Ermmm....I knocked a guy off his bike, where do i stand?

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by funkbaron, Aug 3, 2006.

1. mk1madj Forum Member

As a cyclist & Scooterist my first answer was going to be "In the middle lane of a busy Motorway" but reading through the thread maybe it wasn't all your fault :p

Driving without due care & attention still springs to mind - sorry but what if it was a 12 year old kid!!! should they be in the road?

Glad to hear no-one was hurt though, it should be a lesson to all involved ;)

You - Ignore prats who flash you to go - use your own eye's [:D]
    Cyclist - Needs to pay more attention and stay away from nutters in cars :lol:
    Flasher - Needs to stop being a Road-Captain :clap:

2. keith_lemon

keith_lemon Forum Member

on the edge.... also north wales, close to rhyl

i done my cycling proficency course in school when i was 9, at this age i was told i should not ride on the pavement....... i don`t know if they still do it but i`m sure funkbarons old tweed suited, blind, agressive, unemployed drunk would have had one......

if it goes to court FB ask him if he done his proficency course

3. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

that new grille's gonna look sweet with your dead bumper![8D]

4. mk1madj Forum Member

I suppose you were both at fault really, if I was the judge I'd tell you both to p1ss of and stop wasting my time :lol: I think the official term is "knock for knock"

On the subject of riding on the pavement - when I'm out on my bike I spend 40% to 50% of my time on the pavement depending on where is safest (assuming there's no cars or pedestrians are on the pavement of course :lol: ) - Watch out for me wont you [:D]

5. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Sorry, but after 8yrs of driving with no incidents, I don't think I need any lectures on observation, etc.

The path itself, goes around the side of the pub, so at best, with my bonnet poking out of the turning, I can see about 10metres of it - as I was turning left, I only needed to look right to see the dosey mare flashing me out, to know the road was clear in that direction - the opposite flow of traffic is irrelevant, so I pulled out - MOST cyclists, including 12yr old kids, would have the common sense to realise **car bonnet poking out of junction + car about to pull out + car's right of way = stop**. He IS to blame, not me[:x] How come it's ok for him to be on the wrong side of the road, on a pavement, probably drunk tbqfh, heading for a junction where he see's a car coming out - prob saw the lady flashing too though his blurred vision, yet continues to fly through regardless. Think i've been more than helpful offerinfg to repair his bike. ****er

Last edited: Aug 4, 2006
  6. funkbaron Forum Junkie

[:^(] I am gutted that i've got my new grille and now this - but the bumper really needed renewing anyway.

7. misteralz Forum Member

Agree with the 'baron on this one - despite me being a cyclist. Or maybe because of... :lol:

8. funkbaron Forum Junkie

and stopping the traffic flow to do so??? But yeh, I see your point, these things can get turned against you.

9. EADubber Forum Member

the police turn a blind eye to people riding on the pavement, though technically its very much against the law (unless its been designated as shared use, but then there should be signing to tell you that) If i were you i'd report it to the police as they tend to be biased toward the more vulnerable road user. If you get in there first it will look better to all offical parties - esp. if you say he rode into you car damaging it then was abusive toward you when you appologised.

10. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Don't see much point in involving the police at this stage, just add more grief to the situation from my experience. It wasn't a designated cycle lane, just an ordinary (narrow) pathway, which like i said, you can visibly see about 10metres of when pulling out. Oh, and about 4yrs ago, i was cycling along a road, woman opened her door and sent me flying - severe damage to my bike, woman said i was riding to fast (on a push bike???) - i contacted the police and they didn't give a sh:t....

Gonna stand my ground, offer to buy him a cahinring, and fix his bike...he's lucky i'm even doing that tbh.

11. EADubber Forum Member

My only point with the police is to get in there first - you could be buggered if he goes to them with a sob story.

12. mk1madj Forum Member

:) I wasn't having a pop at you mate, but from point of view of an outsider - you drove into something directly in front of you - admittedly he was just as much at fault for putting himself infront of you in the 1st place. [8(]

I still see it as knock for knock - you were both at fault but neither is to blame, the perfect definition of an accident [:D]

:clap: I think its very good of you to offer to replace his chainring - seeing as its just as much his own fault as it was yours ;)

I'd report it to the Police but not press for any charges to be made - that way they'll have your side of the story recorded and won't be able to say you're making stuff up to try and get out of it if he goes to the Police later on :)

13. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Ok, no probs:)

UPDATE: Old boy has just phoned, was talking about me paying to hire a bike, etc for him to travel to work....sod that. I'm going around his place tomorrow, collecting his bike, takeing his chainring off, and straightening it between three or four 25kg cast iron weight disks and a mallet - it's a funny suntour multi-bolt thing, and would be special order, so can't wait on a replacement. Said I'd service his bike for him too...more tha fair I think:)

Meanwhile, I still need a new front bumper[8(]

14. ^^StEvIe-G^^ Forum Member

y don u take him to court and say u were sitting in your car and this drunk cyclist rammed str8 in2 your bumper :lol: and personally these cyclists in london think they own the road just the other day i seen 1 ride straight in2 the back of a bus coz he was looking at a fit pedestrian on the side of the road :lol:

15. Bundles Forum Junkie

The blokes taking the p*ss a bit methinks, but you would be best to try and get this sorted out as quickly and quietly as you can, just like you're doing. When you go to pick up his bike, talk about cycling and what kinda bike you've got (if you don't, google it), and compliment him on his bike etc. If you befriend him your sorted imo :)

16. ^^StEvIe-G^^ Forum Member

u dont need his friendship u need a new bumper

17. Bundles Forum Junkie

You don't actualy MAKE friends with him, you just make him think you have;)

18. ^^StEvIe-G^^ Forum Member

well yeah but still go with my story it'll work

19. ^^StEvIe-G^^ Forum Member

or mayb not are there cctv cameras at the top of any light poles?

20. leontdi Forum Member

problem with cyclists they come out from knowwhere as i found out a few years back was driving up my street about 20 mph when a kid on a bike came out of a road straight in front of me , i braked and just clipped the bike bent the wheels went to his house his mum saw it and apologised . it really **** me up but he came from knowhere and nothing i could do, he was fine didnt even have any bruising , the old duffer should be thankfull you didnt call the police .