Gti 8v TO Diesel?!

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Mk2_8v, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Mk2_8v

Mk2_8v Forum Member

Far far away in the East riding of Yorkshire
    Hi,

Iv got a mk2 gti 8v, buuuut...i am wanting to put a diesel engine to replace the 8v, i was gonna go like 16v or vr6 way but thought im still gonna be using as much if not more fuel! So iv decided i wanted to put a diesel in to her, but what would people suggest?

cheers

2. danster Forum Addict

If your car is a 90spec with the CE2 wiring loom, the TDI engine with it's electronic management is an option.
    If it is not then you could go with the earlier IDI engine as they just run a mechanical diesel injection pump. The TD versions can be made to go very well.
    I have a 1.9TD in my red road car rocco. They can be tweaked to blow away 16vs too. :o

3. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

1.9 TDI from Mk3, Passat, etc (as Dan says) can make nearly 200bhp with the right mods. Plenty for a Mk2 daily, and still returns decent consumption. :thumbup:

4. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

A mk3 should be a simple mod wiith simlar wiring looms/fuse boxes

mk4 engine/loom is a bit more of a intense weekend...

5. Mk2_8v

Mk2_8v Forum Member

Sounds good to me and on a price region how much would you say for the full conversion? Either someone doing it or for me a someone to do it?

6. scruffydubber Paid Member Paid Member

7. danster Forum Addict

Is a PD from a mk4 not a little more complicated to fit than the mk3 era TDI 1Z and AHU options?

PDs have there problems too do they not?
    The 1Z and AHU can be tweaked to perform well and if the OP's car is a CE2 wiring loom will be far more straightforward.
    Price wise too, the earlier TDIs will be a lot cheaper to find as well in mk3 TDIs and Passats.

8. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

How hard is the swap into an early mk2?

9. Mk2_8v

Mk2_8v Forum Member

My golf is originally a Mk2 Ryder, 1.6, but its got a 1.8 gti 8v in it at the minute, and also its a J plate!

10. danster Forum Addict

Lucky for you then, the later CE2 loom will make it far more straightforward. Pretty much plug and play as far AFAIK. :thumbup:

11. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Crispy has a PD in his Mk1 iirc, he's the man to ask

12. Mk2_8v

Mk2_8v Forum Member

Looks like ill be going forward with it then, what year Passat should i look out for?

13. danster Forum Addict

Transverse engined Passat or mk3 golf TDI with a 1Z code, not sure if the AHU ones were actually fitted to them or might have just been Seats. Golf may be the best option as the loom may be closer to your mk2 style. I have a Passat TDI 1Z and loom here but the loom looks a lot longer than the golf ones I have come across.
    Whole donor car may be a good starting point as there will be a lot of little bits and bobs you need. Not just the engine and loom.
    Try having a search and checkout some threads on other folks conversions. There is a little work involved with the conversion such as throttle potentiometer / pedal box amongst other things.

14. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

not to worry about the mk 2 being a 1600, my first mk2 tdi was a driver to start off with, 14" rusty steels playing with normal cars on the motorway

I've not had much to do with passat/mk3 golf engines but seems fairy straight forward, if you can find a whole doner car it will be almost a straight swap!

15. Mk2_8v

Mk2_8v Forum Member

16. danster Forum Addict

17. Mk2_8v

Mk2_8v Forum Member

Iv asked how much for the whole car but no reply as off yet, how much do you reckon i should offer??

And ye i no its always handy [:D]
    Cheers for the advice fellas
    :thumbup:

18. danster Forum Addict

The whole car will be useful as it will also supply bigger hubs and brakes as well as the running gear. Worth getting hold of the whole thing, you will always get some money back at the end when you scrap what you no longer need.
    Not sure what scrap prices you are getting down there but up here it is over 100. If I needed a car for bits I would easily pay a couple of hundred quid for a donor knowing that I would get 100 or so back at the end when I had stripped all I needed off it.

19. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

20. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin