Exhaust nightmares!!

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Alpenweiss2, May 28, 2010.

1. Alpenweiss2 Forum Member

Following my recent engine rebuild, I decided to fit a stainless system (that Funkbaron had for sale on this forum) to get the best out of the new engine.

It was a Jetex 2.5" 16 valve full stainless three silencer system. After having it fitted to my 8 valve gti (with a Jetex reducer pipe), I was very disappointed with how noisy and boomy it was and also the fact that it constantly knocked against the shock absorber mounting bolt. Decided that the system wasn't for me. Previously the car had a standard full VW system fitted and I loved how quiet and understated it was. Could not believe how much boomier the Jetex was.

Anyway, decided to get a custom stainless system made (local company) to replace the Jetex and to sell the Jetex on!

I specified to the guy making the exhaust that it must be almost as quiet as the standard VW system, and he promised me a decent system. Took the car in today to get the system built and fitted and went over after work this evening to pick it up! Fair play to the guy he had created a really smart looking system with twin angled tailpipes very similar to the OEM system.

Fired up the car and though it sounded a bit loud...the guy said it would be fine, so I took his word for it?? I paid up and headed off home. Basically...my new exhaust is LOUD as HELL!! Really, really annoyed and dissapointed[:x]

It really drones at 70mph and is even louder than the 2.5" Jetex. The system he has made has three silencers and the bore is 2". I rang him to explain how dissapointed I am and he has offered to re-do the system with more baffles and tailpipe inserts.

Is it the case that stainless exhausts are noiser than mild steel?

Really hacked off![:x] I just want a free flowing long lasting system that is quiet...it's not much to ask is it??

Cheers Alpenweiss2 [:^(]

2. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I had a powerflow put on my old mk2 vr6 and it was lovely and quite but sounded great when blasting it, that was s/s and not loud at all.

3. kipvr Forum Member

join the club. I have a Jetex system (not the 2.5" though) and that's quite loud.

4. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

It`s more to do with the baffles in the silencer(s), rather than what it`s made from.

Most custom stainless exhausts use freer-flowing silencers (ie, less baffling) so are by their very nature louder.

I have a custom 2.5" stainless three-box system on my Mk2 (constructed by Ian Birch at Pipewerx). He advised me that, on an 8v it would be extremely loud. Too loud in fact! This from the man who built Big Dub! :lol:

Anyway loud is what I wanted, and is most definately what I got...

If your guy is happy and able to fit more baffles, then you should be fine. Afterall that is the point of custom building something; you can get it just right through trial and error. :thumbup:

5. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

My 8v came with a full Scorpian DTM that's actually quite quiet on the motorway and has a nice open throttle sound, looks like mild steel and from hearing mild to stainless almost back to back (Jetex on a 9A and ABF) they do sound different.

6. paultownsend Forum Member

it seems with jetex, the bigger the engine, the quieter they get! going from 8v-16v, my 2" system went noticeably subtle

7. pigbladder Forum Addict

i think the very nature of these custom exhaust places is that theyre sports silencers , lets face it i bet most customers are young lads wanting a saxo or the like to sound loud , so thats what they do

are they big flat /oval boxes similar size to std , or round motorbike style cans?

i think a std vw system , maybe 16v spec would do you ..they last ok anyway and you can always paint it up every year to help

8. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Pics of the tailpipe?

9. pigbladder Forum Addict

cant see him changing it from embarasing to oem with a couple of tailpipe inserts

mate of mate had just the same thing on a g60 last week

10. timo16v

timo16v Paid Member Paid Member

....freer flowing, bigger bore, thinner wall......only ever gonna be louder tbh

i have found milltek and jetex to be the quitest on the market:thumbup:

personally i have a 3 box scorpion system on a TSR 4 branch with a big valve head 2.0 8v...........perfect recipe for perforated eardrums on a "blast"

11. keith_lemon

keith_lemon Forum Member

on the edge.... also north wales, close to rhyl
    ive seen some real corkers come from there - also i have seen some right bodges (only when the owner asks for a bodge that is) - he generally does some good work....

you say his client list is the prestige market however i have seen countless ammounts of young folk with straight through systems jotting about chanting his name as mint AIIIII.

to be fair as said above the silencers will be high flow and it will never be as quiet as a std system, its down to the make/maker as to where the resonance kicks in - in your case it sounds like it is resonating at the wrong engine speeds for your personal preference

12. pigbladder Forum Addict

does it drive any better /worse power wise

cant honestly say ive never felt a differance swapping exhausts

13. alexisblades99 Forum Member

Maybe get him to add a resonator box to take out the boominess at certain engine speeds?

14. Raider Forum Member

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  15. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

This may be silly this, but:

Mild steel is a relatively soft material and will absorb vibrations.

From what I have seen of stainless exhausts, they are quite high strength and relatively thin. So, should vibrate like buggery.

Why does no one make exhausts, from the downpie back, from aluminium? Lighter, and will absorb vibrations even better.

What about Titanium?

16. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

He's used cheap steel as well - 304 stainless instead of 316. It'll still rust out.

17. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Titanium would be too expensive, and the acid in exhaust gases (and hence condensate) would eat through aluminium in no time!

18. Dave

So, the inside of the aluminium needs a thin coating of titanium!

Chemical vapour deposition (CVD) is a chemical process used to produce high-purity, high-performance solid materials. In a typical CVD process, the substrate, aluminium, is exposed to one or more volatile precursors, which react and/or decompose on the substrate surface to produce the desired deposit. Microfabrication processes widely use CVD to deposit materials in various forms, including: monocrystalline, polycrystalline, amorphous, and epitaxial. These materials include: titanium nitride

Or, a thin tube of titanium is shrunk into an aluminium tube, which is hard anodised on the outside. Could have some pretty colours then

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  19. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Dogwoods polo has a titanium exhaust, he did say something along the lines of him losing the plot at the point of deciding to fit it, must have cost alot for a few kilos saving.

As far as exhausts go I have a bog std 8v system on the cabby with a chopped tail pipe to replace it with a 2.25" one not 1.75", drilled airbox and k+n panel filter makes it quiet until you go WOT then its quite deep and nice, actually get a few compliments on how nice the car sounds, gti systems flow well anyway so upgrading is almost pointless unless your running a really fruity n/a spec of forced induction.

Jetax on one 16v mk2 with a 4 branch and its pretty loud considering its got 3 silencers and it hits the rear suspension bottom bolt so thats a common problem.

Scorpion exhaust on the other 16v mk2 with std manifold, one std vw silencer and two more scorpion boxes and the rear box, it seems very quiet but havent driving it really hard yet.

I had a custom one on a 8v golf before no silencers, 2.5" system, hardly any baffles in the back box, it was so loud and probably was the cause of the engine not producing good power.

20. Dave

Mine is a standard system, but there is no front silencer. I believe that some EVs and GUs were supplied like this! Anyway, it has rotted adjacent to the front clip. So tried to get a new pipe. Not available any more! 100 for a VAG silencer!!!! The mig welder is out of storage and running on gas. Argon that is!