ethernet help for a dummy...

Discussion in 'Computers and Consoles' started by Riley, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

ill explain this best i can....

my dad has a laptop connected to the net via an ntl broadband modem using usb.

i have a pc in my room that isnt connected to the net,it used to be on dial up.

ive bought an ethernet cable.
    it looks like 1 end goes in the ntl modem and the other into my pc tower.

when i do this and click internet explorer it just trys to dial up as it used to....
    what do i do?
    [:s] :)

2. superden Forum Addict

Remove the dialler settings and use the NTL install CD ?

3. slick Forum Junkie

you need a router for the modem, this will split the signal to both the computers.

Also you will need to activate the lan connections in "My Network Places"

Right click go to properties, right click on LAN connection and then enable.

If it has auto detect on then it will pick up the signal of the broadband and then adjust everything to suit. You might have to turn your firewall off to do this.

4. Jeff Forum Junkie

chances are the ntl account only works on usb because its tied into that network adapter (its a usb one inside the router). you'll prob need to tell ntl the mac address of the ethernet card as well.

also you need to change internet explorers settings in internet options so it doesnt have "always dial my default connection" set. it shouldnt need to dial anything with bradband, but it will try to if that option is set.

5. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

ohh dear,i dont understand any of the above,sorry.
    its frustrating [:x]
    wheres my network places,im on xp (both pc and laptop)if this helps

6. slick Forum Junkie

Your network plces is on the desktop

underneath your picture where it says "my computer"

7. Bharat Forum Member

Ok, let's try something simple.

If you say you have bought and connected an Ethernet cable from the PC (not the laptop) to the NTL modem, I assume you had a Network/Ethernet card already in the PC ?

So on your Desktop on the PC, look for My Network Places icon. If you don't see it, it might be because of the stupid Windows XP default desktop, which will not show you certain icons, because Bill "t**t" Gates thought they may not be useful to you.

If that's the case, right click anywhere in an empty sport on the Desktop, then select Properties, and in the new window that pops up, goto the 2nd tab across the top, called DESKTOP and Customize Desktop option (towards the bottom).

In the window now, towards the top, you will have 4 items which may have the box ticked or unticked - you really want all 4 ticked.

You should be able to see the My Network Places icon on your desktop now.

Right click on it, and select Properties. In the new window that pops up, you should see your Network and/or Internet connection options.

The one probably being used will be your current Dial-up one.

Get to this stage and come back and tell us what all have you got in there ?

Oh yes, forgot to mention - on your desktop, right click on the Internet Explorer icon and click on Properties - in the new window that pops up, go to the Connections tab and look in the middle section - it might have "Always Dial" option selected - change that to Never Dial and click Apply, then OK, and try.

Edited by: Bharat

8. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

ok,done what you say.
    i now have tesco.net(disconnected)
    and lan(disconnected.
    :)

9. slick Forum Junkie

right click on the lan icon and right click on it.

Then press enable. It should then autodetect any signals coming from the router. Thus configuring itself.

Try to open a internet window and see if it loads.

10. slick Forum Junkie

11. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

done,now i have 2 internet explorers on my desktop.
    click one and it says,cant view offline,connect???

click the other and it says no internet connection enabled.

but yet in the bottom right it says lan connected at 100kbps??????

12. slick Forum Junkie

Now in your internet window go to tools and select internet options,

click on the connections tab and then setup. It should seach automatically for the default connection.

Then once that has finished click on it and then set to default.

13. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

it didnt search but gave me options.

connect to internet.
    connect to internet at work.
    setup home or small office network.
    advanced connections.

Edited by: riley

14. slick Forum Junkie

try the first one

15. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

tried it,it says setup broadband with pasword or broadband without.
    tried both to no avail [:^(] [:x]

16. slick Forum Junkie

Go back to the part where it says to set up a home network, go through the process of setting that up and don't apply any passwords to it. Make sure you read all of the boxes properly i have had trouble by not reading them before.

17. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

hasnt worked.

18. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

its doing my fakin head in now [:x]
    why cant computers be simple?

19. Jeff Forum Junkie

i still think ntl are blocking the network card because its been set up via usb. I had telewest broadband like that, adn i had to go onto their custmer services page first and tell them the mac address of my netwrok card before it would work.

the mac address is a unique physical address thats burned into the network card, every one in the world should be different. to find it out, click start, run and type in cmd. then at the command promtp (black window) type "ipconfig /all" and youll see a physical address listed for your ethernet card. write it down (should be something like ae-06-f1-45-bb-00) and then look on ntl's website for a customer services area where you can access your account. there should be a place there to add another mac address. assuming the service you've got lets you have more than one!

20. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

ok,cheers jeff and everyone else for the input.

will have another crack at it tommorow. :thumbup:
    Edited by: riley