Erratic Revs, Spluttering and cut out. Mk2 1.6 1984 Golf EZ

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Djslater81, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Djslater81

Djslater81 Forum Member

The pump is brand new (3rd one as well) which isn't that old either. (Perhaps I'm unlucky with pumps lol) I've got the facet pump just ain't had time to fit it what with two kids wanting attention along with everyone else however this weekend I will be looking at the car so if I have time I'll fit it as well to rule out weak pressure.

But before that I'll check the crank lobe and try running the pump direct to the carb it could be the bowl ain't filling up due to lack of fuel. I did restrict the return line with a spare jet but did notice quite a bit of fuel flowing back to the tank when it last brok down so I may try a smaller jet or welding tip.

Just out of curiosity does anyone know what's actually inside the swirl pot? Is it a diaphragm or something else.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I've not opened a pot to check, but I dont think theres anything inside it?

I know all about that, got 2 boys myself and my loom output has dropped off a fair bit :lol:

3. Djslater81

Djslater81 Forum Member

Yeah tell me about it. 9 year old boy and a 3 month old girl myself.

I've had a think about what could be causing it (which could be anything) I'm gonna check what mushy suggested about the float in the tank, I'll check the lines also to make sure it ain't kinked anywhere.

4. Djslater81

Djslater81 Forum Member

Oh I did do a google search for inside the swirl pot transpires there is nothing in it apart from a divider of some sort. But I think that might vary for different types/cars.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  5. Djslater81

Djslater81 Forum Member

Well I managed to escape my kids for a couple of hours to have a good old rummage in the boot for a screw driver, while I was doing that thought I would have a look to see if I could locate the fuel sender. Found it and noted that the fuel line looked like is was mouldy and brittle, it also felt soft. it looks like that the whole line (which is rubber and the tanks is plastic) could be buggered so this maybe reason I'm suffering with fuel starvation as doing a google search says some of the symptoms I'm getting is usually the result of a bad fuel line.

6. rubjonny

could well be, definitely worth replacing all the rubber bits in the fuel system then see how you go. note with the carb feed is 7mm id, return 5mm :)

Djslater81 likes this.
  7. Djslater81

Djslater81 Forum Member

Thanks RJ was trying to find the diameter for the lines. Unfortunately I can't fine anywhere that sells replacement lines, tried heritage but no luck.

8. Djslater81

Djslater81 Forum Member

Right fitted the electric fuel pump today just got to wire it up I have a question. I've got a malpassie filter king regulator and I want to know is the return line needed anymore as I've heard different suggestions on this. Some say yes others say no. I only ask because my return line is plastic and it's brittle and snapped in places. So I'm just going to pull the lot out and cap the return at the sender end.

9. rubjonny

I would keep it if possible, but plenty weber guys have it blocked off.

will the new carb setup require it? if not then a bit of a pain replacing the return only to remove it later...

10. Djslater81

Djslater81 Forum Member

I don't think it will be required as I've got a Weber 32/34 (brand new) back on as I thought the previous one was buggered but transpired it wasn't. That's now been sold after a full refurbishment.

I jacked up the car yesterday to fit the facet fuel pump (solid state one) and noticed that the return had cracks in it. Was completely brittle so I just took the whole lot out where as the main fuel line was fine. I've just blocked the return on the sender so until I've wired up the pump and regulated the fuel pressure I won't know. I'm hoping this solves the issue I had with poor fuelling