Got the g/box off the old 1.8 KR and found issues !!

Discussion in 'Corrado' started by watercooled, May 29, 2021.

1. watercooled Forum Member

Thanks RJ you nailed it again ,traced back and found it going through the firewall to alarm,it was the old alarm bonnet switch wire,just chopped the bugger off,cheers.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Good stuff :thumbup:

3. watercooled Forum Member

Good a nice surprise as my parts all turned up early from the US,finished prepping the gearbox and fitted new clutch slave cylinder and refitted thrust bearing.
    Got the gearbox up on to the motor and did up the pressure plate through the starter mount as didn't have a pilot tool for this gearbox,the 020 one I had is completely wrong as different (larger) centre spline with this clutch plate.
    Motor not going back in yet as I haven't finished my enginebay tidy up as its been raining for the last week but happy with progress besides.....onward.

4. watercooled Forum Member

Rain gone so I finished tidying up the wiring,found something weird on the battery wiring,one wire on the negative side was wrapped in what looked like factory loom tape ,stripped the old stuff off and found the wire was red !!!!,how could this be ? ,was thinking there should be 2 red wires on the positive battery clamp and one black wire on the body earth to battery terminal ?.
    Thinking the wiring should be late Golf setup for 16V as same chassis ?.
    Got the engine in after struggling with rear mount top bolts,went underneath and loosened it off @ the mount subframe bolts and got it sorted.
    Time is limited due to rather cold winter here which isn't normal for this part of the country,being retired I don't mind too much but have work to do on my transporter and don't want it dragging on too long as I have some bodywork and paint to do on the Corrado.

5. rubjonny

You should have one red and one brown in the headlight loom from fusebox as standard, anything else is aftermarket. Chase that red to source

6. watercooled Forum Member

Sorry to put you wrong RJ but I should of said I have a brown and a red which I have,the second red which was on the negative battery clamp heads off down the chassis rail into the loom and pretty much sure it is factory ,there is a spare black wire that is on the negative side and that's an add on most likely for the alarm as it have been put into a blanking plug in the firewall.

7. rubjonny

chase it right back to source, if its a VW loom a red wire is a live not earth 100%. extra wires apart from the main live and earth I mention could be part of abs which will be separate from the main headlight loom, or fan control module which can sometimes be separate from main harness or integrated on the corrado depending on age/model

8. watercooled Forum Member

Wiring sorted thanks RJ ,next strange question is that I cleaned up drivers side fiberglass CV cover ( #357 407 721 ) but found it lines up with no holes in the ABF block but lines up fine on the old KR block where it came from.?.
    Seems odd to me but could be too blind to see it ??,maybe the metal one off a 8V may fit with a bit of bending ,have one but don't know if it will work,help please,cheers.

9. rubjonny

357407721 is corrado specific, if you have a mk2 golf one its worth a try they have 3 bolt holes. the ABF has an alloy bracket bolted a bit higher up close to the manifold with shield clipped to it

10. watercooled Forum Member

I don't have the mounts brackets anymore so I cut 4mm off the base of the shield and picked up one cast in block 10mm thread hole and was surprised to find it lined up fine if not a little high but solid enough with the one bolt and a penny washer....job done.
    Next issue I have is some of my labels on the engine loom are unreadable so mixed up and don't know where to connect to the small head temp sensors ,3 of them which is 2 @ the top of the head and 1 lower around the coolant flange .
    Have the following ;
    1 x wire yellow/red,
    1 x wire green/red,
    1 x wire black/yellow.
    I would like to know where they plug in and there function in the system as I will need replacements as I broke the pins off 2 of them.....bugger it.
    TIA.

11. rubjonny

yellow/red and green/red are coolant temp sensor for dash and isv controller, those need spades on and go to the 3 black temp sensors side of the head. you should have a blue/white ecu temp to the 3rd sensor.

black/yellow is that the original colour, chase it back maybe itsa been tapped into another colour wire. I cant think of any mk2 wire near the head that colour but may be corrado specific

12. watercooled Forum Member

Thanks John,not sure about my labeling but feel it makes little difference as they are all black 120C rated ,so shouldn't be an issue,just a matter of finding replacement ones in my country,if its not a Jap car in my country parts suppliers look @ you strange then say "oh its a European car then " ,pretty bad attitude as there is a shitload of European cars here due to huge amounts imported from Japan.
    Cheers mate.

13. watercooled Forum Member

Slow progress again due to weather,we had a massive winter weather bomb hit the country and cause severe damage to many area's,worst for years and lots of folks homeless,poor buggers.
    Close to getting it running but waiting for parts …..again !!,set up injection and got it primed no problems,cranked motor over and got oil pressure pretty much straight away so real happy.
    One question is I lost a label and think my WUR is hooked up wrong ?,which is the pressure on the WUR...the large banjo pipe or the small banjo pipe ?.
    TIA

14. watercooled Forum Member

Got it running this afternoon, too dark to finish but it runs nice.....will report back,cheers.
    Got the ABF running just as it was getting dark ,started well ,idled well ,some smoke on startup but had put oil down the plugs sometime back,some light lifter noise that cleared almost straight away,well pleased.
    Next day topped up the oil and had a good check over ,run up for 10mins and then the radiator spilled its guts,not surprised as it looked a bit crusty for having only been replaced in 2001,was leaking @ the lower hose and strangely leaking about 100mm down from the top on the LH side.
    Measured it and it appears to be mk2 Golf so have emailed a couple of suppliers to see if they have stock,prices seem to be $200 - 260NZD so not too bad really.
    Still waiting to get a replacement clutch slave cylinder hose made so I couldn't have driven it anyway....no big deal.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  15. watercooled Forum Member

Good progress lately,oil cooler changed as it spilled its guts like the radiator,call me lucky or not ?? lol.
    Have some minor coolant leaks but new radiator is working well ,not worried about leaks as needed to flush out oil from the coolant system,which took a fair amount of time.
    Clutch was a bastard to bleed until I found the master cylinder bleed screw was blocked ...would explain bad pedal feel.
    Late in the day but we are due for bad weather again for the next week so took the car for a quick drive,wow what a difference from the old worn KR !!!!!!!,very free to rev and so much extra torque and power,super happy ,anything now on is easy enough TBO,cheers.

16. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Well spotted on the bleed screw .

watercooled likes this.
  17. watercooled Forum Member

True,but not like I found it quickly ,was just a small piece of crap stuck in the bleed hole,as mentioned previously I have no idea how the clutch even worked before ,the slave cylinder was totally full of crap and totally pitted in the bore not to mention the hose was leaking and ready to pop.
    I had replaced pivot bolt on shifter tower etc and gearshift lever parts and still thought cable shift setup sucked a bit,my son had a converted Mk3 wagen with abf motor and box and said his was like that after driving the corrado.
    Shifting gears now is like a hot knife thru butter so another real positive,new clutch plate helped as the old one had a flogged out center spline and bad springs.
    Traced the water leak to the plastic pipe on the waterpump ,the area that supports the thermostat sealing rubber mostly broken so would explain it leaking as it was,replaced it and all appears ok for now,also swapped out the thermostat as the original was very "lazy".
    Onwards,cheers.

18. watercooled Forum Member

Flushed cooling system as per my 16V engine thread,overall everything appears fine engine wise until the bloody drivers side exterior door handle broke today,sort off pissed off as not one that's easy to find but remembered it is an early Passat part but research indicates the Corrado one is infact the same however the door latch release is different and that's the broken part....need that like a extra asshole TBH.
    Not sure what to do as there are no parts for these cars in my country,found a genuine one online but it was 250 euro...too spendy for me,wonder if I can make the Passat one work ??.

19. rubjonny

Have a look for the handle repair kits, someone does a stronger part. Dreadnought customs perhaps?

20. watercooled Forum Member

Thanks again John ,have found a Passat one new on a NZ auction site but appears to be rather different,the latch actuator is not right and the key lock casting is different and I'am not sure if I can swap my unbroken one to the end of the lock barrel ???.
    Besides these handles don't easy come apart but have found a repair kit out of Germany may look @ that.