Golf Mk2 20vt

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by jshep73, May 22, 2019.

1. jshep73 Forum Member

Wow that's great! I see you are in Bristol too, where are you?

When Boris allows us I'll take you for a spin! Dry weather preferably!!

cupracraig likes this.
  2. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Nice!

I strongly suggest an LSD. It makes a whole world of difference :)

jshep73 and cupracraig like this.
  3. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

yeah i think i'll have to do that next winter

Savagesam likes this.
  4. G-adams

G-adams CGTI Regional Host - Bristol

that would be awesome Iive in headly park bishopsworth area. I'm really looking forward to getting mine on the road and being able to drive a mk2 two again. I would also highly recommend a lsd as the difference was night and day in the mk1 going around corners. it won't stop general wheel spinning in a straight line though

jshep73 likes this.
  5. jshep73 Forum Member

Over the winter I haven't done much on the Golf. I did replace the sunroof seal which wasn't too bad, no photos of the progress though!

Anyway I got the old girl out the garage on Saturday morning!

e2.jpg

Started off with all the basics like fluid levels and tyre pressures, all good! Noticed near side sidelight was out... gave it a wiggle and it works again?!

Had a list of niggles that I wanted to sort, starting with the radiator coolant pipes which I had just bodged when I first did the conversion, also added some nice t-clamps. Did abit of piping and cable tidying at the same time. Ran the car and topped up coolant.

Took the radiator surround out aswell for a quick rub down and then sprayed matt black

C1.jpg

C2.jpg

C3.jpg

C4.jpg

e1.jpg

e3.jpg

Next was to make a new battery cable with the 40mm I purchased a new weeks back. Also added a mega fuse holder with 150A fuse in the boot. Car now starts instantly which is what I was after!

e4.jpg

Decided to go back to orange indicators this year, 2 minute job. Removed GTI 16V badge a couple of weeks ago. Sold for £50 on ebay! Mad

e5.jpg

Also added a new number plate.

But most importantly I went for a joyride and absolutely loved it. Took a mate that hadn't been in a 20vt before, fair to say they were impressed with the pull of the engine!!!

Put together a list of major and minor things to get done reasonably soon:

Raise suspension (if not seized)
    Spray under bonnet
    Make air filter bracket
    Gear shifter bushes
    Rebuild G60 Calipers

Hopefully more updates to come soon! Especially as the clocks have gone forward and it's going to be 20 degrees tomorrow!

Cheers all

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    erreesse and cupracraig like this.
  6. cupracraig

ooh i quite like how you have mounted the battery in the boot! did you just put a couple of riv nuts in to the metal at the back?

7. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

That's a really great update to your thread mate, top work.
    Not trying to criticise, but I'd add a brace to hold the battery "down", not just clamped against the rear, unless you already have?
    Or another option would be to put that angle ally on the top edge of the battery, I've seen lots of OEM installs like that.

I only say this as i volunteer as a motorsport Crash/Rescue official, and the inertia behind a weighty item such as a battery, in the unfortunate incident of a crash, is crazy and makes missiles out of them.
    You literally can't strap stuff like that in too securely.

8. jshep73 Forum Member

Thanks Tristan - top advice

The battery has been clamped like that since I bought the car 6 years ago. It is clamped up tight as heck with no play. However now you have said that I will come up with some sort of brace.

My photo was just to show new power cable and fuse!

9. Mk2daz

Mk2daz Paid Member Paid Member

Looks awesome mate, bet the old girl flies

jshep73 likes this.
  10. Tristan

I'm very impressed with the wiring tbh, hardly anyone bothers with the big fuse. Top job fella. Neat.

jshep73 likes this.
  11. jshep73 Forum Member

Apologies Craig, didn't see this reply! Just a couple of nuts and washers

12. jshep73 Forum Member

Time flies not posting updates on here!

Nothing huge to report but I thought I would chuck some photos on here…

M10.jpg

M11.jpg

This was actually done a few weeks back but I took some photos to prove it! New OEM sunroof seal which wasn’t cheap but now there is no water on the seat after a wash; so I guess it works. The job itself is fairly easy after watching a couple of how to videos. Took a few hours in total but that included cleaning up the sunroof area whilst it was out and also running steel cable down the drain holes to ensure they are clean. And as usual when doing a job it leads to others – I decided to cover the headlining and sunroof to match.

M7.jpg

M8.jpg

M9.jpg

I always see people on forums and FB groups asking about this job but it really is simple. Undo everything attached to the roof lining, slide it out the back and cover it with 4 way stretch carpet. Pleased with the result, looks factory (to someone that doesn’t know what the factory head lining should look like).

For some reason since the conversion the gearstick would not centre itself, it was ok in the donor car (02J gearbox/tower/shifter/cables). Did a bit of research and looks like it is the spring that centres it, pretty obvious once you start looking and moving the gearstick etc. Ended up buying an OEM spring/bush kit which is very easy to fit and has worked wonders on the general feel of the gearstick and shifting feels very tight now. Also fitted a gear knob with a red surround as I really disliked the chrome one!

M1.jpg

M2.jpg

M3.jpg

Finally got around to putting the fuse box plastic back after 2 years!

M6.jpg

Bought several pieces of plastic trim on ebay to replace some broken bits I had. All genuine parts as I have a little OCD and I like to know everything if correct.

Thought I should mount a fire extinguisher as it is an old car and after all everything has been installed by me!! After looking at a few mounting positions I decided with the simplest for now…

M5.jpg

Finally got round to spraying the underside of the bonnet. My bonnet is clearly not original as it used to be red… Can’t believe it has taken me this long to tidy it up!!! I don’t think much of the bonnet hinges, both of mine had so much play side to side. Fixed with a washer but as they were off I had to spray them up of course! I hung some dust sheets up in my garage and did 3 layers of matt black.

M4.jpg

M13.jpg

M15.jpg

Photo above is wet paint which looks patchy but once dry it looks decent, matt black spray paint is very forgiving even on large areas.

Just noticed I haven't got any photos of the bonnet back on.

Apologies for the amount of photos!!!

13. jshep73 Forum Member

A bit of road testing...

CAR8.jpg

CAR1.jpg

CAR2.jpg

CAR3.jpg

CAR6.jpg

dodgy and cupracraig like this.
  14. jshep73 Forum Member

Managed to do abit more last week. Replaced the rocket gasket and then decided to spray the rocker cover. Tried out the VHT wrinkle paint that I have seen alot recently, counterintuitive to use though as you have to spray it on thick

X1.jpg

Especially as I like have the engine cover on anyway! [:$]

X2.jpg

May do the intake manifold with the same stuff as I have another can. When I have a spare 10 hours anyway :lol:

Finally did something about the ride height!!! Someone was selling a H&R setup on FB so decided to go for it. Bought new mounts and plates and got the job done fairly quick once I had the correct tools. For anyone that doesn't know you need a tool for the rears to hold the shock as you undo the bolt, then you need another for the fronts. Then you also need a 19mm go-through socket on the fronts for the top nut.

X5.jpg

X6.jpg

I would advise not jacking your Mk2 on the jacking point nipple as above if you have not repaired / strengthened it!

FK coilovers removed

X4.jpg

End result is Golf Mk2 Country...

X3.jpg

Night and day difference. Almost like a normal car now!

dodgy likes this.
  15. Tristan

No comparison with fk and H&R!

16. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I would advise not jacking your Mk2 on the jacking point nipple as above because it’s not a jacking point ;)

Looks good tho, good to see you enjoying it!

17. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

it bloody is :lol: just dont use it becasue its probably rusted away underneath

18. cupracraig

really want a set of RM's

jshep73 likes this.
  19. jshep73 Forum Member

What dya mean?! It was intended as a jacking point wasn't it???

20. jshep73 Forum Member

Indeed! Hard to beat proper struts. Car is a joy to drive now