Golf Mk3 VR6 Track Car Build

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by vr6smith, Jan 27, 2012.

1. M.I.K.E Forum Member

I'll be watching this thread. Recently turned my mk2vr6 into a track toy.
    First outing next weekend at llandow, then to the nurburgring for one lap (via Amsterdam for the night)!
    I'd be very interested in hearing of any other trackdays this year :)

2. marmite monster Forum Member

get rid of the dash 25kg of useless plastic !

3. vr6smith Forum Member

I have seen your thread with the dash out. I also see steves red vr6 with the dash back in but stripped out. I know it will be a tad heavier but I think I'm going to gut it and put the shell back. Just looks better, for the sake of .5 of a second I could put up with it :-)

Good luck with the trackday mike, make small stints on the track if it's your first, you and the car will need to get used to driving on track, too many people go endurance and wonder why the car fails or they are exhausted after the morning.

The ring will be good, great track, I have driven on it once before, lots of corners that take you by surprise, and Id driven it 100 times on the Xbox!!!!

Lots of trackdays out there mate, I'm off to donington next Sunday.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  4. M.I.K.E Forum Member

Iv been practicing in forza 4 lol.
    I'm not goin to race/compete, just to have a laugh really.

5. vr6smith Forum Member

Fitted my new motacorsa steering wheel yesterday not bad for 100 including omp boss from Jjc race and rally.
    53fc02e6.jpg
    917f6479.jpg
    aa9a71be.jpg

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  6. vr6smith Forum Member

Donington Park Track Day 11/03/2012

Some tri-pod action at Donington Park this Sunday.
    AJP_4493.jpg
    AJP_3909.jpg
    AJP_2674.jpg

7. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Nice job! Good to see it being used properly.

Gurds

8. MK1jettaGTi

MK1jettaGTi Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

JJC are my new favourite supplier for motorsport bits, had some harness eye bolts and bonnet pins from them this week, they're good on price and service, unlike a certain North Wales based motorsport outlet who's prices seem to have gone bonkers lately.

What have you done with the suspenion on the VR6, mie's a 16v, looking something firm and reasonably pricedto put on it.

Also, how much of the roll cage have you padded, did you get the padding from JJC too ?

9. vr6smith Forum Member

I don't know how I didn't find them sooner, I have to agree with you about the bonkers pricing of demons!! Jjc even use the same website layout to add insult to injury!!

I padded the roll cage by my head on the top side parts of the cage, on the door bars all the way down to stop my elbow knocking and my leg hitting it and a small way up the front roll hoop, again to stop my leg knocking. I have to admit, I did just go to wickes and buy pipe insulation!!! I got the thicker stuff for by my head though.

My suspension is bilstein coilovers, adjustable ride height but pre set dampening, the car is really well balanced, it did Cost me a grand but I thought if I go for the cheap no name 400 set I'll only be changing them and then paying the same any way in the long run.

Best improvement I found after the suspension was the strut braces. Massive difference to the handling. Even more with the cage

10. vr6smith Forum Member

Update on the car...
    I removed the mid silencer of the exhaust and replaced with stainless steel straight through pipe. Mission of a job, I had to remove the decat pipe and spend an hour on my back under the car twisting off the old pipe from the rear section of the exhaust.

Anyway, all done now. I replaced the rubbers while I was at it, I got some from euro car parts when I installed the exhaust last year, they were cracking already!!! Rubbish quality!!
    So I got some vw ones instead this time and they feel alot stronger, only a few 's more.

The sound doesn't differ much maybe a tad louder, but my main reason is to try and get the hot gas out quicker, the centre section gets so hot when on track I can feel the heat through the car and through my trousers, that is with the heat shield under the car, it's only a thin peace of metal I suppose.

Didn't get any pics though, I was so knackered after wrestling the old part off I couldn't be bothered, I'll grab some snaps when I'm next on the car and upload them.

11. vr6smith Forum Member

Tyres

A day out at rockingham on Sunday took the last life out of the tyres.

My co-driver getting ready!
    a030cdf9.jpg

I got some Toyo R1R tyres to replace the old T1R's, I managed to find them cheapest on www.camskill.co.uk they arrived next day!.

I used their price beater and they sent me an email with a discount code on Toyo tires, if anyone needs it - TOMOTEMP1, it took 45 off my order.

1f8d76f9.jpg

12. vr6smith Forum Member

I've been thinking of getting either a K&N Apollo enclosed or making my own box for a while now. With the Apollo fetching over 100 I am going to make my own first.

I see another thread by 'Toyotec' he had modified a VW airbox, this got me thinking and the results are below.

Off to the local scrap yard to get a vw airbox, wish I had kept my original now! I had to rob a GTI but it doent matter as the internal hot air supply is all coming out, infact some of those parts came in handy as you will see later.

Original box
    4428ddf1.jpg
    Inside top
    2f59d905.jpg
    inside botton half
    eac07e1c.jpg

First, out with the internals!
    84626816.jpg
    f1ae05ce.jpg

Trial fitting to see what and where need cutting.
    19fcc112.jpg
    4875e7a4.jpg
    f09daad9.jpg

Bottom part.
    c37e5c3e.jpg
    2c8aa501.jpg
    57bbdfd0.jpg
    1e23147f.jpg

Top Part,
    d8f794d3.jpg
    29d1f328.jpg

Both together.
    90439ae4.jpg
    b4d25b56.jpg

A little more to come off, also removed the cone in the top part of the box to make room for the K&N.
    93e1e8f5.jpg
    c79923e8.jpg
    89066e98.jpg

All fits now, just need to block the unwanted holes off, i used the hot air internals as two parts were luckily the same sizes as the holes i needed to block.
    7cbc4dd5.jpg
    722663cc.jpg
    26a780a0.jpg
    e8b4dc4f.jpg
    8080645a.jpg

Installing the air feed, now from the front bumper rather than the wing.
    70722315.jpg
    dc11c54d.jpg
    a866c3a1.jpg
    3de698de.jpg

Job Done.
    b6b5a8a3.jpg
    b4b4ea0f.jpg
    dddd4a42.jpg

13. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

Love the airbox modding, some really good ideas shown for others to follow! :thumbup:

Just out of interest, what is that air temp sensor you have installed in the inlet pipe? It looks a little large, would that not obstruct the airflow/cause turbulence? *EDIT* just realised it's a VR6, so I guess that sensor is standard, still looks huge and obstructive.

14. vr6smith Forum Member

Thanks mate, the air temp sensor is the original.

15. vr6smith Forum Member

Today I added another Air Feed to my airbox, I wan't happy that the feed I installed would supply enought air for the engine.

So, back on with the Morette headlights, I removed the inner lamps to make way for the airfeed.
    9005c331.jpg

Direct to the airbox
    9e610889.jpg

Put in place to see if it fits!
    87534a61.jpg

Just enough space for an extra hole.
    6c9eb6d2.jpg
    76a68515.jpg
    590f87ff.jpg
    3e7b0b14.jpg
    f08b718b.jpg

Cable tied the hose in place to stop it being forced out.
    4856762f.jpg

Inside, straight into the box and through to the K&N.
    f1d30fb5.jpg
    e4bad485.jpg

I didn't want the car to look odd so I did the same on both sides, the near side airfeed delivers the air over the inlet manifold, I don't think it will do much but better the air going somewhere half useful.
    324eeddb.jpg
    5a729c21.jpg
    9af51067.jpg

Behold the iphone shaddow!!!
    e52aa1a2.jpg
    0bb04f81.jpg

Also got round to doing the front door cards. Been wanting to get rid of the originals for a while now.
    5eb678b5.jpg
    bfbd8a34.jpg

16. vr6smith Forum Member

Just uploaded a video from my track day at donington on friday.

[YOUTUBE]t3S8O465HVI[/YOUTUBE]

17. marmite monster Forum Member

i know that sound :)
    looks like its going well

18. vr6smith Forum Member

Yeh, it was a good day. Bloody hot though!!

I had a play around with the tyre pressures, I was struggling with a little under steer in the morning. It's amazing what a difference just a couple of psi makes! I had the fronts set to 27 psi hot and the rears to 28.5psi hot, doing this really helped, but the best improvement came when I dropped the car down 20mm in ride height, I had taken the ride height up a little while ago to give the wheels room To clear the shocks but when I bought the spacers I never took it down again, doh! Nice and low now though there was only a few threads left on the rear shocks.

19. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

20. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

oh put you back pressure up 4 psi and a bit more in the front and try it