Golf GTi Disappointment

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by spadds, Sep 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kells Forum Member

dunno thats all iv been told, will ask, deffo a manufacture fault

and yes was only the 2.0 na engine that was affected

2. bigeyd Forum Member

only decent thing about mk3's was the introduction of the VR enjin[:*:]
    and your previous cars don't help

3. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Upside-down pistons...classic:lol:

Think you'd have slightly more issues than premature engine wear - would be interesting to watch though!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  4. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: [:^(] [:^(] :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: [:^(] :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bwaaahhaaaahaaaa...

Upside down pistons!!

That`s the funniest thing I`ve heard in ages...:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, you should have thought about what you were writing before posting...

5. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

and the ABF which is the bestest and you know it

6. mincecfc2 Forum Member

I think the back end is brought under control by good tyres tbh, although it is still prone to a wander in the wet. Good tyres are important on any car of course, but critical on the nack of a mk3 GTI, IMO.

7. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

true... i found it a lot more forgiving with toyo's on, but the overall grip was shocking so went back to budget knankang's which seemed to work best for some reason.

8. kells Forum Member

you really do sound like a right ****** mate, what iv been told from my contact at VW...

what an absolute **** you are

9. Tam Nyakobyashi Forum Member

I remember starting this exact same thread about 3 years ago when I got my 8v Mk3. Never had any problems with rust though. It is very slow.....and rather asthmatic. I think the VR6 version does offer quite a marked improvement.

10. big john New Member

I cant understand how they can put a piston in upside down as there would be nothing for the con rod to connect to so the piston must be in the right way. I am guessing like the rest of us on here that you thought they said piston and they really said the piston rings. I have been a mechanic for 17 yrs and i can tell you for a fact its impossible to put a piston in upside down. Whoever told you that needs to hang up the spanners and go back to school. Somebody is pulling your leg !

11. StuMc

You`ve quite obviously mis-heard what your `contact` told you...

It is an absolute, physical impossibility for a piston to be fitted upside down. It just can`t be done. Fact.

What I`m laughing at is your insistence that this is what happened, when it clearly can`t have.

Now, of course, not everyone knows how an engine works, but it`s fairly obvious to anyone with a modicum of basic technical knowledge how a piston is attached in an engine.

You clearly don`t...

Here`s a basic diagram (it`s a diesel, so no spark plug);

[​IMG]

Now you can see how the piston can only be attached one way up...;)

A piston ring could easily be fitted upside down (the more likely explanation).

The piston could equally be 180deg out radially (as mentioned already), but this may be less likely if the piston crown has cut-outs for the valves.

Here endeth the lesson...

And I am a w*anker, but I don`t care, it`s still funny... [8D]

12. ev nutter Forum Member

Could understand how it lasted so long for stu to lay the law down on this thread as it was
    winding me up as i couldnt get my head round it fitting upside down its impossiable when
    in use as the pic proves im not dumb but for a nano it had me puzzled but not for long cos
    it just made me laugh afterwards

13. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

for me its clear that there is a communitcation breakdown or kells heard something and remembered something else, and im sure his VW technition isn't trying to say a piston was put in upside down!!! but something obviously wasn't put together properly for it to go pop on 70k miles, and the fact VW won't help his dad when it has full VW service history is pretty disgusting TBQFH

14. kells Forum Member

dude yeah i know your a ****er, thats afact, but i did reply earlier in the post repliying to MATT82 saying i dont know if its 180 deg our or not, i did say i wasnt sure and i would ask, i know the ring itself is upside down hence it leaking oil in to the head, and i also know the piston itself is stamped wrong and not fitted right, thats all i kno as iv already said previously.... if you read back over what was said you will see i put this FFS

i dont expect replies like i got from you on a forum like this....Face, i need to see your face!

15. kells Forum Member

thats right mate, its basically a huge **** up on VW's part, and was covered up from the start to save them big bucks, its **** and you wouldnt expect it from VW....or would you??? i just dont know anymore

16. StuMc

So you`re conceding that the piston can`t be upside down then?...that you must have heard wrong?...

The ring being upside down would definately cause wear/failure since it wouldn`t be sealing properly.

With the piston being stamped wrong, this would suggest that it could be 180deg out. In that case it must not have cut-outs for the valves, or it wouldn`t last for a even a few minutes.

TBH I can`t see that being a major problem, other than the combustion chamber being the wrong shape, thus making it burn unefficiently. (I`ve never seen a piston from that engine, so don`t know if it is a plain or shaped crown)

IMO a ring being upside down is the most likely cause of the failure.

As much as we are fans of VW, no-one said they were perfect. They, as with any manufacturer, will do their utmost to avoid non-safety related re-calls if they think they can get away with it.

Sucks, but that`s just how it is. The best course of action would be to constantly pester them. VW have a history of conceding blame if they are badgered enough, usually resulting in at least a 50% goodwill payment. (Don`t pester the dealer though, go direct to VWUK)

And here`s my face...like it`s bovvered...

[​IMG]

17. kells Forum Member

Ok Ok Ok....as said before (twice now) i really dont know if the piston is in upside down or what not?, its what i was told, via a few tecnicians, so things may have got said that were not correct hence why i said earlier in the post "i dunno"
    So to clarify again for the god knows how many times, is the piston upside down?, i dont know, if thats not possible, then so be it, but it is deffo not fitted correct and the piston ring is upside down and has failed, its lucky to have got to 70k, alot have failed at 30k iv been told, but again i dont know. im a ****ing DJ not a mechanic.!!
    If i really wanted a lesson in engines i would have spoke to my brother who is a doctor of engineering (works on F1 engines and the like) but knowing how a piston fits is not such a huge thing to me, i just want the problem sorting whatever it is

Anyhow, i will know more when the engine is fully stripped so i can see the problem with my own eyes (should be late this week or early next)

You look like one of them twats you see in places like yates etc :)

what i am/was ****ed off about was the way you replied with your no it all taking the **** first reply, totally no need at all, so easy for people to hide behind their computer screens and take the ****, its something im seeing alot of on this forum and its getting boring. i joined this site as i was in hope it would be a bit more serious than the others but the jury is out on that one. (their is some very helpfull people on here tho also i must add!)

you could have quite easily just corrected me rather than been complete tit about it

ahh well guess thats the vw scene aint it

18. stu h Forum Member

put your handbags down please ladies and walk away [:|]

no need to get excited :)

19. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

A Good going Standard mk3 16v ( Mine was late 96 Class car 163bhp Standard fly) will take good going standard mk2 16v From a standing start and they leave them top end (Been there done that and I would still have a mk2 over a mk3, Mk3 GTI 16v also steers the best, bit more weight to throw about just means more thinking round the back roads, but with bigger brakes and abs to boot car is near muppet proof!
    At the price you can get them a Great car for the money

20. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

eddie is right, but not totally convinced about the abs haha

stick the abf in the mk2 and youve got a monster though

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.