GOLF, Mk4 150 tdi Vs Mk5 140 tdi *Which is better*??

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by Hendy, Mar 30, 2009.

1. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

not been in here for a whiule but ill clear up a few miss understandings and give my views having driven both,

the 140 is a 16v as said, its an evolution of the 130, less peaky than the 8v motors but revs better and had a broader spread of torque, down sides are they drink a smidge more....your looking at about 49-51 avg where as a 150 should give 49-53 or so on a good run taken easy, but its marginal between them in the real world.

the 150 feels quick, but that was in a mk5 anni vs my A4 estate which is a few 100kg heavier so that doesnt help the acceleration.

on the DPF issue, only later 140s from 2006 or so iirc, have the dpf. these engines are ok but the dpf will use a bit more fuel when it regenerates and cleans its self out. this is done normally when crusing on the motorway with a hot engine. the plus side is there is less soot from the exhaust, so the back of the car stays a little cleaner...

there are a few issues to watch though, the main being that the 150s have a habit of eating the tappets and the cam...they need oil changes every 6 month or 6k really with the proper vag oil and filter,

the 140s to keep them in top form will again need taking off the 2 year 20k services but these will happly run 1 year or 10k between oil changes so long as they arent ragged.

on the mapping front, the 140s go to around the 170-175 mark and become very good to drive. the overall drive will depend whos done the map and how its been done. mine been done by Mike at Motechpeformance and its quite a mild map for town use, as bellow 2k or so and 1/2 throttle the map used is the stock OEM map, and this means no extra fuel used and no sudden turbo boost, but when pushed it moves onto the peformance map and goes like stink!!!

the 150 will map to around 180-190, but this is due to the 150 being a more highly tweaked unit and also benefits from a large front mount intercooler where as the 140 has the same side mount as found on the 130 and lower mk4 golfs etc.

the biggest desciding factor must surely be though if you want a mk4 golf or a mk5?!?!?!

2. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

seraph, is that you?? :lol: :lol:

3. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

that post said it hadnt gone up as I had "logged out" so i re-wrote it, posted and then both appeared so I deleted the first one :lol: