Gti 8v TO Diesel?!

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Mk2_8v, Oct 1, 2010.

1. danster Forum Addict

2. Mk2_8v

Mk2_8v Forum Member

Far far away in the East riding of Yorkshire
    I dont get all these engine code numbers and stuff, im guessing ill just write them down and look on the blocks yeah? [:$]

3. adam611 Forum Member

You should see a flat rectangular bit near the top of the block with the engine number on it, the engine code should be the first bit

4. Mk2_8v

Mk2_8v Forum Member

would a SDI 1.9 diesel from a 1999 mk4 golf go in??

5. danster Forum Addict

SDI is non turbo and slow as a dog....................with no legs. Best not bother with that. :thumbup:

You are looking for a TDI engine. These are turbocharged and have an intercooler. They will generally have a plastic engine cover with the letters TDI on it.
    The codes are generally on the timing belt cover as mentioned above. There may also be a white sticker in the boot somewhere with the vehicles specs on it. Think it has Eng / Moteur code and you will see the letters there too.
    1Z and AHU are the two codes I am aware of that would be suitable.
    Mk4 engines are more involved to fit than the mk3 ones.

EDIT Jeepers, that TDI you link us too got sold for 99p!!!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  6. Mk2_8v

Mk2_8v Forum Member

Just used trusty wikipedia and ye that engine is a WHOLE 63bhp, so yeah ill give it a miss!

And as for that other golf i linked i got an email back and the car has no engine or box, someone bought it for a camper?! So pretty gutted on that half as he only wanted 250 for the whole car!

7. golfgtioz. Forum Member

ive just fitted a mk3 1.9td engine into my 1.3 ryder , brilliant conversion , plenty of power and with the near straight through exhaust and cone filter you get some very nice turbo sounds .. go for it fella , dead easy conversion :thumbup:

8. borachris New Member

I started doing this a couple of weeks ago, using an ARL PD engine and bigger turbo, can't wait to get it on the road!

9. benthejettaman Forum Member

any details on the wiring by any chance as i wanna do this conversion on a b3 passat

10. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

any info on wiring for early mk2's?

11. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

The easiest thing would be to convert to later (CE2) fusebox, then the Mk3 diesel conversion would be plug and play (-ish)

12. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

What about a V6 TDi in a mk2? Crispy, fancy putting in one in my car for a bit of fun??

13. afbiker02

How hard is it to change to the CE2 fuse box?

14. danster Forum Addict

It is a big job to change a CE1 too a CE2 wiring loom. The entire car loom needs replacing and also various components that the new loom plugs in to. EG ignition barrel, fuel tank sender / pump to name a couple.
    You would almost need a donor car to make it viable. Not impossible by any means, but a biggish task all the same.

15. afbiker02

thats alot of work just to put a tdi in my 84 gti

16. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Not that bad to be fair, but will require fully removing the interior, then cut/splice just at the specific components (fuel pump, etc). I`d rather do that, than try and cut/splice the entire diesel loom to suit the CE1 fusebox TBH...

And if you find some breaking a car you can get the full loom off them, so no need to get a full car. That`s what I did for the princely sum of 50. :thumbup:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  17. danster Forum Addict

Absolutely possible, I just wanted to make folk aware of the work involved. Totally agree with using the correct type loom too. Splicing in to a CE1 is rough. Keep it all std with the CE2 fusebox and loom and everything plugs straight in, making any future fault finding that much easier too.

18. afbiker02

It doesn't sound too hard, just daughting as I'm not the most skilled with eletrics.

19. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

splicing to ce1 is pretty easy as well, there actually isnt that many wire splices to make mainly just sensor wiring. ecu relay i fit above the fusebox unless i get an 'R' plug with the donor loom. i wire these up to use the factory pump relay so can use std fuel pump lines. just need to change the plug on mk2 pump loom for a mk3 one which isnt hard match colours and away you go.

I've also gone the CE1->2 route, to convert to CE2 you need:
    entire car loom
    headlight loom
    clocks
    ign switch
    stalks
    ignition lock and housing
    outer steering column tube
    fusebox hanger
    horn loom
    front indicators
    sidelight holders
    headlight switch possibly depending on age of your car

you can leave the tailgate loom in, it unplugs in the c pillar which is handy. you still need to do a little splicing for interior light + heated washer jet wires, as these are a bugger to remove. also dont forget if car has cl you need to find a mk2 loom with cl, otherwise you'll have to cut the cl loom out of your old interior loom and splice that in too. also if interior loom isnt from a gti you'll also have to add the fuel pump wiring, but can just chop one out of a mk3 then run it alongside the mk2 loom, then you'll have the mk3 plug on the end. (this is the beauty of CE2, its so modular)

mk3 interior loom isnt worth fitting as you'll have a bit of splicing to do to get it into the mk2, which defeats the whole point of going ce2 tbh

at the end of the day, splicing in the ce1 loom is way easier and is in no way worse than ce2 functionality wise. just depends on your level of wiring ocd. diagnosing future problems are no problem as long as you do the job properly in the first place, you just use pre-90 digi/16v or gtd diagrams depending on what part you are trying to diagnose. with the right diagrams its easy to check functionality of each pin on ce2 loom to where you need to look on ce1 (or just ask me :lol:)

i make ce1 conversion looms, pm me about it if you want. be interesting to make a tdi one as ive only done abf and vr6 looms so far :)

20. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

oh and doing this in a B3 passat is easy, just use b4 passat tdi loom + engine. pretty much the same in the engien bay i expect. even if not the fusebox is same mk3/passat b3 & b4 so wiring wise you wont have much issue