Got the g/box off the old 1.8 KR and found issues !!

Discussion in 'Corrado' started by watercooled, May 29, 2021.

1. watercooled Forum Member

This a fairly small budget conversion but didn't believe it will be like that !!!!,split the g/box off the old motor and found the clutch disk is rooted.
    EDIT ...had a measure up and disk appears to be 225mm (9 inch ) but pressure plate is marked 228 mm? but the friction surfaces are 9 inch ,rather confusing.
    Anyone know the Sachs and VW part number ? don't what to order from oversea's and get wrong part,cheers.

Last edited: May 29, 2021
  2. watercooled Forum Member

I would get this old clutch disk relined but the centre spline section and the springs are all flogged out,funny never had any clutch shudder but I would say it was due to poo in a big way not far down the road !!!!!.
    I may get the flywheel machined but haven't really looked @ it closely,no hot spots and nice and flat,may as well do it right as I may drive it for a while and see all is ok then on sell it ...hard to say as I may like it even more LOL ,if that's the case I may keep it and sell my T4 Transporter as after moving houses it have served its purpose and my idea's of going to a camper no longer happening even after buying stove/sink,watertank and roof fans etc.
    Cheers.

3. watercooled Forum Member

021141031D_jpg.png Been researching till my eyes are strained lol,appears this clutch plate Sachs number 021 141 03D is for all VR6 powered corrado ,passat,golf with 02A box,I have based my search's on US spec due to the difference in gearboxes used there as opposed to ROW cars.
    Autohaus AZ have a plate with the correct part number for $99usd which is discounted down ,shipping is $9usd to my NZ based freight forward shipper in Portland Oregon...thought that is a pretty good deal and I will buy a new slave cylinder from them @ a further $60usd.
    There will be a lead time but by the time I get other cleaning and prep work its not really an issue.

4. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

5. watercooled Forum Member

Hi,its certain bigger than 210mm and not an 020 box as it is cable shift and hydraulic clutch,yes it surprises me to the clutch is this big.
    Have checked flywheel,thrust bearing and pressure plate and all good to use again,but as mentioned may get flywheel ground,cheers.

6. Tristan

Ah, well, cable club so, probably an ABF or G60 clutch.

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

all the corrado use the 02a type gearbox with '228mm' clutch except for the early 2.0 8v which had a smaller one at 215mm but those are like rocking horse.

so yeah, get a corrado 16v/g60/vr6, mk3 16v/tdi/vr6, various seat etc 228mm clutch and you'll be fine. They vary in torque rating, but as you only have a 1.8 16v you can get whichever kit is cheapest and be off on your way. I'd only use sachs make :)

8. Tristan

Ah ha, i didn't know it was a Corrado.

9. watercooled Forum Member

Thanks for the answers,I only use Sachs clutches as heard of problems with aftermarket stuff so don't go there.
    I haven't cleaned or inspected the g/box ,besides the thrust bearing are there other wear parts in the release system I should look for ?,cheers.

10. rubjonny

not much you can replace on the outside apart from the guide sleeve the release bearing rides on, this includes the input shaft seal if you buy it though. 02A141180A at 19+VAT from the dealer

11. watercooled Forum Member

Many thanks RJ,I have that on my AutohausAZ wish list,$7.99usd ,is the seal built into the guide ?.
    Longblock almost finished and will go back in the without fuel system,got the coolant hard line plumbed up and found it didn't bolt up to the front mount carrier,felt stupid as it finally dawned on me the bracket was out line because the extra height of the ABF,no hassle to make a adaptor piece to make it bolt up.

12. watercooled Forum Member

Many thanks RJ,I have that on my AutohausAZ wish list,$7.99usd ,gearbox cleaned out in the bellhousing what a mess,all parts are good but will do guide tube as it appears to hold the shaft seal as asked previously .
    The list of parts gets longer …..

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  13. rubjonny

yep that part number includes both replaceable seals 085311113 at 10.44+VAT and N 90354301 at 4.45+VAT, so for a couple extra quid you may as well do the lot.

plus if you hunt around on ebay etc you can usually find genuine VW ones cheap, or high quality ones which are still genuine VW but the part numbers and logos are shaved off (look close, you'll often see this on the pics) :)

14. watercooled Forum Member

Just ordered all the parts I need all @ keen prices from AutohausAZ but have just found out my freight forward to New Zealand is running slow due to covid in the US as goods arrive to my country via air freight so planes are talking longer to load to capacity.
    Nevermind ,still haven't completed unloading my container since I moved here recently and I know I have other parts for my conversion of which I will hopefully find.
    Or I could not do that and work on my Porsche....kinda like being retired .

15. watercooled Forum Member

Been tracking my order from Autohaus and it will be on its way to my freight forward by now,cleaned up my gearbox and pleased that is over !!!,will start cleaning the engine bay soon then I can start patching up insulation on wiring loom.
    Pretty keen to see what the car will go like with the ABF,old KR turns out to have a bad headgasket so that would explain lack of power and crankcase blow by which blew the crank seal out.

16. watercooled Forum Member

Started cleaning engine bay and stripping off all the buggered loom tape and replacing with new,makes a hell of a mess but don't like a bunch of exposed wires everywhere.....good news as found no hack jobs on the loom.
    All my parts are on the way to my country ,got burnt real bad on shipping rate as Covid has effected that as well as longer shipping times,jeez the shipping rate from the US to my country via my freight forward has gone up around 60% !!!!,not worth complaining about as the cost of what parts I could buy here were mental.
    Once my clutch plate turns up I will be sorted enough to bolt up the trans to motor and pop it back in,that will be a good day :) :).
    Cheers.

dodgy likes this.
  17. watercooled Forum Member

As per my last reply mentioning re-wrapping wiring loom which is going well by the way,question is I have a blue wire extending from middle of firewall around the strut tower and extending along the chassis rail and further on the drivers side,was never connected when last time the car was running.....what is it for ?.
    Further my comment about freight from the USA I checked customs regs today as worried I was going to get further burnt on duty,turns out the limit for duty has been raised but of course I need to pay GST (same as VAT) of 15% so in the end not as bad as I thought ;) happy days.
    Cheers.

18. rubjonny

doesnt sound original to me, the only solid blue is for the alternator which is run with the lighting loom to a spade near the battery live, then from there to alternator

19. watercooled Forum Member

Pretty much what I thought,altenator wire is darker blue and for exititation for the altenator voltage reg besides its on the opposite side ...correct ?,this wire is light blue and has no current going to it,won't chop it and just leave it there as not an issue,thanks mate.

20. rubjonny

chase it back best you can, if its been added in it'll probably go thru a bulkhead grommet by itself. prob old alarm leftover or maybe a feed for electric aerial someones added