Finding a mk3 gti

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by The db, Mar 6, 2008.

1. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

I went from a mk2 driver (G plate) to a MK3 16v (P plate) and although it was a driver and not a GTI the difference was a lot, MK3's are imo a lot quiter, smoother, heavier, making them feel bit more planted which is some times better. The 16's also have a real nice gear change, nice weighty power steering and decent brakes (288 later ones)

As a general road car they are streets ahead of a mk2, although when you want to have fun, I know what I would rather be in.......;)

2. stew72 Forum Member

my advice for what its worth....

If the sole purpose of buying one is for the commute then don't entertain anything but a standard one so you get a decent deal on insurance too. Buy from outside the "scene" so you pay real world money too, no Mk3 GTI that you would buy as a daily should ever cost any more than 1500.

If you start thinking about mods then keep the mk2 :thumbup:

3. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

id buy inside the scene so that you can get a car thats been looked after and hopefully not bodged within an inch of its life

4. The db

The db Forum Junkie

So somebody was looking around the mk2 today.... and I ended up not selling it because the guy seemed like a bonehead who knew nothing about cars and I didnt want some idiot like that to have it...

Aaaaaarghhhhh dont think I can bring myself to sell the mk2. Looks like I'm about to invest in having some paintwork cleaned up. Booo.

5. pRot3us Forum Junkie

Don't sell the mk2, you will regret it.

6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

just had the same. a bit of a know-nothing, made a song and dance about the idle being about 1250 immediately after it was started. it idles tip top at 800m after about 30 seconds

he said the oil was too clear, it must have just changed it so it must have a problem (like, WTF?!) the oil has had 1000 miles on it.

oh, and it apparently had blue smoke at idle... cos your fecking torch had a blue led in it you sausage smoker!

real twaaaat that thought he knew a lot

7. stew72 Forum Member

contrary to popular belief, there are people outside the "scene" actually know quite a lot about cars.

I know what you mean though, but unforunately there are people within the scene who will bodge things knowing they can sell at a premium. It happens in all classic car circles.

8. Seraph Banned

Ha - think that's bad, you want to try a mk4 !

9. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Sounds like the guy that came to see my car!!:lol: :lol:

He had a checklist somebody had obviously text him to check for, but didnt know where to look for half the stuff.

Apparently my gear box seemed loose and like it was a problem.... and he should know because his 7 year old BMW had a much "tighter" gearbox....

10. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

yeah, he was in a position to know lol

mine sold yesterday on ebay. the buyer called me to chat about collecting the car (he is coming from lincoln, 160 miles away)

the guy is an utter petrolhead, i said to him i was dead chuffed about the car going to someone with a clue

turns out this nutter is also planning a ring trip for 01/08/08 so ill prolly see my mk2 again at the ring [:D]

its nice knowing its going to a decent person

11. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

i'm from lincoln, didn't buy your mk2 though ;) there is an influx of dubs lately though, couple of nice mk2's ibiza turbos and octavia vrs's.

in regards to the mk3 quest, there's a 16v with less than 100k miles on ebay, bidding currently at 500 (not hit reserve) and looks in good nick, same colour as mine which isn't to everyones taste, but those people are idiots :)
    think it ends today or tomorrow

here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180222314558&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=008

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  12. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

we have had a good influx of golfs in southend lately, including my mk2. shame its moving elsewhere!

13. alcamistdvd Forum Member

just had a look at that green one on ebay, and i must say i like that a lot.

i like my black mk3's but the electonic green i think its called is a grower, the more i've seen them the more i like them.

and it's 16v:clap:

al

14. WEZ

electric green ;)

very nice, rare :lol: especially in 16v form [:p]

15. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

is that the very light metalic terquoise colour? a mate of mine had a 16v one of those a couple years ago. 4dr with a loud exhaust :p

16. WEZ

check the link you muppet ;)

17. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

cant do ebay at work muppet :p

18. WEZ

will it do pics from ebay? :

[​IMG]

19. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict