Favourite guitar solos ...

Discussion in 'Music' started by superden, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Jon+Em Forum Member

I don't think I have a Favourite!

I am liking yngwie malmsteen at the mo. He has to be the best technical guitarist on the planet. Although it's difficult to listen to for long, (makes me feel humongously inadaquet)

Also liking dragonforce, purely for the solo on whichever track scuzz wont stop playing! Two guys seemlessly joining insanely technical solos. I didn't realise it was two guys til I saw the video.

But that being said, the pure simplicity of the solo in Nirvana's unplugged cover of Bowie's "the man who sold the world" still makes my spine tingle. I was 10 when I first heard that, and it's still as amazing now as it was to me then!

And you cant beat a bit of Leadbelly! raw, original blues solos played on a battered acoustic.

Oh and on this,

I was one of "those kids" 6 or 7 years ago, we all start somewhere. These kids see a band on tv, like what they hear and then buy t-shirts and go to gig's? wtf is wrong with that? I teach "those kids" music in youth centres, they're always eager to learn and soooooo happy to be part of the "scene" Next you'll be ragging on how silly emo's look. or how we should cut our hair. Just remember, in 10+ yrs they'll be us, wandering round gigs tripping over kids that look just like they did!

Jon+Em
    Edited by: Jon+Em

2. Dub Dave Forum Member

Sorry dude, your missing my point.
    I used to teach kids at a youth club too :)

Anyway, Emo isnt Emo, and I hate the way its called emo nowadays [:x] Emo is Straight edge. Not black hair and a rucksack chucking eggs at old people or whatever kids do nowadays. My 1st gig was 12 years ago, Guns N' Roses. People prolly looked at me like 'what the f*ck is he doing here, damn kid' but back then there ws lot more respect for the older folk. Now there is none of that. Ive stopped going to the rock city cos of it. I dont know what my point is. Maybe its I love laughing at Dragonforce and Trivium fans?
    Now where IS my Fall Out Boy CD....

3. Nordoff Forum Junkie

Freebird - Lynryd Skyrnyrd
    Sweet child O Mine - GnR
    Cowboys from Hell - Pantera
    Soma city Ward - Slash's Snakepit
    New Rising Sun - Hendrix

Hate the idea of liking stuff because of how technical it is, actually put me off music for a while as I was listening to how the guitarist was playing rather than what they were playing.

4. icedub New Member

Oh yes! Top choices there.:clap:

Also: Perfect Circle - Judith.

5. thebluebus Forum Junkie

[8D] good call!

6. beastieboy Forum Member

agreed. absolutly one of my favourite covers EVER ! like you, makes me feel all funny when i listen to it (in a good way). Infact, the whole unplugged album is awesome.

7. Jon+Em Forum Member

I love the way he took the vaselines' reworking of "jesus doesn't want me for a sunbeam" and turned it into this eery, well I suppose it was almost a goodbye. Don't think he intended it that way, it was just how it turned out. :(

Jon+Em

8. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

as much as i like that track (listening to it now infact...)

Jimi's All Along The Watchtower must be the best cover ever :)

9. beastieboy Forum Member

again, agreed, awesome. while we're on the subject of covers i can also mention The Futureheads - "Hounds Of Love". excellent cover.

10. driver Forum Member

Heh, Fall Out Boy suck... Did you see how much tickets were going for on Ebay? A (rather foolish) friend of mine paid 56 for one ticket [:s]...

I see your point about kids though... I've been into Reel Big Fish since 1997 and, having only recently had the funds to go to a gig, was disappointed to find many a mini-mosher pushing the crowd around - they didn't even know the words to 'Boss DJ'!! Originally by Sublime... Crowd surfers get up my nose too, and I'm only 17. Whatever will I be like when I'm in my 30s?

Just to add to this I rather like the solo (for sound not skill) from 'Please Play This Song On The Radio' by NoFX...

Oh yeah and the way I distinguish between old-skool emos and these modern scene-emos is by calling the new ones 'emofags'... because they're fags.

Adam.