Fitting Twin weber 45s to a Mk2 16 valve

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by Mad Micks, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Mad Micks Forum Member

Hi,

I've got a pair of weber 45's, a facet fuel pump, filter king and a load of other bit's and pieces to fit a Mk2 Golf 16 valve. The pump and filter are brand new, the carbs are second hand but in good condition.

It is set up to run a twin throttle linkage (why do you need two throttle cables, can't you use the one in the car?!)

Has anyone fitted their own Twin webers to a Mk2 16 valve? If so, have you got any photohgraphs, hints, tips and tricks you can share?

It all seams like a 'black art'. I realise that I would most likey have to get the carbs tuned, but it would be good to fit it all up myself and worry about the tuning side later.

PS: Engine modified to 1.9, polished head, 4-1 manifold, etc.. What sort of power gain would you expect from well set up webers?
    Edited by: Mad Micks

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

You didn't mention an inlet manifold. Have you got one of those?

If they were jetted for a similar spec of engine, you might be lucky and they'll work straight off. More likely you'll need some time on a rolling road though, somewhere that keeps spare jets for Webers.

3. Mad Micks Forum Member

Yes, got a manifold. :)

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

Were the carbs on a VW 16v before? If they were, and it was a similar spec, you could try just chucking them on and see if you can get it running...if in doubt, go a bit richer on the mixture.

...bit risky though...

5. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Easy to fit them mate but its all in the jetting - you need to find someone
    who still does this well with a rolling road - where are you ?

Rob

6. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

the twin cables are for track use really,just more reliable incase one snaps.

you can get away with using the original cable most of the time,just need to make a way of getting it to work.

id definately pay good money to have it set up properly,as if its done right then it shouldnt need touching again for a good while. :thumbup:

unless the carb linkages are worn etc...

neil.

7. Mad Micks Forum Member

I'm in Southampton, Hampshire.
    Thanks for the info guys!

8. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

has any one got pics of their throttle linkage? i would like to see how other people have done it, as mine isnt all that good,

tim

9. Mad Micks Forum Member

Looks like you can buy a single throttle linkage kit, but I'm not sure this is suitable for twin webers, maybe a single weber on it's own as the spring's are too powerful for a single cable?

Do twin weber have to have twin cables? Might just try modifying the bracket to take the original cable and see how it goes.

Also, there is a lever at the front of both of the 45's... This appears ot be the choke. Does anyone have their choke connected, or do you run them without?

Looks straightforward. I'm lucky in that it came off a similar car, so the jetting should be ok - but it will need setting up once it's on.

10. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

you can use the original cable m8,just needs a bit of fettling.

and as for the choke ive never known anyone to use it myself...

neil. :)

11. sife1 Forum Member

if you have trouble fitting the standard 16v cable (which you should as mine was too short>.?) get yourself a cable for a carb'd mk2 i.e. 1.6 and that should be long enough.

won't need to set up the choke, jus use your foot to tap the pedal in the morn till it warms up!

The place i went to whenI had my carbs was Redline Tuning in Iver Jct16 M25 so bit of a trek from Southampton- Tony -> 01753 655522.

12. Mad Micks Forum Member

Thanks alot guys... Lot's of help here!
    [:D]

13. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

sorry m8,thats the deal on a mk1,presumed the mk2 cable would do the job [:$]

neil.

14. Mad Micks Forum Member

Any pics of your installations under the bonnet? [:D]

15. Mad Micks Forum Member

Am in the process of fitting the bits... Two questions...

1. What do you do with the crancase breather hose that goes into the air filter box and inlet manifold? [:$]

2. Where does the brake vacumn servo hose go? I presure it's into the weber manifold, via the only small pipe that it has on it? [:$]

Thanks again, apart from that, it looks fairly straightforward :)

16. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

1/

you can either vent the crank breather to air or run a catch tank m8 (seen,top left of my pic)

2/

yep,brake servo pipe runs from the inlet manifold,i had to buy some pipe from a local place and make it up my self,it never gave me any problems.

neil. [:D]

[​IMG]

17. Mad Micks Forum Member

Thanks very much for the information and photo...

Your engine layout looks superb! [:D]

How well did your car go with the webers?

18. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

no probs m8 :thumbup:

lets just say it eat the odd impreza :p none of this ra business like but it went ok'ish none the less. :)

and it would have eaten my g60 rado alive [8(]

neil.
    Edited by: riley

19. Mad Micks Forum Member

Sounds brilliant!!

Okay, just spent the weekend fitting the weber carb's. Got the manifold on, the linkages set up and worked out what extra pipe work I will need.

I fitted the Filter King, but stupidly thought I could get it running with the original fuel pump, just to see if it all works... Bad idea - blew a seal in the filter king. I should have fitted the Facet pump and then tried it. [:$] Still, you live and learn. What pressure does that strandard fuel injection pump put out?

I will have to fit the Facet fuel pump tomorrow evening. Should this go under the car? The car has two pumps - a lift pump and the main pump. should both be disconnected and replaced with the Facet one?

Thanks again... It's starting to take shape now!

20. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

You only need 3-4 psi to run carbs

I think k-jet delivery pressure 120?? psi ? [:$]

It's a lot more than three or four. [><]
    Edited by: GVK