Engine conversion decided

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Dubber84, Oct 21, 2020.

1. davkav

davkav Paid Member Paid Member

Or his sanity

2. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

What’s the rough guide on pricing for this electric conversion if I may ask?

Dubber84 likes this.
  3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

polo GT ecu isnt a bad idea really, its pretty similar setup to yours and gives a nice little bump up. no need to change the head just fit the cam and dizzy to match plus the few other bits and bobs that differ between them

Dubber84 likes this.
  4. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

A crashed Tesla has got to be 10-15k minimum surely?

it’d probably be cheaper to source the kit and go that way. I’ve always wanted too, won’t be able to afford it for a good few years

5. Dubber84

Dubber84 Paid Member Paid Member

There’s a few companies out there that supply the whole conversion kit and fit it it for you. You also save money if you are to remove your existing engine. Prices range from around 15k right up to 65k depending on how much power you want. I don’t need 500bhp although it would be nice it’s not necessary, I’m looking at having about 200bhp. It’s an increase from the 55bhp I have now and there’s no more fuel bills or service costs. Plus it will last a lot longer than any engine I put in. And if I sort all the bodywork out with this conversion the car will be set to last another 50+ years (fingers crossed) and something I can leave to my kids and enjoy many years after I’ve gone :)

davkav, 1990 and NateS2 like this.
  6. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Roughly costed it for mini about a year ago, think was 4k+ then import taxes too,
    Theres a guy that planned it on a Volvo on a website and was prohibitive cost wise, but have seen stuff done with forklift motors too, last time had batteries done on one of them it was 2000 and they are huge.
    I know battery technology has changed, but dont think it's for me yet.
    Theres a pug 106 in atwell wilson museum in Wiltshire that is electric, but batteries are kapur.

7. Savagesam

Well they did make an electric mk2 from factory didn’t they.

8. NateS2

NateS2 Paid Member Paid Member

This should be interesting! I guess if you don't want crazy power then you've got loads more options. Nissan Leaf, e-Golf motors about 2k for the former. And then obviously the batteries and the implementation are going to be the expensive bit

Savagesam likes this.
  9. abf"d mk1 Paid Member Paid Member

ok around town i guess, but untill they do 3 to 400 miles on a charge and fully charge in 5 to 10 minutes , not for me. (there may be ev,s that do this now but as im not interested i dont read about them)

Tristan likes this.
  10. Savagesam

Until I can do my 600 mile weekly commute on a charge, I’m not interested either

11. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I’d have it, @Sirguydo s milk float kicked arse at Curby :thumbup: That power in a Mk2 [8-}]

12. Savagesam

Yeah, that was bloody quick!!

costel1969 and 1990 like this.