GSF?

Discussion in 'Quality retailers & Supplies' started by sum1, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Oplaii Forum Member

I wondered what was making that noise!

At my local branch they've helped me out on several occasions, when no one else seemed to be able too.:thumbup:

Oplaii

2. Golfvr6 Forum Member

You'll wonder what makes your engine explode when substandard taiwanese poo pants in VW boxes gives up the ghost.

for the blinkered try the following site.

www.germanswedishandfrench.co.uk

3. Golfvr6 Forum Member

Its up to all of you if you want to risk your life for the sake of a few quid.

4. daviddd Forum Member

A bit OTT methinks - we're prob talking a risk factor of millions to one that a GSF part will kill you! [:s] Anyway we all have our financial limits! [:^(] Eating a big Mac is far more dangerous IMVHO ;)

5. Golfvr6 Forum Member

ott? not according to the bbc and trading standards
    its up to you, personally i'd rather pay more for piece of mind.

6. Dr.Pepper New Member

Yup, same here.
    Very knowledgable guy in the Luton branch.

7. Dr.Pepper New Member

And that has what to do with gsf exactly ?

8. Golfvr6 Forum Member

if you can't work that out then well .... oh dear thats all i can say [:s]

9. destructiv dave Forum Member

Golfvr6,

What can I say, you've been stitched up buying cheap parts from GSF. Deal with it, you obviously have issues.

You can buy parts from GSF that are made by the same companies that sell to VAG, that are in fact the same standard of equipment (if not even the same parts) as those supplied by VAG at a far cheaper cost.

Yes a BBC program two years ago found that GSF were unknowlingly selling fake parts as genuine parts, but is this still the case now, or would a large national company have increased the checks on the parts they received and thus sold to the public, or would they just sit back like a cowboy operation hoping people would forget.

I will still spend my money there as will a large number of people on here who would rather spend a sensible amount for a part rather than spending more at VAG than their car is worth.

10. Golfvr6 Forum Member

Destructiv Dave,

I have no issues that i need dealing with mate, i am just trying to warn people to be careful what they buy.
    Buy what you want pal, its up to you.
    :)
    Edited by: Golfvr6

11. daviddd Forum Member

:clap:

12. Andy947 Forum Addict

13. Andy947 Forum Addict

:lol:

Yup, well not know it "all" but know a hell of a lot of it ;)

14. Golfvr6 Forum Member

By the way i got some pics of some dodgy so called O.E. top mounts from GSF, if anyone is actually interested.

15. HEARDY Forum Member

What actually happened to the top mounts Golfvr6? What was the fault with them? Also did they come in original VAG packaging [:?:]

16. Golfvr6 Forum Member

The mounts were on a mates mk2 16v, they were supposed to be o.e. or so the guy at the branch said, febi? i think.
    The rubber was very poor quality, resulting in a very high retaining plate. I had the same problem on my car, huge gap, i took them off and got genuine mounts. The rubber was stretching big time when the weight of the car was back on the wheels.
    GSF used to be good, years back, before they starting doing french parts.
    Has anyone bought boge lowering kits from GSF?
    mk3 vr6, the springs are uneven on the front and don't need compressing to assemble fronts. The springs could be turned out of the seats when suspension was on full hang, this is an MOT failure. I tried changing several bits before rejecting the kit and then getting a weitic kit from C&R which i have had no problems with.
    I have seen other cars with the boge kits from GSF on, problems have varied from very harsh ride to uneven front springs resulting in one side of the car sitting higher than the other, the latter seems to be a popular one with their kits.
    I still have the pics of the top mounts if anyone can host them for me, i will send an email.
    They were only on the car for a year , they were so stretched they had to be removed and binned. They are shocking.

17. HEARDY Forum Member

I think the majority of stuff GSF sell is made by febi, i doubt if it's OE though.As far as springs go though i had the same thing where u can fit the springs without compressing them but this has been down to using standard shocks instead of modified ones which are shorter.Never had any probs with GSF though good for usual stuff like plugs and filter's etc

18. alanbe2 Paid Member Paid Member

If there's an issue with a particular branch then write to head office. They're none too happy if one of the franchises is giving the brand a bad name.

Al

19. Golfvr6 Forum Member

Heres the link for GSF 'O.E' top mounts against genuine VW top mounts.

http://www.richandhazel.servebeer.com/gti/genpics/files/stru tani.GIF

I have seen other top mounts from GSF like this. As for spring problem, the guy at the branch (Farnham) said it was perfectly normal to be able to move the springs when the suspension is on full hang. Infact this is not the case, as it is an MOT failure.
    I would be very wary if anyone wants me to fit any GSF parts in the future.

20. HEARDY Forum Member

That link doesnt seem to work.When you say on full hang you mean when jacked up?Like it has been said before they are only parts men and not usually mechanic's so there knowledge is a bit limited!!The only cure to stop them moving is to fit shorter uprated dampers as well, as opposed to standard ones.