Gti cutting out

Discussion in '8-valve' started by yam yam, Nov 12, 2011.

1. yam yam New Member

hi there i wonder if anyone can help me find out whats wrong with my mk3 gti 8v.
    i've used the car daily for 2 months without a problem then last week whilst drivingalong it decided to drop rev's(gauge flicked up and down) nearly stalling the car,this has happened daily since, then yesterday it started fine but after driving 1/4 mile it just stopped and would not restart.
    Imanaged to bump start it but again it cut out and wouldn't restart. The garage did usual tests including plugging it in but no faults showed.
    Next we fitted a new VAG crank sensor and it started it ran for 1 hr went to drive it out the garage and it cut out and wouldn't restart.
    SO THAT'S WHY I NEED HELP PLEASE

2. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Welcome to the forum. I've moved this here from the hello section.

3. garnetteyes Forum Member

Sounds like the ECU relay needs replacing, number '30' is the right one for this it sits in position 3.

I think the part number is 165 906 381, also GSF stock them

4. yam yam New Member

cheers thanks for that i'll try that on monday.

5. garnetteyes Forum Member

Let us know how you get on

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

coils common fault on them, and the crank sensor could still be faulty even when new. i had a crqank sensor that did exactly the same thing, cut out when oil got to about 80degrees and no start till engine had cooled a bit

7. yam yam New Member

hi all change crank sensor and ecu relay and still have a problem any more ideas will be appreciated

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

Does it have a distributor, or is it on coil packs? Symptoms sound similar to a hall sender in the distributor breaking down.

When it cuts out, do you still have warning lights on the dash?

9. yam yam New Member

distributor mate,it as never held any warning lights and as still not any

10. Mike_H Forum Addict

When the car dies you should see the ignition lights on the dash, just the same as if you'd stalled it. If not, then maybe your ignition switch is failing.

11. yam yam New Member

hi there just a little update, now changed the following CRANK SENSOR,ECU RELAY,AIR FLOW SENSOR,OIL TEMP SENSOR,HT LEAD,COIL PACK AND EVERY OTHER SENSOR UNDER THE BONNET,
    AND GUESS WHAT-IT'S STILL NOT WORKING.WILL START BUT AS SOON AS YOU TRY TO PULL AWAY IT STALL'S AND WON'T RE-START.

12. rubjonny

coudl be fuel related then. as mike says do the dash warning lights come on when it stalls? if not then it could well be the ignition switch.

quick n dirty test, take the plug off the swich and bridge the red to the black. then bridge another wire from the red to the red/black to get the car started. leave the wire from red to black in place and see if it drives ok. if it does, you need an ignition switch.

has it had an alarm or immobiliser fitted, could be that playing up. also have you checked all the battery cables are ok, including the earths under the battery tray and the ones to the front of the block? check everywhere for dodgy lookign wires too

13. yam yam New Member

ok here we go just rried the distributor but no look....
    i've been told it could be the throttle body (internal electrical failure)so thats next

14. ripskin Forum Member

There is no electronics in the throttle body, just on top of it I think mate, RJ will confirm though:thumbup:

15. ripskin Forum Member

As Mike said, Ignition switches do wear out and can kill the engine at anytime!!

16. rubjonny

early 8v just has a TPS, later tb is fully electronic with a stepper motor in it :)

17. yam yam New Member

hi there when i tried to start the car yesterday i could smell fuel and when i took the air intake pipe off from the side of the throttle body there was fuel actually in the pipe,so that's what makes me think it could be throttle body.
    and there is electrical circuits built into the back of the body so i have been informed by europarts...

18. rubjonny

hmm thats not right, more likely the engien is flooding than anythign to do with the tb id say

19. yam yam New Member

Hi there thanks for all your help had auto technician out to car this morning to check wiring loom but no faults, so he plugged in the ECU only to be told that the timing was out.
    When we checked it had jumped 4 teeth so yet another thing to watch out for. Once again thankyou for all the support .

20. yam yam New Member

Hi there my advice to anyone would now be get a auto technician to read the ECU and he will tell you the problem source and that will save you 's