Engine flush a good idea??

Discussion in 'Engines' started by harry_the_cake, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

I always run engine flush, then run the car for 5 minutes on cheap oil, then put new filter and oil in.

There is no way that engine flush causes the danger to engines you are on about -- unless you have some magical super power engine flush that none of us mortals know about? Is it only available if you show your kryptonite-allergy card?

2. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

3. Joe_G Forum Member

Most engine flush is just paraffin isn't it?

4. Joe_G Forum Member

I generally flush an engine when I first get it then just do regular (4k) changes with synta.

5. alunwm Forum Member

Im going to goe ond flosh mi onjon thon use some quoloty oil to lobricote it. thon Oi om going to doscover some mor vowols.

;)

6. davidwort Forum Member

IMO, it's OK to use flush if you always use it at oil changes, don't start with this stuff on an old engine that's never had the treatment, your likely to at least spring leaks you didn't have before and at worst dislodge gunk that was quite happily stuck somewhere innocent in the block.
    Far better to just do regular oil changes on a car that's been neglected for a while using a good quality mineral like Quantum silver.

David.

7. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

The tins you add are generally paraffin based. The gallon cans you get of proper flushing oil are a thinner than normal oil, with a far higher load of detergents than you get in a normal engine oil.

8. hole in one New Member

oils have additives in them so mixing othere stuff with the oil is't a good idea i could react with some chemicals in the oil like magnotec, is not called magnotec for F**K all is it. it has stuff in it to help stick so that bit of engine flush that is still left over is't helping the magnotec stick to its full potental so wat the point in puting magnotec in it if it's not doing its job properly. (you do get wat you pay for and magnotec is't that cheap)

oil is oil it dos't mater wot u put in the enginge it want be 100% flusht and useing a good qualaty oil is more the inuf to keep the engine runing to it best potential.

simp as 123.
    Edited by: hole in one

9. The Pig Forum Member

I wouldn't put Magnatec in my lawn-mower

10. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

its not about flushing the oil though.
    you use a flush to clean carbon and stuck deposits from crankcase,oil ways...etc.

and as far as flush removing oil,,,,flush is an oil!
    just thinner with detergents.if it could magically remove oil from bearings etc without leaving a trace of itself then i certainly wouldnt fekin use it!
    Edited by: riley

11. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

Then you'd better not swim in it eh? :p

Er, which one is it then?

No offence, but i find it hard to accept fairly technical advice from someone who can't spell. Maybe it's just me [:[]

12. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

:lol: if ya get what you pay for then why the hell did mine rattle its funbags off with mobil 1?

magnatec made it quieter then gone on to use synta :thumbup:

13. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Err, sorry to drag this debate on but your reply is retarded. For a start, learn to f**king spell. Then learn a bit about engines, then learn a bit about oil grades , who makes what oil and their detergent content. Then learn a little about what happens to an engine which gets too coked up. Then come back and apologise for being wrong, if you are man enough.

Edit... easy with the languge tiger.

Edited by: gbolton

14. alunwm Forum Member

15. Mr T Forum Member

Ditto TSC. :lol:

Ive used magnatec 10/40 in my 8v, and Castrol SLX in the 20 valve, for some time, what do people have against Castrol/magnatec??
    At the end of the day, if flushing oils or additives did any damage they wouldn't be available. By my understanding they are generally parafin based, with additional detergents, not really gona do any harm.

16. mark25 Forum Junkie

Fact: there's about a pint of old oil left in a mkII on a normal (i.e. on ramps) oil change. So, if you put cheap oil or flush in, a bit will be left in with your new oil. The flush will break your new oil down straight away and the cheap oil will break down and cause more deposits, etc.

But does it matter? Personally i wouldn't put either in, but if a did and i cared about my engine, i would drop the sump to get most of it out.

It would be useful for someone on here to start a mega-mileage poll with flush/not sections, then we'd know for sure and we could talk about that rather than each others English skills.

Mark

17. Cart horse New Member

Ever tried slick 50 engine treatment on your car?
    This puts a PTFE covering on all engine parts.

Fast cart

18. Dave VR6 Forum Member

No

19. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

The flush doesn't break down the oil - the detergents used are the same sort of thing as in a normal engine oil. And as far as mega mileage goes, I did a very thorough flush on my 210k 535i (which was VERY sludgy) and had absolutely no problems. In fact I've flushed every car I've ever serviced (rather a lot.... [:s] ), and never had any problems whatsoever.

20. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

If you spring a leak then your engine was being sealed up by sludgy greasy shiite, not the seal. I want my engines to be sealed by the seals. So if I did spring a leak (and I never have) then I'd replace the seal. And that gunk that was stuck quite happily somewhere perfectly innocent in the block could also quite happily become unstuck, and end up somewhere much less innocent in the block - There's no place for sludgy old crap in an engine IMO.