Golf mk2 fuel tank interchangeability

Discussion in 'K-Jetronic OEM injection' started by valvemiester, Dec 19, 2023.

1. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

Hi could someone please let me know about mk2 fuel tanks as I have a slow rebuild on a 1990 mk2 golf gti 16v and don't have the original fuel tank for it, I do have the fuel tank off a 1988 golf driver 1600 and also a spare tank from a 2001 golf cabriolet 2L is either of these a straight fit ? I thought I heard there was a difference with the lift pump but can't remember.

2. davidut5 Forum Member

I have a mk3 golf fuel tank in my 91 jetta, it has a larger opening for the fuel pump/sender. The mk2 driver would also work but needs dual pump setup, one lift pump in tank and another under the car.
    The mk3 has cheaper parts/pumps if you dont have them already.

3. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

MK3 tank is a no brainer if you have one to fit. One less pump has to be a bonus.

RichardDarrenB likes this.
  4. valvemiester

Thank you for the reply guys

I thought the 2L 8v MK3 pump set up didn't supply the right amount of fuel for a KR, I do have the other parts second hand for a KR (pump pack ) it's the fuel tank and lift pump I don't have, options I have are
    Golf mk2 1600 driver tank and KR main pump pack and fuel lines (secondhand)

Golf 3.5 cabriolet 2001 2L 8v AWG, whole fuel system from a running car, was a few years ago mind (tank, pump and fuel lines)
    Any thoughts please as above does the 8v systems provide enough flow for a standard 16v

5. davidut5 Forum Member

6. valvemiester

Thank you all for your replies.

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

all mk2 golf fuel tanks are the same, just the lifter/sender unit inside is changed depending on age/model

mk3 fuel pump no good for a 16v as they're kjet as mentioned and require much higher flow/pressure than it can supply. you could still use one to supply your kjet main pump, overkill of course but could be an idea in case later on down the line you want to swap the engine out?

I have seen people drop a kjet pump inside the mk3 fuel pump housing, but the trouble there is adapting the fittings on top for banjo hoses and making a hose from tank to the filter/accumulator under the car

valvemiester likes this.
  8. valvemiester

Thanks rj, I was thinking of going down the route of using my mk2 driver fuel tank and the spare kr fuel pump pack I have.

9. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I run a 340lph pump (modified MK2 hanger) that would be able to supply a K-Jet. Sytec 340.

You'd have to make new fuel lines though.

If you can get rid of the plastic main pump housing under the car you would be future proofing it imho.

The main pump housing does act as a swirl pot but I've never encountered any issues (yet).

10. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

as your pump is submersed in the tank you'll mostly be fine, would only be an issue cornering hard when fuel sloshes way unless you made some kind of pot to sit it in.

some kind of swirl pot is critical for the VW main pumps as they will eventually eat themselves if run dry, fuel acts as a lubricant for the internals