G60 Syncro Edition One

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Trev16v, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Some updates.

First of all I have been removing underseal (though being careful not to go completely back to the metal underneath, as 99% of the factory paint underneath is mint). When this is done several fresh coats of new underseal will be applied using the proper stuff from VW. I've tried a few different stone chip protections and underseals but this VW stuff is almost exactly like the original underseal in terms of flexibility and toughness. I had originally planned to use Upol Gravitex, but wasn't entirely happy with it (not that there's anything wrong with it - just prefer the VW stuff). This VW stuff is bloody expensive though.

[​IMG]

This weekend I fitted some brand new roof gutter trims fresh out of their wrapping. These are long obsolete now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another job started was the rebuild of the rear differential. Had to get the massive 41mm spanner from eBay just for the occasion. Bloody massive thing. Could murder someone with it.

[​IMG]

Next the 16V G60 engine finally came out of the 2WD scruffy MK2. Prior to taking it out I started it in what was the first time in almost a year and it fired up on the button. Also I tested my msDroid app with it, which was the first time I've personally used it on a running engine as opposed to the MegaSquirt 'Stimulator' board. Quite a cool milestone that was.

Before this goes into the Syncro I want to rebuild it for a couple of reasons: (a) because I was a pleb at the time of first rebuild and didn't properly clean out the engineering shop swarf; (b) because I'm hoping to have the block decked to increase the compression. So, when I return from being away at work at the end of the week I'll be taking this block back to the engineering shop I use in Chipping Norton.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Funny to see my JE pistons again. It looks like they survived my early MegaSquirt tuning efforts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While I'm at it, I'll see if C&R still do the intermediate shaft bearings and get those renewed for good measure.

I shall also be getting the engineering shop to skim the flanges on the manifold I fabricated. They did still warp a little bit, even though they were heavily clamped to a 1" slab of steel!

2. chrisbex123 Forum Member

Very nice progress there Trev :thumbup:

3. Trev16v

Did a lot of driving around on Friday to various places regarding getting further work done on the engine.

First visit was to the Man In The Shed to have the head fully worked on. In fact, I took three heads with me, so that the best could be chosen. It looks like we may start again with a mint low miles and previously totally untouched 9A head I took from our old Corrado.

Then went to my usual engine place to drop the block off. They're going to deck the block and also re-pocket the JE pistons to up the compression ratio a little bit. Right at the start I asked JE for 8.5:1 but all accurate cc measurements indicate I have a CR of more like 8.0:1 which seems a little low for a 16V G60, so I'd like to up it. For reference, apparently the Limited ran 8.8:1. Unfortunately it's obviously far too late to go back to JE so I just need to make best.

They'll also be replacing the intermediate shaft bearings for me. I also dropped off the 16V Syncro manifold for them to skim the flanges, which had become a little warped from the welding heat despite being very heavily clamped down when I fabricated it. I got quite a lot of compliments on my fabrication efforts which I was chuffed about.

Hopefully some decent engine pictures to come within a few weeks. In the meantime I'm resuming removal of underseal. I've got the hang of removing underseal really nicely and quickly now by sufficiently heating it so that the scraper glides through it almost like butter and at the same time the original paint underneath is left intact.

4. Trev16v

Got the head back from the Man In The Shed. This is a total work of art.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next I've been concentrating on the underside of the car, which I had regretted not doing prior to getting the car painted. But, since getting the car painted, I now have more workshop space and I'm also more fussy about being thorough with this car. On stripping the underseal I've found some areas that need attention, which included a couple of minor underside sill repairs. On the whole however the body underside is very good.

However, those panels that are commonly jacked under on each side of the front of the car are looking pretty mangled. They've been a bit crushed from jacking, and the one on one side needs corrosion repair. These panels are still available from VW Classic Parts in Germany, but for utterly stupid money. I could have just repaired the existing panel with a plate, but as I want this car to be as perfect as I can get it, I decided to bite the bullet and order the new panel for the one side. I am tempted to replace the panel on the opposite side as well because it's very crushed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This panel is specific to the G60 and Corrado chassis.

On a normal Golf MK2, this 'connecting piece' panel (as it's called in ETKA) is more 'L' shaped. I happen to have a pair of those brand new too. Here's a comparison.

[​IMG]

5. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Its going to need respraying again by the time you get round to getting it on the road Trev. Finger your out pull **** your. ;) Rearrage. Hehe.

Nice to see you doing these repairs properly matey. So easy to ignore them, grind it back and slap a load of sealer of it instead.

6. Teddy

Teddy CGTI Regional Host

Just read this from start to finish, I think longer projects give you for more satification.
    Take your time - I can't wait to see the finished product.

7. 8olf-blu Forum Member

I mean this in the nicest of ways.... I hate you! lol

But seriously this is an awesome project! Cant wait to see more of the progress. New gutter trims are the icing on the cake! Its little things like that, that get a MK2 addicts going!

8. Trev16v

Yip yip

[​IMG]

(Massive thanks to Scruffydubber, Zaphod and Alan.)

9. themylward Forum Member

Wow! That is all :thumbup:

10. Trev16v

Finally got the rest of my engine bits from the engine shop.

The KR block and JE pistons have been skimmed by 1mm, with the pistons re-pocketed to suit. I got this done because I think my piston order was screwed up all those years back as they produced a CR that was on a tad low side. Should now be something like 8.7:1.

Also the flanges on the manifold I made have been skimmed nice and flat, as there was a small amount of inevitable distortion from the TIG welding process.

Also decided to strip the underseal back far more thoroughly than I originally intended. I found that getting the bulk of the underseal off with the scraper and heat gun, and then getting the remainder off with a drill wire cup attachment actually doesn't do any damage at all to the paintwork underneath. So it's quite easy (though very time consuming of course) to completely remove all underseal and go cleanly back to the paint without going to bare metal. I have lots of POR15 and Epoxy stuff to fully coat it after.

I'm tempted to buy the 'jacking area' floor pan for the opposite side as well, as on the opposite side it's not too rusty but extremely crush damaged from jacking. I tried and tried with a blowtorch and slide hammer, but I just can't pull it back into shape. Currently trying to work out if I'm anal enough to justify spending another 270.

I'll wang some images up next week when back at home.

11. oak_20vt Forum Member

The best build thread on here. I always hope to see updates on this beast!!!! Can't wait to see it all come together!!

Keep up the good work Sir Trev!!!!! :thumbup:

12. Trev16v

Thank you, but really, I don't think I can accept credit for the best build thread. I can certainly take credit for the slowest build though! :lol:

13. deanage1983 Forum Member

Nice read where is this at these days

14. Trev16v

Done quite a lot of work on the underside lately. All replacement floor panels are in place. I'll get some more pictures up when I'm back at home again in a few days.

15. scruffydubber Paid Member Paid Member

Any updates Trev?

16. Trev16v

Had a very busy year but managed to make more progress on this lately.

Decided to replace the panel on the other side as well after managing to convince VW Classic Parts to give me a nice discount on it. I did try pulling the old one back out with the slide hammer but I was never going to get it back into shape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the new panels on each side I welded all of the openings shut.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With panels fitted and various other repairs done, most of the underseal has been stripped away. This was done carefully with the application of heat and scraper, along with a small drill wire brush attachment. This way I was able to preserve the original paint coating in all intact areas without going back to bare metal. Then Epoxy Mastic painted (well, sploshed) on. I need to do another coat or two yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Decided to spend yet more cash with VW Classic Parts just to get this stupidly large box...

[​IMG]

...with a complete set of door and quarter trims, plus a sill trim to go with the other new one I already have stashed away.

[​IMG]

I can't remember if I took a picture of this before. It's a new (well, old new) ABS unit, bagged on eBay for 150 some years back. Came in the VW box!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
    Toyotec likes this.
  17. scruffydubber Paid Member Paid Member

Looking good Trev.

Some lovely NOS parts.

18. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

That garage could do with some tlc lol

wil the car see the road in 2014???

19. Trev16v

I know! It has actually been tidied quite a lot since then. Won't stay like that though.

Yep on the road in 2014 for sure.

Rrrright

20. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

So the car is going to need a complete respray for a 2nd time when you are done?? LOL

Just realised I said the same thing in June 2012!!! LOL

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013