few 2e/pb conv questions

Discussion in '8-valve' started by neil kaye, Feb 16, 2009.

1. neil kaye Forum Junkie

thanks alan
    thanks john,were using 2e bottom,2e dizzy,pb head with pb,digi management

got a small prob i hope you can help with ,the engine has started to run at high revs,creeps up on idle,and as driving along the fuel pump keeps clicking(replaced that,and it was hot,especially one of the heavier pins)and momentary loss of power,if i take the isv wires off it will idle fine,im thinking blue temp sender,does this sound correct,oh tried a different relay for ecu too and no change,does this as the car is warming up ,ok when cold
    cheers
    neil

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

check the wiring to the throttle switches, and when the idle starts creeping up try pressing the switch on top of the throttle body to see if it drops back down. Assume you mean the relay is clicking? Perhaps the ecu earth trigger for the pump is starting to go, check the 3 pin plug next to the ecu, make sure the pins are in good nick, may as well check the ecu pins as well. The pump earth trigger is the red/yellow wire. Also check the gearbox earth is good, may as well check all the other battery cabling too :lol:

It could also be a lifter pump faulure causing the main pump to strain, pull the plug from the main pump and turn the key 1 click, make sure you can hear the lift pump prime.

3. neil kaye Forum Junkie

ok just got back not checked any of this yet john but i dissconected the isv and it runs normal,,,with isv connected(in 5th on motorway doing 70ish) the engine was cutting out for a slpit second-every few seconds like a bad misfire,or as if fuel or spark was cut
    yes clicking was the relay

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

ecu is loosing power or earth I'd say! I had a similar thing on mine when i had a damaged fuel injector rail wire, got worse till it snapped! also check the earths to the side of the head. On mine they all snapped at the same time as the fuel rail wire

5. neil kaye Forum Junkie

we did all the earths that time i emaild you about the ecu relay,all earths we renewd,will still have a check to eliminate this but we only did them ALL about a month or so ago

do you know what the standard piston sizes are on the 2e

6. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

7. neil kaye Forum Junkie

thanks that confirms the block's standard it has 82.485 stamped on the pistons,we fit another spare blue temp sender tonight in the engine thats in now and did 20 miles or so and run like a dream so fingers crossed thats all it was ,just wanna make sure this one is running ok before the swap