Golf Mk3 VR6 Track Car Build

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by vr6smith, Jan 27, 2012.

1. vr6smith Forum Member

315EF7B7-38DF-41B2-A304-EAC51DA98AB2-10876-00000EB4986D0457.jpg

Before you phone child line, he did not drive the car!!

2ED009A8-BC16-4DBB-9527-C9644D08F14B-10876-00000EB4B44771E8.jpg

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  2. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

How did you find those pads ? I`ve not heard of them before.

3. vr6smith Forum Member

Equal if not better than the ebc red stuff, in fact they went longer without fading, I would recommend them.

4. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Good to see people moving over to slicks.

5. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

can you post up a VID on slicks

6. vr6smith Forum Member

Ill have a go, to be honest it took so long to download that vid I couldn't be bothered doing the others. I'll give it ago one night and post it up here. Looking to see a difference are we??;)

7. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

Great to see the development on the car, and it out being used! Think you might need stiffer suspension and more camber - it'll be more pronounced on the slicks, with the extra grip - but as long as you're enjoying the car, that's the main thing! :thumbup:

P.S. Who's catching who, in that one??

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  9. vr6smith Forum Member

Your defiantly right on the enjoying bit... I am having to offset what I want to do with the car ie suspension change, and how much I enjoy the car as it is.

I have to remember that I am not competing and some of the changes would not make any improvement to me enjoying my day although would make the car better. As it sits the car is a lot quicker than things it shouldn't be, mainly in the bends.

your right on the slicks, they showed me another level but the car needs to be ready for it, unfortunately I do need dampening control... Something I didn't think I'd need when I bought the suspension. I have looked into the eibach camber adjustment and they look pretty simple to fit so will probably be my next purchase,,, maybe with new suspension. Working on the wife with that one, and my conscience of spending another load of money on the car while we are looking for a new house!!! Decisions decision??

If I remember rightly it was a bit of cat and mouse with that porka, he blasted away on the straights and I'd end up all over him on the corners, easy to see why when you look at how wide he was through that corner!!

10. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Porsche is a 996 GT3. We love VR6's

11. vr6smith Forum Member

Just uploading a video to YouTube when I went out on the slicks, it's also the video that shows who was chasing who with the Porsche!! I'll post it up when it's done uploading.

12. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Red aren`t really a track pad TBH.

Liking the 3-wheel pics :)

13. vr6smith Forum Member

The red stuff was best I could get at the time to fit the standard calipers, they did pretty well on track actually for a fast road pad.

14. taks CGTI Committee Paid Member

Hi
    Did the R1R's go off toward the end of that vid or were you trying harder
    There seemed progressively more and more power on understeer as the vid went on (more noticeable in the latter stages)....

15. vr6smith Forum Member

Yeh, you only need to show them the Tarmac and they get hot, if you notice I didn't really do a warm up lap, you can really notice them fade. I find if I go for it straight away I can get a good few laps out of them. The car does tend to under steer more due to the size of the engine up front and when the tyres go off a little feathering the throttle and lift off oversteer help pull it round.

This is why I bought the slicks really, my plan is to use the r1r's as wets, I went out on them in the morning as the track was a little damp. Didn't fancy my first time on slicks in the damp:)

16. vr6smith Forum Member

Here is the video when on slicks, one off my first runs out on them, so maybe not as quick as I'd like. Lots more noise and rattle from the camera in this one too.

But it does tell the story with the Porsche, tyres warm up after four and a half minutes so nothing really happens before then.

[video=youtube_share;jZVeHP9d0-U]http://youtu.be/jZVeHP9d0-U[/video]

17. coullstar Forum Member

I had them in my old VRT and they were fine until the first trackday. I swapped to Mintex M1144's and they were a massive improvement overall and fairly cheap.

18. vr6smith Forum Member

Thanks coullstar, I'll have a look at those, the pads don't tend to last long so shouldn't be long before I need to change them again

19. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Have a look at pagid blacks. Fantastic pads

Some good lines on that vid, smooth and precise no drama and looks quick on the slicks.

All over the prosche, who says VR6's arnt quick on track!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  20. vr6smith Forum Member

Thanks mike.

Btw your message box is full. I can't pm you.