GVK’s mk5 GTI test drive...

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by GVK, Jan 3, 2005.

1. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I suppose they were the cars drawn with just the outline on the sidebar in AutoExpress's group test of the mk5 GTI? :lol:

2. GVK

3. Rob.gti Forum Member

LMFAO.....NOT [:[] [:|]

4. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

What are the criteria for a 'direct competitor'?

Personally i think the Clio Sport 182 is.

They are both hatch-backs that are meant to be sporty.

The 182 is a hell of a lot cheaper, and probably faster and more fun.

Personally though, if i had 20k to spend on a car it would be on a 2nd hand Porsche 911. It's a far higher class car and doesn't loose 17.5% of it's value as soon as you put your keys in it for the first time :thumbup:
    Edited by: Tubthumped

5. GVK

[:s]Focus ST = medium sized hatchback, 20,000 estimated cost, turbo charged engine... If that's not a competitor, I'll grow a fringe.
    Edited by: G_V_K

6. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

I would consider the Focus ST and new Astra VXR to be direct Golf GTI competitors.

7. Kingsley Forum Member

as i said in my thread on todays drive in the gti it isnt all things to all men/women, its a good car but it didnt live upto my expectations..... against the mk4 gti its leagues above but against the handling and performance of both the type r the 225 megane its no better than either, maybe in terms of refinement and noise etc but the gti was meant as a drivers car (the peoples porsche) and it still falls short in my eyes.

8. Rob.gti Forum Member

What do you drive now? It must be something real special if the GTI didnt live up to your expectaions ;)

9. Rob.gti Forum Member

So do I, but I couldnt be arsed to answer.

The BMW 1 Series is also in that sector.

Clio is in the Small car sector againts the Fiesta and the Saxo/C3, Polo, Ibiza etc

10. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

I would say the Clio 182 is a Hot Hatch.

EVERYONE is saying the Mk5 Golf is in the spirit of the Mk1 - A HOT HATCH.

So, irrelevent of phsical size they are both 'hot hatches'.... but 1 is hotter than the other.

11. Kingsley Forum Member

ive got just the mk2 a g60 rado and a lexus now rob, however ive owned countless cars ranging from evo 6's to e36 m3's rangerover etc.... the golf was nice but it didnt leave an impression on me like the first time i drove a gti...
    Rob each to there own.

12. Mikedav Forum Member

I drove a MKV at the weekend and I was really quite impressed. I don't like hatchbacks or the 1.8T so I thought I would hate it...but the new GTI was genuinely fun, definetly more of a drivers car through the twisty bits than the MKIV - it was more settled, sharper turn in, and eggs you on rather than complains like the old car. The engine was no VR but at least gives a slightly sporty note - I enjoyed thrashing it once I got used to the turbo, whereas for me the 1.8T was just boring. It did feel like a GTI when passing traffic, that feeling that I was driving something nice. But that might be because its so new and everyone has a look when you have 'Breeze VW' instead of numberplates!

The interior was much better than I thought and the wheels look sporty but it doesn't shout GTI like I expected. I like it, but that red trim on the grille doesn't work IMO. The seats in the car I drove were brilliant, you won't need Recaros in this one.

IMO its a much better car than the old one and deserves the badge this time round; I don't think its worth 20k plus options, but then thats what a car like that costs these days. Its only real rival is the A3 and you don't get a sporty variant for that money (BMW doesn't count, its ridiculously expensive, pig ulgy and they don't do a sporty spec).

It will sell like hot cakes as to Joe Public is a damn desirable car. Would I buy one? No. Did I like it? Oh yes.

13. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

I looked at one yesterday - Nice and subtle and the alloys don't look too nickable (my new criteria after the problems I've had with mine!).
    Just need to drive one and see what I think.
    Can't see it feeling "better" than the R but at least it's a lot lighter.