Engine catching brake servo :/ Golf mk2 20vt

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by shiggins92, May 10, 2014.

1. Jommanjo Forum Member

I had to use a longer Passat 4cyl/02a rear arm for clearance after my Qpeng downpipe fouled the steering boot and the standard Mk2 MS touched the cover. It sorted it. Vibratech gearbox and front mount, with a poly insert in the main mount.

No time at the mo, but will have a look for a number in a few days.

2. dsj20v Forum Member

Passat rear mount bracket/ g60 rear mount, 02a gearbox mount bracket/ oem g60 mount, 02a front mount bracket with the longer 150mm bolts iirc (for starter) with vibratechnic fast road mount, cupra master cylinder, absolute perfect fit first time no fouling of anything

Richard Mk2 likes this.
  3. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

I'm using a G60 rear engine bracket on the standard MK2 GTI mount.

Is there a big difference using the G60 mount ?

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I havent found a part number for the mythical passat longer arm, the g60 one is fine and is the same as what the corrado 4 cylinder and most passat used

what I have seen is theres a b3 passat 'poverty spec' one which is fitted to all except the kr and 9a passat, this one is also used on early corrado kr engines 357199354. Then theres the kr/9a passat one 535199354C (previously 357199354H) which is used on the golf g60 and all corrado 4 cylinder except early kr. I cant see there being a difference in length between them, sicne both are listed for the corrado...

the 357 version is used on the b4 poverty spec 1.8 petrol and 1.9 diesel 75-90bhp ABS, AAM, AAZ and ADZ models, but then the 535 one is also listed for ABS and ADZ with no mention of when or why. all the other B4 passats use MK3 type mounts.

anyway, pics I have found seem to show no difference in length just the H/C part has extra pins on which are used to secure heat proof matting:
    357199354:
    [​IMG]

357199354H/535199354C:
    [​IMG]

5. turbotommy Forum Member

Interesting jonny!
    Just took a pic of mine

[​IMG]

Same as the 1st one in your pics. I use an Ibiza master cylinder and its no where near the cam pully.
    There are 2 x styles of rear engine mount,I use the 16v/G60 style which ook like this;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ENGINE-MO...Model:Golf|Plat_Gen:MK+II&hash=item540c181a88

Mine

[​IMG]

The 02A & 02J gearbox brackets are the same as far as I know,does not seem to be much difference in the hight of all the matching mk2/3 gearbox mounts either.
    There is a difference in the front mounts & brackets. The engine in the 1st post looks to be tilting backwards pushing the cam pully onto the M/C,lowering the front mount would tilt it forward away from it. I'd be tempted to use one of Duffs mk2 VR6 solid engine mounts,these are lower/shorter than the mk2 mounts so it would lower the front. This would also require the fitting of a mk3 front engine mount bracket though.

6. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

So should I be using a 16/G60 rear engine mount on mine then, as I'm using a Mk2 8v GTI one at the moment. ?

7. turbotommy Forum Member

Rich,I'm a firm believer in if it fits ok & your happy with it,then leave it alone :-) no point in fixing it if its not broken!

8. rubjonny

the mk2 8v ones are fine if in good nick, if your engien isnt trying to escape then dont worry :)

9. andynotts77 Forum Member

I'm with this guy... I had the same issue with my conversion and bought a solid mount a guy on here makes? Can't remember his name? Anyone remember?

With the solid mount being shorter in height and solid it's cured my issue and im running 320bhp...

10. smokeingun Forum Member

I had both passat and 16v rear mounts there was about half inch difference in length from face of bracket to rear bolt holes

11. shiggins92 Forum Member

RESULT

I have now fitted the 4 cylinder Corrado bracket 357199354 with a new G60 rear mount while I was at it and here's the difference!

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It doesn't catch at all now :thumbup:

I think eventually I will be going for Vibratechnic fast road mounts all round as the mounts don't last long at all with double the torque but I do quite a few trackdays and use it as a daily at the moment while the weather is nice. If yours is a weekend car it shouldn't need firmer mounts.

It took me just over 2 hours to fit both the mount and rear bracket but that was at a chilled out pace while talking with friends etc. I put the front of the car on axle stands and placed a jack under the sump with a piece of wood. I raised and lowered the engine a few times to line it all up to get the bolts in etc which made it a lot easier. I also had to bend the oil line out the way to get to one of the bolts but put it back when I finished.

Huge thanks for the help!! Especially Rubjonny!!

12. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

Change that timing belt!

13. shiggins92 Forum Member

14. Dwaynepowley6969 New Member

Anyone on this thread still about I need abit of info on the Corrado bracket 357199354 I can only find 357199354j .... with the j at end is this ok or not ?

15. rubjonny

357199354J is for the VR6, no use to you. You need 535199354, 357199354, 357199354H or 535199354C

16. sweetcorne Forum Member

17. Dwaynepowley6969 New Member

Thanks for the info again bud was sure if the code without letter at end was missing You can probs tell I'm new to all this but I'm trying to learn and teach myself what's needed

18. Dwaynepowley6969 New Member

Proper ruff looking that mount tho. Anyone have mounts for sale ?

19. rubjonny

bracket will be fine, and pretty bargainous price. the mounts you should buy new ;)

20. Dwaynepowley6969 New Member

Ok thanks man Do you still make looms?