Halfords Professional 150pc Socket Set-half price

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by stu h, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

the only thing im not keen on is that they all seem to be 12 sided sockets

2. the idiot abroad Forum Member

The 1/4 drive sockets are 6 sided and the 1 /2 drive long sockets 10, 12, 13, 14, 17 and 19 mm are 6 sided plus 17,19, 21 and 23 mm 1/2 impact sockets.

3. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

Managed to snap 2 8mm hex key sockets from this set, and twist a T50 spline one about 30 degrees too. The boys in Halfords near me swapped them straight away though even when I went back the second time.

Never got the bleeding carrier bolts out though[:x]

4. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I might ask for one for my 30th.

Could you buy it off the website via paypal? I've got cash sat in there doing nothing.

5. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

These are back on sale

Are they worth the 100? Or is there better value kits?

I need some Torx bits but could be a good investment on the whole. Or just buy as and when bits are needed?

6. craggsy Forum Member

I just buy as and when needed, I know i'll spend more in long run, but at least i know im buying good stuff

7. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I got a set for christmas but havr only used it to swap a battery so far. The no quibble lifetime quarantee makes it the best set for me.

8. Admin Guest

good so far and i've had mine nearly three years,

just don't let your brother use it out in the rain :(

makes some of the bits go a little orange...

9. altern8 Forum Junkie

never had any problems in 5 years of abuse

10. Steve B Forum Junkie

pwoiks the case is covered under the life time warentee, go get yourself a new one for free!!!

i got one for christmas, really pleased, only used it to swap a battery so far tho, far too cold lol

the thing i do find annoying about the set it most of the sockets are 3/8 and there are no step up or down. i prefer to use a 1/2inc sockets down to at least 13mm but i do have another socket set for that and ive bought some step up and down adapers so should be ok

11. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Just bought one of these. Mostly because i sold my entire tool collection back in 2009 when i swore i wouldnt own another old car for the last time. Then in 2010, when i bought the Mk2 that Nick now owns, i was buggered. It was quickly sold on to him when i realised i had absolutely no tools and space to complete the work required. Now I have a big double garage to work on the car with power and light.

So now, on to my new track car and i decided to treat myself to the 150 piece kit. Which is actually cheaper than the 120 piece kit at the moment.

Also bought the flexible head ratchet spanners for 40. Find them so useful, especially with the adapters when you cant fit a ratchet handle in to a tight space. The 150 piece kit does include some fixed ratchet spanners too.

Still a long list of tools i need to build my set back up. I had something for everything back in the day. :(

12. lard44 Forum Member

I've had 2 sets in 5 years (my first ones got nicked - bstards) - only once had a ratchet break, Halfords replaced without question. All good.

13. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

These are back on offer again, think I'll pick one up this time!!!

14. chrisbex123 Forum Member

The warranty is pretty good, i recently used my 3/8" ratchet coupled with a 5 ft scaffold bar tio undo my wheelnut on the T4, managed to shear the ratchet coupling completely off, they replaced it without any gripes.
    I was in a bit of a situation and didnt have 1/2" lol.[:D]

15. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

I could do with a set atm. The cheap ones i bought have only lasted a year!!

Might have a look in Halfords today :thumbup:

16. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

I bought mine just now for 97.50 with the trade card. Will be using them later.

17. G2T

G2T Forum Member

Thinking about one of these for trackday tooling, got all their drawer sets in the cab, so it's a pain travelling with tools. I spotted in a tool catalogue the other day the oe manufacturer if these sets, the ratchets were clearly recognisable, but now I can't for the life of me remember the name.

18. sweedish Forum Member

well worth it this kit, had mine for about 12yrs, and its still going strong, broke a couple of bits, but they replace them!

19. Genome

Genome Forum Member

Got mine today as an early xmas present, my set had two of the smaller ratchets in and not the middle sized one!

What a swizz!

20. Jagermeister

Jagermeister Forum Member

Just got 150 piece set of these today for the 99.99 in store -they are not listed on the web site
    The mad thing is the 120 piece set is 120