GVK’s mk5 GTI test drive...

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by GVK, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Rob.gti Forum Member

No DSG cars will be delivered until March as far as I know.

2. Rob.gti Forum Member

MK5 GTI would be new for 20000.

You would only get a "poverty" model A3 for 20000 (a 2.0 FSI Sport, just for reference the A3 2.0 FSI Turbo DSG is 22205 On the road!)

and the Scooby would have to be second hand and come with a Burberry Cap :p

3. Phil

Phil Forum Member

I liked it when I drove one, felt more like a Mk2 8V, in terms of power delivery.
    I wouldn't be spending 20k on one though. [8(]

4. Admin Guest

impreza's are for fat middle aged men, same with evos really. :lol:

some people will say i'll never buy a brand new car, but some one has to buy them in the first place so you can get your hands on them later at a much lower price.
    different people want different things.
    some would rather have a new 20k car and be comfy and others would pocket most of the change and buy a mk2.

5. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

I'm thinking of test driving one myself as there is a possibility I could get the Mk5 GTI as a lease car from work. I've never had anything newer than a Mk2 up to now but since I keep hearing good things about the Mk5 GTI I thought it'd be worth a test drive. :)

I went out in my mates latest car the other night, a Mk4 V6 4motion and have to say I was very impressed, can only imagine the R32 is awesome! What spec is the 4motion, 2.8 V6 - 200bhp ish?

Couldn't help but think my money would be better spent putting a bit more power in my Mk2 though than getting a newer car as I still love the Mk2 as an all-rounder. [:D]

6. Rob.gti Forum Member

204bhp. And the R32 is a true "sporty" car compared to the 4motion. The 4motion was built for cruising etc amd is way to soft in the handling dept.

7. Armour

Armour Forum Junkie

I'm going to sort out a test drive soon, see what i think compared to my mk4 1.8T, but if the the new Polo 1.8T does materialise i'll be up for one of them instead! [:D]

Alan

8. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Not driven my car for a few days as Claire has been over here,been driving the R32 about so my judgment of the mk5 was probably slightly clouded as I was comparing the R32's 3.2 re-mapped 6 cylinder lump (260+bhp / 250+lb/ft) to the mk5's 2 litre 16v 4 cylinder Turbo unit.

In the R32 the car is getting into it's stride at 90-100mph where the mk5 seemed to be lacking the pull at those speeds, as I said in my original post though, the mk5 GTI did have lovely mid range response.

One thing that was good about the mk5 compared to my 16v mk2, In the mk5 I came around a corner leading to an open straight road in 4th gear (40-50 mph ish), slow car in front, check for no oncoming traffic, boot down and overtook the car in front quickly/safely with no fuss at all.

As Claire has posted, the ride was firm but not harsh and after a couple of laps of a medium sized island I can say that the car turned in well with little roll. [:D]

9. iguana Forum Member

Evo rate it in this months (Feb) mag, good to see they pitched it up against the Cupra R which to me was what it has to beat- given the standard Mk4 GTi was IMHO cack in a Cupra R comparison.

The Seat did aquit its self well & was quicker on track but the GTi got top votes.

Just got to bag a test drive to see for myself, tho I'm after a play in a Monaro VXR first just for the hell of it ;)

10. mike.e Forum Member

errr....civic type r :clap:

11. Rob.gti Forum Member

He he - interesting choice when you concider the GTI has beaten it in every magazine test and even 5th Gear said you should buy a GTI over the Civic [:D]

12. Noddyrocket New Member

The Golf is more civilised than the Civic Type R, and the road noise in a CTR is horrible...

I think the Type R is more of a 'racing car' for the road, but the new
    GTI's power delivery and cornering (no understeer!) convinced me!

13. iguana Forum Member

Hmm ok civ a revvy buzz box in comprarion, but Civic list price 16k, & sure the grey importers could shave a grand off it for you, vs GTi at 20k no deals or 22k with DSG! that a lot of difference!

Also Clio cup 182s are at deal price 13k! making the DSG GTI 9k more!!

What are Leon Cupra Rs gunna be now the GTi is on the scene? 18k list- greys & deals at 16-17k?

All the reports of the GTi do seem to sing its praises highly, but its a heck of a lot of wedge over the oposition, if it were my own money I wouldnt do it, Clio & 9k for somat RWD & fun thanks or for even a few k over the GTi a Monaro or 350z please. If company money & a 20k cut off, then yip think it would be the Golf.

14. Rob.gti Forum Member

The Clio is not a direct competitor.

The BMW 1 Series, Renault Meganesport 225 and New Astra GSI are the Golfs competition. So that is where the comparisions should be made.

the BMW is hugely over priced and they havent even got a "sport" model yet, and the Renualt is 19500. Now in that area the Golf is "sensational" as Mr Clarkson did say ;)

BTW - The Leon Cupra R 225 is based on the MK4 so again is not a direct comparison. plus the New Leon model will be out later this year and its..... bloody horrible!!! [:s] [xx(]

15. GVK

lol- same old same old Rob! :p

Switch the clock back a couple of years and this sounds just like when you were 'defending' the mk4 diesel :clap:

So predictable :thumbup:

16. Rob.gti Forum Member

"Defending"????

No need to defend mate. I loved the TDI and I love the MK5 Golf GTI. Shame some people have to trash it, just to be different.

R32 drivers/borrowers are bound to be Bias. :lol:

And the comments above are there to merely place the right emphassis on which Group of cars the Golf falls into. No point in comparing a MINI Cooper S, a Clio and a Fiesta RS to the Golf, cause they aint in the same arena.

17. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Robin 'Auto Express' Turner

:lol:

18. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

But what about if they give an opinion after driving one... thats opinion, not 'being different'

Must be hard driving the car everyone wants ;)

19. GVK

I don't quite understand what you mean Rob, are you saying that just because I wasn't 100% impressed with the mk5 GTI i'm just being different???? [:s] :lol:

20. iguana Forum Member

Yeh but all of those are absolute cack ;)