Halfords 150 peice tool kit 99

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by altern8, Dec 21, 2004.

1. altern8 Forum Junkie

Link

duno if anyone has seen that but you get the 150 peice tool kit for 99 bargin 50 off rrp and life time garentee :)

2. Jetta Forum Junkie

I bought one last year, was half price if IIRC, I've took a few damged bits back, got em swapped strieght away, though the Imperial and E sockets are useless (well to me any way, so I leave them out as they fall out of the holders when you carry it and make it weigh less too.

3. destructiv dave Forum Member

:thumbup: Good piece of kit, has ratchet spanners, only bad point is that half the sockets are imperial.

4. Andy947 Forum Addict

Imperial sockets have their uses on older cars where corrosion has set in and metric can be ever so slightly too big

5. Seraph Banned

wouldn't buy tools from halfords, not unless you want cr@p ones
    Buy snapon or britool, if you want tools for life.

6. altern8 Forum Junkie

they have a life time garentee :lol:

7. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

Not everyone can justify (or wants) to spend fecking stupid money just so it says snap-on. For virtually all DIY'ers the Halfords stuff is fine. If you do happen to break something, there's the added benefit that you can just pop down and get a replacement straight away, instead of having to wait for the snap-on man to turn up, especially if you're working on the car during the weekend.

Rumour has it that the Halfords stuff is made by Britool or Facom anyway...

8. stimpy

stimpy Forum Member

I've got these too - used them a lot already and no complaints about the quality! For torque wrenches or whatever I might be tempted to go for a "big name" brand, but it's a just socket set, not exactly much to go wrong, and it's very well made... [:D]

9. GRINGOG60 Forum Member

The ratchets are fecking strong ive got two of them.

And my Britool Ratchet is fecked!

Go and get your coat Seraph! :lol:

10. GolfMk3 Forum Member

Halfords tools are pretty good, definitly good enough more most DIY jobs on your car etc.. and a really good price, which would leave more money to spend on puttin the good bits on.

I've had no problems with them, but then i dont use them much :lol:

11. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

i am pretty sure halfords don't make the tools out the back.....

there *might just be* a well known manufacturer making the tools for them..

and a lifetime guarantee suits me!

that tool kit is a bargain if you have very few tools and need to build up a set.

As andy says Imperial sockets *are* useful - not only because you can grip a rounded metric nut by hammering on an imperial socket - but also in the event that any of you get a *proper* car you will have the right sockets to work on it.

12. Joe16v Forum Member

Demon tweaks had some good offers on tool chests and tools. Might still be doing it.

13. jimmy oldskool Forum Member

Please define 'proper car' :o

I thought Golfs were all metric? [:s]

14. NicD Forum Member

15. Seraph Banned

isn't the point of forums to express opinions?
    Im simply saying in my practiced opinion, i wouldn't spend a lot of money on their tools. Im not saying, they're the worst either.But i bet if you take back a knackered wrench, the small print will say you can only do it x amount of times.
    I don't doubt that a big name makes their tools, but like anything, you pays ur money and takes ur choice.
    And someitmes, a little more paid gives a better product. Halfords is convienient, and if i really really needed someting, id go there. But it would be a means to an end only!If you only use tools once in a while, you may just be beta off with these.

p.s. gringog60 gona stay a bit longer ta ;)

16. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

The Taskmaster stuff I've got through motor factors is identical
    I wouldn't knock them too much, out of all to tools i've seen only Snap-on seem to last years of heavy abuse, compared to some of the cheaper stuff (from a Mech point of view)
    I'll be restocking my box after the new year, I hope!

17. pettsy Forum Member

did you need the receipt? as i think i've lost mine [:x]

18. hayesey Forum Junkie

I thought Halfords tools were made by Sykes-Pickavent but & mate of mine says they're made by Sealey. either way (or even if it's someone else) they're good stuff.

If you are a professional mechanic using them all day everyday then then it's probably worth spending the 4x or more extra on Snap-On but for "hobbyists" (which I suppose is the best way to describe my own situation other than obsessed) they're great. I've hit mine with hammers & used 4 foot long pieces of big scaffolding as an extension on my 3/8 drive halfords ratchets & they still work just as well as when I bought them about 2 years ago.
    Edited by: hayesey

19. Jetta Forum Junkie

Nope, which is a good thing as I always loose the recipt, just take it in and if they'e got it they'll swap it therte and then, last time I went in for another 4mm allen socket they didnt have one on the shelf so they just took one out of another 150 pc set

20. GolfBryan Forum Member

I bought one that looks very similar to that, 235pc and everything but has differant branding. Auto Express gave it their best buy award im sure!