Golf mk2 GTI 8v to 1.8t AGU, mk4 dash and wiring Updated 13/02/11

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Kav1187, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Kav1187 Forum Member

Hi hi...I got some retrimming done today on the rear door cards...the fronts will be done once I've gotten round to figuring out how I'll cut them back so that they dont push on the dash.

Anyhoo, here's today's pics...

Started off by peeling off the old material
    [​IMG]

Masking tape for Gaffer tape to stick to
    [​IMG]

Gaffer tape to hold back the chrome divider trim
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Spray Adhesive
    [​IMG]

I only sprayed under the chrome trim and about an inch down from it to start with
    [​IMG]

Then got mum to tuck it in...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Time to reattach the lower chrome trim. I marked out how it sits with the masking tape to make it easier to fit and to prevent any glue from touching the felt as I laid the trim flat.
    [​IMG]

I used masking tape on the chrome side then sprayed the back with the adheisive
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once in place, tuck in the edges with a screwdriver
    [​IMG]

And here it is

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lookin goooooooood :-)

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  2. Jimbob Forum Member

They look awesome, excellent job!

3. NEWARKNJ15 New Member

this was a awsome build...im doing the same to an mk2 and i look at this thread alot ...great job

4. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

More udates please... really good reading so far... very very good thread.

5. F2 Stu Forum Member

Good read up, been roped into putting a 1.8t into a Mk2 8v Gti so its rather enlightening!

Couple of questions for you, what engine/gearbox mounting brackets have you used, are the off the 8v engine? Whats the fitmet of the down pipe, is it off an AGU and is it modified in any manner to get it under the bulkhead?

6. Kav1187 Forum Member

Hi Guys! Thanks for the messages and my apologies for being crap with the updates...the car passed it's MOT last month so I've been enjoying driving it and resolving any niggles that have come up since.

My mum took my SD card in her camera when she went on holiday, so I'm afraid updates will have to wait till next week.

F2 Stu, I used the 8v engine mount brackets and the mk3 16v ABF gearbox and bracket that came with it. The downpipe is original AGU and fits ok under the bulkhead, however it's very close to the steering UJ. I wrapped the downpipe up in heat tape to prevent it causing damage to the steering rack.

[​IMG]

Since I was fitting aircon, I had to change the radiator for a corrado one, as I needed it to be wide enough to take two 12" fans, but I'll include pics of this with the update.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  7. steved Forum Member

If you need to know anything about conversions pop in to the Diy Shop in Borough Green and ask for Steve

8. F2 Stu Forum Member

Cool, I'm ****ting a brick about the wiring and its not my forte best of times!

Where abouts is that, I know where Borough green of course lol

9. steved Forum Member

Western Road, Next door to Forman F**d

10. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

F2 Stu, i'm starting a similar build with a Seat leon doner car.....Full loom swop, gonna start a build thread soon... can go through the pain together LOL!

11. Kav1187 Forum Member

Hi Guys,

Sorry for taking forever with the updates again...here's the latest:

The fuel filter bracket I made an abortion of earlier in this thread has been replaced by a plastic one from a mk3 golf:

[​IMG]

The top clip for the rear back rest welded in at the top of the turret. The rear seats operate as they're supposed to now :)

[​IMG]

I put off doing the front door cards for ages because I couldn't figure out how to fill in the gap between the door and the door card when the front section was cut out for the dash to fit but I got there in the end...

I drew the outline of where the dash will sit on the door card then cut it out with a jigsaw

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had to fill the gap now that the front section has been cut out, so I made a stencil out of 3mm mdf board. The two lines I removed are necessary for it to fit flat in the door in the top frame...
    started off with cardboard
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The GMAX suspension that was on the car when I bought it was far too low for my liking...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The car is now officially a pussy magnet
    [​IMG]

I had the air con pipes custom fitted so that I can have the air con working...it was a Godsend this summer :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The single slimline fan wasn't sufficient to cool the air con condenser, so I had to fit a Corrado VR6 radiator in order to have it wide enough to fit two slimline fans.
    [​IMG]

The day it passed it's MOT :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There are still a few jobs left to do. I need to fit the front door pockets and speakers, change over the sun visor monitors for black ones, raise the rear suspension a bit, tidy the engine bay and change all rubber hoses to silicon....then a respray and tune up.

Shall I have all the engine bay hoses done in red or blue? Or a mixture of the two?

Thanks,
    Kav

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  12. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

Great work Kav - what are the wheels out of interest? I quite like them :)

Oh, and have you had a trouble with the upgraded door handles? I heard they can be a bit of a pain to get working correctly.

13. N/B

N/B Forum Member

Red hoses if you must, but Black are coolest imo.
    Blue are for Subarus...

Wonderful project, really liking this car.

14. Kav1187 Forum Member

Thanks guys.

Dan - I don't know what the wheels are I'm afraid...I put up a post a month or so ago but nobody knew [:s]

The handles work fine - takes a bit of tweaking to get them to work, especially on the rear doors, but it's all to do with how much you tighten the retaining screw :thumbup:

I'm going with the red/black theme, so I reckon red hoses might be good...need to see some tornado red mk2 engine bays with the red hoses before I decide [xx(]

15. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

Well, if you ever decide to sell them, let me know ;)

16. mashed Forum Member

Hi Dude, How'd you get on with the mirrors? Did they work ok for you in the end? Brilliant build by the way. Makes me look slow doing my VR conversion :thumbup:

Thanks
    Brad

17. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

just spotted this thread! fantastic workmanship! great stuff!

18. Kav1187 Forum Member

Thanks guys :thumbup:

Brad, I ended up getting some original mk2 electric/heated mirrors with their own separate wiring loom...same as with the windows. Even though I had all the looms/switches/convenience unit from the mk4, I just couldn't get them to function :-(

19. Kav1187 Forum Member

Quick update...

I went to get my tracking done after raising the rear suspension and was told that there's play in my lower bushes...strange as they were new when I started the project, but it was a good excuse to upgrade...

[​IMG]

So....off to work we go...

Wishbone removed
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Used the press to get the rubber bushes out...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was worried because I had read that you cannot fit powerflex bushes to GSF wishbones. The distance in the middle of the bush between the two lips was 21mm. The width of the neck they were fitting in were 24mm...but I measured the VW wishbones on my other golf and they were 24mm too, so I didnt see why there would be a problem...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Used plenty of lube..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Had to make sure that the edges pushed right the way through
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now for the fronts...
    I couldn't fit them in the press because of the shape of the wishbone, so I took them out the old school way...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then put the bolt in and hammered it out
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

don't forget the metal sleeve :)
    [​IMG]

Still waiting for my turbo hoses to be made up :(

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  20. chris9968 New Member

looks good

hi it looks spot on have a mk4 on my drive in bits was looking for the inspiration ! thanks for that!! keep it coming!!!:thumbup: