Gearbox ratio ideas what do you think?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Admin, May 24, 2011.

1. Admin Guest

I like most I'm always on the quest to improve performance from my old Golfy. I have decided my next stage in the cars development it to build a gearbox with gearset and FD to help improve acceleration and try and strengthen up the old 020 grenade!

The car the box will be built for is a Mk2 NA engine revving to 7500rpm. The useable power band is from around 5200 to 7000rpm. The box is going to be built for track.

I'm starting of with a 2Y 020 16v box and want to keep this casing. I will strengthen the dif by using bolts instead of the dif rivits.

The ratios I'm looking at are:

1st stock 2Y
    2nd Looking at swopping for
    3rd stock 2Y
    4th stock
    5th looking at swopping for

FD 4.25

I feel the second gear will be useful as it means the car will hit over 60 and it brings the gear closer to third so I should not find I'm needing to shift up mid corner.

Fifth will be almost identical to standard 2Y that I have which is fine on the motorway but still pulls fine.

Thoughts. :thumbup:

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

A Mk3 8v GTI box might be a good compromise - I think they have an 0.80 5th, as well as the higher 2nd. Also gives you the wider range of clutch options that are available for the bigger input shaft.

Might not give the ideal combination, but it'll save pulling 3 different boxes apart to get the result you want.

I'm planning to go for AUG type ratios with a 3.9 FD (has the taller 2nd and an 0.89 5th). I can live with the lower 5th for the amount of cruising miles I do in the car.

Assume you're going for an ATB diff too?

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  3. Admin Guest

I had a quick look for gearbox ratios but could not find it, do you know the code?

I'll buy the FD new and have to source the gear sets I want.

ATB will be kept simples - Quaife FTW. I did look hard at the wavetrack but it does have parts that wear and it was a few hundred more...

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

CHE I think - will check the one in the workshop later.

5. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

I wouldn't go for the longer 2nd. You get a large rev drop when changing from 1st to 2nd giving a bogging down feeling. Only a problem when 1/4 miling or at the traffic light grandprix. However, the longer 2nd gets the 3rd gear buzzing in at a higher RPM.
    The 16v gearset or equivalent is the shortest stack 5 speed 020 as far as I can remember. With the 4.25FD you will never use lower than 3rd gear apart from super short circuits like Curby.
    I'd honestly say go for the 16v set with the 4.25FD and hold out for a 6speed kit ;).

Gurds

6. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

I know where there is a pukka 020 VWMS 16v box with LSD for sale.

Perfect ratios!

It's only 3000.

7. prof Forum Addict

awful deisel esque ratios in those [xx(]

8. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Get me,
    Aero drag Coff,
    Frontal area,
    Gear ratios and FD
    Tyre size,
    Weight,
    And the torque curve vs rpm. From this input the the optimum acceleration can be modelled ;)

As a check we then test the vehicle with with G meter and see if the dyno measurements or the weight are correct as the forward acceleration should match up with what was modelled :thumbup:

9. Admin Guest

Just looked at those and with the 4.25 fitted the plots look abit like as a standard 2Y (spread), seems the MK3 4.25 would have slightly lower shift points but not by alot.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2011
  10. Admin Guest

This is being done on a budget :thumbup: if i could find a 6 speed that was affordable then I would love to, any one know if you can add a sixth gear easily as a DIYer?

11. Admin Guest

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2011
  12. Toyotec

Excellent!

13. prof Forum Addict

ahh didn't consider it with the lower FD [:$]

very wrong in standard form

14. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Problem is Eddie, we only have a few ratios to pick from the VAG range [:^(]

Gurds

15. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Is the weight including the driver?

16. Toyotec

I agree and will using the infomation supplied to work out how hard the vehicle will accelerate to the redline as model "drives" the above data. Gear sets for better accels can only be entered from what is available and if the accel data is not acceptable then further engine modifications will have to be performed to increase torque or shift torque to a more favourable engine speed range.

Understand where I am coming from now?

17. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

If you want Tom, you're welcome to take the mk1 for a spin to see what the ratios feel like.

Gurds

18. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

I see what you mean :thumbup:

19. Admin Guest

That might be a good idea :thumbup:

20. Admin Guest

Doh! No its not, say 1000kg all in. [:D]