Golf mk2 1.6 driver

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by IgorCRO, Nov 23, 2019.

1. IgorCRO New Member

Hello all. Here is my Golf mk2. Bought him 2 year ago. Original paint , 1.6 5 speed engine , 85000 km.
    Soon will do swap 2.0 8v 2e.

This is begining
    First car is polished and get some stuff. Body plastic is refreshed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wheels on BBS RM Front 8x15 rear 8.5x15. Tyres 195/45/15

[​IMG]

Now is looking for doing swap of engines

Donor car is Passat b4 1994 2.0 2e
    So I need some advices

So i want to swap engine with gearbox (with cables). Cause my car is 1991 ce2 I need just engine wiring ? also i dont know which driveshafts use cause i dont want wider than original because of these wheels. Can i buy driveshafts from golf mk2 gti and plug and play with passat gearbox? Fuel tank will swap from golf mk3 cause of fuel pump. Can I install rear brakes from passat to golf without change whole rear axle.
    Hydraulic clucth from passat or ???
    also want to gain some more power maybe camshaft 268 , 272 , 276 ???

will stay updated

sorry for bad english.

cheers

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    erreesse likes this.
  2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you could keep the mk2 gearbox if you like, it'll fit right on. I would use a 210mm mk2 1.8 8v clutch and flywheel though.

if you want the passat gearbox setup then you need MK2 GTI shafts with 100mm CV joints, later 1.8 carb also had them. You can also find these shafts on 4 cylinder corrado, larger engine SEAT Ibiza, Toledo and Cordoba plus Caddy van and polo saloon & estate up to around 1999. You need all of the passat engine brackets, but you can keep your engine mounts. I would at least do the rear mount as its the most difficult to change while the engine is in. front and box mount if there are signs of oil leaks or excess wobbliness replace those too

passat rear calipers ad carriers will fit, the rear axle wont fit even if you wanted it to. You'll need to add a rear bias valve to the system otherwise the rear brakes will be too overpowered, the passat valve is the same as mk2 but the spring & brackets needed to mount it to the car and rear beam wont fit. grab all the fixings, washers, spring bush etc off the passat though, those are the same. you could fit an aftermarket setup, or if you went for a mk3 golf rear beam you could use the mk3 bias valve setup, this isn't the same as mk2 either though

for the front the passat wheel bearing carriers will swap right over and give you 256mm brakes, you can upgrade them to 280mm if you like but no real need. Up to 1996 MK3 GTI/16v/VR6 calipers and carriers are the same as the 280mm G60 brakes so not hard to get. if you don't want to try cracking off the hub nut you can knock the outer CV joints off and then fit the complete bearing carrier + cv to MK2 100mm shafts which saves a job ;)

get yourself a mk2 digifant airbox if you can as the passat airbox is too bit, the passat AFM will fit right into it. can use the passat manifold and downpipe, fit a decat pipe or fit the passat cat if required by law over there then bolt up a mk2 16v exhaust or 8v system with reducer

wiring wise it will mostly be plug and play, might have to swap the mk2 golf wiper motor wiring over I'm not sure if the passat one would read, LHD passat looms are one that I've not dealt with yet. then you can do the mk2 coil conversion if you like, otherwise open the flap on the passat coil and run the rev counter wire from g1/12 to the negative terminal inside.

erreesse likes this.
  3. IgorCRO New Member

Ok great info and big thanks.

1.So if I keep the mk2 gearbox is there big difference with ratio between mk2 and passat gearbox.
    2. Is good idea to take passat ABS system and install on mk2 ???
    3. what about hydraulic clutch from passat if use passat gearbox. i need master cylnder and pedals from passat?
    4.about brakes i have 280 mm girling 54 from corrado g60
    5.Can I use golf mk3 gti gauge cluster intestead of golf mk2. is the same connection on mk3 cluster and passat???
    6.to have mfa can i use mk3 gauge cluster and mk3 stalk???
    7. Would like to have little more power what about some bigger cam???

thank you one more time for these answers will help me a lot.

erreesse likes this.
  4. rubjonny

1. get the box codes from both boxes then we can compare :) usually the 1.6 will have quite tall ratios, passat probably wont be that sporty either as its not really a sporty spec. Lots of info here:
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/vw-audi-seat-skoda-fwd-gearbox-codes-and-ratios.115595/

2. up to you really, I personally wouldn't bother with it

3. yes use all the passat parts to convert the mk2 to hydro clutch, or you can use SEAT cable conversion kit:
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.ph...art-numbers-with-clutch-cable-bracket.107068/

5. if you like, will need some modification to fit into a mk2. its still a bit wider than mk2 so you need to modify the surround, make brackets etc. I'd rather fit mk2 gti/rev counter clocks. you need mk3 clock loom and splice a coupel wires in for indicators, add ignition to E/2 (same deal for passat clocks usually)

6. you can use mk2 or mk3 mfa stalks, whichever you like best. the only difference apart from the shape of the stalks is the hazard button on top. you can either hack up the trim so mk34 button fits, or swap the mk2 hazard button to mk3 stalks and trim the top of the mk3 stalks so mk2 trim fits over

7. cam choice depends on what your final goals are, I would fit the engine as it is first then work from there. the standard 2.0 8v is still a very nice upgrade over a 1.6, and cheap.

Once you start to think about tuning you have to think carefully about spending money on the 8v vs saving your money and going for a 16v engine later on. you have to spend a fair bit of money to get an 8v up to 139/150bhp, which is where the 16v engines will start before you modify anything

erreesse likes this.
  5. IgorCRO New Member

7. about cam i would like more power from low and mid revolutions . for begining to reach 130 hp .

and about brakes what a about master cylinder 22mm and brake servo bigger or can stay with this?

6. rubjonny

lots of info here about camshaft choice, main thing is don't go too mad as you'll loose drivability and without supporting mods you wont get the most out of it. somewhere around a 272 is probably a good choice but tbh 8v tuning isn't really my area of expertise

for the brakes use the passat brake servo no matter what clutch setup you go for as it's a 9", the 1.6 is 7". you'll need a 22mm master to go with 256 or 280mm brakes, if the passat one is 22mm unit then it'll work but if its original I'd think about getting a new one. if it looks pretty recent then grab it and go

erreesse likes this.
  7. IgorCRO New Member

great informations . cant wait for start this project. one more question I have ady block who is in great shape about 180 000 km . can i use that block is the same as 2e. I think is only different is crank sensor? also obd1 engines have dual valve spring in cylinder head ? is that correct ???

8. rubjonny

yep swap the distributor over and ignore the crank sensor :)
    the obd1/2 thing you see is about the ABA crossflow heads so no need to worry about it for euro

erreesse likes this.
  9. IgorCRO New Member

ok great. another thing i want to know. can i fit antiroll bar from passat or golf mk3 to my mk2? or to buy some aftermarket ???

10. rubjonny

you need a 4 stud MK2, mk3, corrado, Ibiza, caddy, polo saloon or estate etc. NOT passat as its slightly different shape, and not 5 stud mk3/corrado as the end fixings differ

11. IgorCRO New Member

so i can fit front and rear antiroll bar from golf mk3 mexico 1.8 66kw 4x100 stud ?

12. rubjonny

front yep straight fit. rear roll bar is integrated inside the beam so you cant swap it without changing the entire axle over, and the mk3 beam will fit if you wanted to use the whole thing. or you can skip that and fit aftermarket roll bars front and rear instead if you prefer

13. IgorCRO New Member

great to know . what about use oem from mk3 and buy rear aftermarket ???

14. rubjonny

as long as you balance out the front & rear sizes to suit your driving requirements no problem :)

15. IgorCRO New Member

great will see some kits from eibach. front subframe must be down for instal ARB. Also i can use passat power steering rack just change rod ends??? is the same swap as from mk3 to mk2 ??? and about steering rack linkage knuckle u joint do i need from mk2 model with power steering or can fit from passat??

16. rubjonny

yep while the engine is out is the best time to fit your roll bar
    you can use the passat power steering system just make sure you fit the correct mk2 power steering rods to suit the rack as ZF and TRW are different. for the universal joint I'm not sure if the passat one will work, if not just use the equivalent MK2 or MK3 PAS one to suit the rack spline. as its a B4 passat you'll probably want a MK3 UJ

17. IgorCRO New Member

Hi jonny finally come that day to start working. we talk about geraboxes. I have original 4t box on my 1.6 engine now. it is in perfect condition 85000 km and maybe is good step to leave that gearbox. other gearbox is from mk3 CHE but dont have to flanges and axles.
    this is ratios
    4T 3,455 1.944 1.286 0.909 0.745
    CHE 3.455 1.944 1.286 0.969 0.805

So what I understad from earlier post I can keep my 4T and buy a clutch for 1.8 8V GTI and also flywheel or go to CHE and buy axles and flanges from 1.8 8V and clutch from originaly 2.0V. Here is not so many 8v gti for spare parts in my country. Most of mk2 s are 1.6D :)

18. rubjonny

yep for a 2.0 8v box you use a 16v clutch kit or early 2.0 8v if you have a mk2 flywheel. later 2.0 8v clutch kit uses a different pressure plate as the flywheel changed, but the friction disc is the same. if you can just get the friction disc that will work with a 1.8 clutch kit, you dont need a GTI clutch and flywheel specifically the 1.8 carb ones are also the same plus the early mk3 1.8 engine ones will also work

19. IgorCRO New Member

OK and if i keep 4t box with 2.0 engine what i need to change?
    THANX

20. rubjonny

use a 1.8 8v gti/carb clutch and flywheel :)