024E84B118.jpeg
    8ADF99D3-1495-469B-A863-6B73F7819C80.jpeg
    D10DFA0C-A640-40F8-BA23-8D59923FD433.jpeg

dodgy likes this.
  4. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Old stomping ground @PhilRyder , was a lucky find.
    Delivery was quick despite coming by tractor.
    Looked at pic and thought was slightly bigger.
    Good result.

PhilRyder likes this.
  5. PhilRyder

One is nearer to the camera :lol:

I might just change the connectors for some nice modern ones, can’t do any harm.

6. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Screenshot_20220308-185107_Chrome.jpg

PhilRyder likes this.
  7. rubjonny

PhilRyder likes this.
  8. davidut5 Forum Member

Really want to fit heated mirrors on my jetta ce2. There is nowhere i can find heated glass, not even used ones.
    There are however available for bmw e36, and cheap. Does the whole glass fit the mk2, if not i guess i can steal the heating element, but just more work involved that i would like to avoid.
    There are available TYC, ALKAR, klokkerholm and VAN WEZEL, not sure about quality on those, have about same price.

9. PhilRyder

Just buy a heated stick on element, I did.

Something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/39369622...-5R887dR_G&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

or this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12159863...-5R887dR_G&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

10. davidut5 Forum Member

Searched a few hours to find something available local(Romania) but nothing found, hope to be done this week.
    Thanks.

11. davidut5 Forum Member

Just finished them both, not a very hard job.
    Got 2 new e36 heated mirrors, salvaged heater element and put on my mirrors. None of them broke and reused original glue. Hope they wont fall off.
    Oh and the bmw do not fit mk2s, they are slightly bigger, and touch the housing.
    On a side note, the right(lhd) one is tinted and convex, but driver side is flat not tinted. Both are genuine 90-91 manufactured, are they supose to be different?

Attached Files:

12. davidut5 Forum Member

Got them installed, but not very fast to heat up like it did on my test bench at 14+ volts. When i measured on the car had 10v ignition on and 12+ engine on. At 14v got 0.8A per mirror, when it gets hot drops down to 0.5A. By my calculations they have 9w power, saw some pads that state 15w.
    The left one wired to fusebox white wire going to rear defogger, right one wired to defogger button. A proper fuse inline just for mirrors would be nice.
    Was thinking a relay would fix the issue, but there is already a mess of extra wires/relays in there.

Attached Files:

13. rubjonny

is it the heater switch causing the issue or is it because they're sharing the feeds with the rear screen? easy to test either way probe the switch input pun black/yellow vs output, plus you can disconnect the tailgate wiring to the rear screen near the rear left light behind the boot card/carpet. look for the plug wit the white wire, disconnect that and see if it helps

the rear screen switch is powered by the X-relief relay which also powers the wipers, maybe check to see if its that which is causing the drop

davidut5 likes this.
  14. davidut5 Forum Member

I think the problem is sharing with the rear screen. Did not investigate further, figured it is "normal".
    Also don't know how much current the rear screen uses, could be 5-10A maybe more.