Golf Mk2 Wiring Nightmare!

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Chrismontgomery8, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Chrismontgomery8 New Member

Hi,
    I recently started to convert my 1989 mk2 16v to a vr6. The engine is a 2.8 out of a passat not sure what year but it is a coilpack engine but doesn't have the imobiliser. I got all the parts and everything i thought i needed to complete the conversion, however knowing how to rewire a car was not one of them!!

With the car being a 1989 means that nearly all the original wiring is useless because it uses the pre 90 fuse box where as the vr6 uses the later style, anyway i will cut to the chase.

I managed to get the engine installed with little or no fuss then i fed through the new front looms which i got with the engine, purchased the engine with wiring so no donor car to compare wiring to, then connected the plugs to the new fuse box. i decided to keep with the mk2 dash with mk3 dials until i could muster enough cash to get everything i needed to change to a mk3 unit. So I got a 90spec unit and all the wiring with it from a local srap yard.

After many sunday afternoons with haynes wiring diagrams a really can't make head nor tail of them, so i just keep putting plugs in the fuse box and now i am in the situation, where i have lots of single pin plugs and nowhere to plug them! I connected A battery to the car just to see if anything i had done was drastically wrong and all seemed to be ok so i turned the key and the engine turned over but didn't start. i have managed to find that there isn't any fuel getting to the engine and i am pretty sure that there isn't a spark either i haven't checked this fully but with all the loose wires under the dash i wouldn't have thought there would be.

so my question is basically where exactly are all the single pin wires supposed to go?

I have tried to give as much info as i can without writing an essay so if you can help or need anymore info i will reply asap thanks

2. mattkh Forum Member

vr6

Hi

What year and engine code was the passat ?

3. Chrismontgomery8 New Member

i think the year was 1993 but not sure and the engine code is AAA

Last edited: Dec 26, 2006
  4. Chrismontgomery8 New Member

Hi So Does Anyone Know of anywhere that i can get some reletively easy to understand wiring diagrams for the VR6 and the 90 spec golf?

Thanks!

5. mr purple Forum Member

List the wire colours you have left to connect and I should be able to help.

6. vduben Forum Member

there is a few lads on here that have done the vr6 trans them selves, would be worth doing a serch and contacting them?

7. Chrismontgomery8 New Member

Hi, Thanks for the reply, i have been messing about with wires all day and using rubjonny's fusebox faq i have got some ideas. but my wiring is all an amalgamation of passat and golf so dont know if the wiring will be the same as in a corrado vr6.

So i have some plugs coming through the bulkhead which do not go to the fusebox and i dont have any wires left to connect to them so here is what i have got

a Red Sq 4Pin Plug with the following wires

yel/blk----------from the faq looks like this could be for the Pcv heating unit???
    brn/blu---------
    brn-------------this could be either for the cig lighter??? or Speed Sensor???
    red/blu--------- this could be for the Injectors, Hall Sender pin 3, evap&EGR frequency valves, Maf sensor pin 5, 02 sensor control module pin6 and motronic engine controll module pin 23???

Next i have

BLACK 1PIN PLUG

YEL-------THIS COOULD BE OIL PRESSURE SWITCH OR RIGHT HEADLIGHT DIPPED BEAM

ANOTHER BLACK 1PIN PLUG

YEL/BLK----THIS COULD BE LEFT HEADLIGHT???

RED 1PIN PLUG

RED/YEL-----HEATED 02 SENSOR/FUEL PUMP AFTER RUN???

BLACK 1PIN PLUG

VIO/WHT----CAN'T FIND ANYTHING TO MATCH THIS WIRE

BLUE 1PIN PLUG
    BLU/WHT----COOLANT TEMP SENSOR/RAD FAN RUN ON

these are all compete guesses from what plugs come through the bulk head yellow and white plugs so i just tried to match them with what the faq said they could be from on a corrado vr6 assuming the wiring is the same!!

Any help would be greatly appreicated

8. funkbaron Forum Junkie

I did the tranplant in a CE2 fusebox car, so can't help you much, but I can say, you don't need to worry about most of the individual plugs you've mentioned, they aren't anything to do with temp gauges and headlights, I think they are for diagnostics, air-con etc. The main one concerning you is the red single plug, red/yell wire, which is the live feed to the ECU. Car won't start without that connected (no spark or fuel). Other than that it's just the 3 main white engine plugs to deal with, not sure how they plug up to a CE1 fusebox mind, but sounds like you've dealt with them already. ECU relay will need plugging in too. If you click on the link below my picture, there's some info and pics of the VR6 loom plugs on page 13 i think.

9. davecr32 Forum Member

hi i will try to help. ive just had a quick look through my wiring diagrams. it would be really helpful if you could tell me where the wires go to by testing the plugs out on the engine side. these are only guess's so please double check first :)

a Red Sq 4Pin Plug with the following wires

yel/blk---------i know the plug you mean but cant find it at the moment
    brn/blu---------
    brn-------------
    red/blu---------

BLACK 1PIN PLUG

YEL------- RIGHT HEADLIGHT DIPPED BEAM

ANOTHER BLACK 1PIN PLUG

YEL/BLK----THIS IS LEFT HEADLIGHT

RED 1PIN PLUG

RED/YEL-----NOT SURE

BLACK 1PIN PLUG

VIO/WHT----this comes from the ecu and goes to the clocks j285

BLUE 1PIN PLUG
    BLU/WHT----comes from the ecu and goes to the fusebox terminal w/1 via tv13 vehicle speed signal wire 1 wire also goes to the radio

10. mr purple Forum Member

The single plug red/yel wire is one of the main wires for the ECU, fairly sure it's should be on an ignition live.

Pretty much any solid brown wire on a VW is an earth and the ones with a tracer colour can be earth or an earth sender wire.

11. Chrismontgomery8 New Member

ok folks thanks for that will give it a go and see if i get anything more to work thanks again

Chris

12. Chrismontgomery8 New Member

ok just tried to hard wire the ecu control wire and the ecu is live and there is power going to the coil pack but no spark i measured the connector on the top of the coil pack and red across pin1 and pin5, is there any signal wires that go to the coil pack that could cause it not to spark?

Chris

13. davecr32 Forum Member

im just wondering if your ecu has got a similar immobliser to the mk3? this would stop it running.

might be worth checking the crank position sensor i think that controls the spark

14. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Can you take a pic of the spare plugs you have, the 1 pin plugs sound like diagnostic stuff to me, but the 4 pin plug should have a home on the fusebox i think.

If the single pin plugs are very thin they sound like the jumper plugs that later VWs have...

15. Chrismontgomery8 New Member

ok here are some pictures of what i have got left!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

hope these can help!

16. Chrismontgomery8 New Member

Oh and one other thing has anyone got a picture handy of a ce2 fuse box with the correct relays for a vr6 in it because i am not sure if i have the correct configuration

Also i thought i would put some pics in here to let you see what your helping me finish!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hope you like it. I have owned the car now for just over two years and is my fifth mk2 i dont think my love for them will ever die!!!!

17. rubjonny

My fusebox FAQ has a corrado VR6 wiring diagram, and the CE2 layout will be correct for a VR fusebox also, as long as you use the correct VR relays. I've listed what the numbers on the front of the relays mean, but if there are any I havn't listed let me know the number and any part numbers off it and I can look it up :)

Pic 1 looks like a spare plug for the dash lights, which is normally unplugged so thats fine. Not sure on the rest, tho I think the white plug with a red wire might be something to do with the radiator fan system...

Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
  18. dubDREAD

dubDREAD Forum Member

RUBJONNY got a few questions for ya on mi smoke in fusebox thread:thumbup:

19. Chrismontgomery8 New Member

Yeah the whit one and the two pin black just leaves me with the yellow two pin the red four pin and a blue one pin.

do you have any pics of the relays that are in your fuse box because i am sure that i dont all the right ones in mine, just so i can do a comparison, did you have any problems getting your fuel pump to work because its not priming or anything!

20. rubjonny

According to my FAQ:
    1 Open
    2 Rear Wiper #72
    3 ECU Relay #109
    4 Load reduction relay #18
    5 Open
    6 Emergency flashers #21
    7 Open
    8 Intermittent wipers #19 or #99
    9 Open