!!Engine popped!!

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Stu.wilson, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Stu.wilson New Member

Right, well i've owned my Mk4 1.8T golf (1999) now for 1mnth and have popped the engine. Went through massive puddle in road (more like small bloody lake) it was huge!! and where i've got the cold air feed on it (and forgot about it!) went straight through and decided to try and suck the water up with my engine! CLEVER OLD ME!:clap: so cut a long sad story short, i've F#*ked the engine for sure and need a replacement one.

So can anyone recommend where i can get another one from, don't need fitting i can do that. Just supply only. Don't mind if it's a 2nd hand or recon one or new one, just need one fast or even an idea of cost would be a help.

Cheers for your help.

Stu

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

how exactly do you know that the engine is totalled? had the plugs out etc?

3. Stu.wilson New Member

Hi bud, best mates a mechanic with his own garage and he's had good look over it and also called his mate at VW main dealer and cheapest way forward by looks of things is to replace the engine. If he thought he could save it he would, he's a good bloke like that.

Cheers Stu

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

luckily its a relatively common engine. there will be lots of passats in breakers with that engine, depends how fussy you are.

do you have performance in mind or do you just want it to run again?

5. Seany Forum Member

Hi stu. I have a completely reconditioned BAM engine code 225bhp engine for sale if you are interested. The enigne has no ancillaries so could be ideal to swap the ancillaries from yours. PM me for details. Regards, Sean

6. mk1. Forum Junkie

water does not compress hence bent rods if its made its way into the bores[:s]

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

would have to be a serious ammount of water to do that though!

8. theboymike Forum Junkie

I don't think hot turbos like cold water much either [8(]

9. rubjonny

ah yeah, that wouldn't do it any good!

10. Stu.wilson New Member

Hi Guy's, lets just say after i'd finished sucking up all the water in that puddle there wern't much left, LOL :lol: . A serious amount was inside the engine and there wern't a thing i could do to stop it.

The engine code for mine is 'AGU', so i'm guessing 'BAM' would be no good. What is the difference between them all though?

Found a engine with turbo still on it (mind you it's just a K03, would like to pop a K03s on while it's off, can't afford anything bigger just yet anyone got one or know where to get one?), with 38k on clock with proof of this. Will be garuanteed for 3mnths and unlimited mile's for 850 + VAT so 1100 inc delivery. Now is this a good price or not?

Cheers Stu

11. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

just out of curiosity, how was your cold air feed setup?

12. Stu.wilson New Member

it's designed to sit just behind the front bumper, think i'l be getting rid though. Not taking any chances!

13. rubjonny

yeah i think you learned your lesson :lol:

14. Stu.wilson New Member

Yer, shame the company didn't pre warn me how low it was. Mind you it was an extreme situation/weather on saturday. So sure no1 else had this problem before, well no1 i've ever met.

I do have a history of blowing motors up though, luckily this is one of the cheaper one's i've done. Last one cost just shy of 4k! LOL [:s]

Stu

15. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i have a mk3 golf. i have a cold air feed positioned by the OSF bumper vent (where the horn is).

did about 150miles on saturday and came across some disgusting weather. may check in the air box to see if there is anything in there.

i have two feeds tho, one is a lot higher up. hence if one did end up in water, im sure it would just breath from the other and hopefully not suck up a lake

16. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Think Renault Espace`s used to run bumper level air inlet`s? seen a few with water ingest damage, not worth the risk!

17. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Forum Member

harsh luck.

1100 inc delivery is good yeah.. if it inc gearbox n stuff yeah./

18. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Aye, I remember reading in some car buying guide that there were two models of Renault with super-low intakes - it actally warned to check the engine for excessive vibration before buying, in case it had one or more bent rods!

My uncle was driving his Peugeout TD through a huge lake of a puddle a while back, doing all the right things - he's a "car guy" so knew what to do. Kept the revs up and went slowly so he could make sure the water wasn't getting anywhere near the intake.
    Then a HGV came belting the other way, and ploughed into the water, sending up a huge bow wave which washed right up over the Peugeout bonnet.:lol:
    Cue 2.5k of engine repairs.......[:s] :lol:

19. rubjonny

I wouldn't worry too much, I think the main issues here were a very deep puddle & a turbo! Given half a chance I'm sure it would have sucked a lake dry :lol:

20. garfayliu Forum Member

Bummer Stu... know how you feel, me cam belt went on sunday on my mk3 16V :( Got a repair bill of 2k from VW so mates helping me out now.

My initial thoughts were driving through a flood too, but that was about 2miles before my engine cut out. I've got a standard air box, which was wet but not flooded. Still not 100% sure why the belt went. Possibly a combination of it being 9years old but only done 45k and it being wet?