Halfords tool chests - a good budget buy?

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by jmsheahan, Dec 6, 2011.

1. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Have been eying up tool chests to try and tidy up my collection of tools currently situated in random areas of the house and shed. Having just got access to a single garage I'm aiming to move it all in to one easily accessible workspace. Not really after anything particularly heavy duty as it's sole purpose will only be to serve weekend spannering duties but not be false economy.

Anyhow I spotted this earlier for 60 - half price from what it was. It's not from the 'professional' range but a friend has a trade card which should serve as a healthy discount on top.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_743669_langId_-1_categoryId_255214

[​IMG]

Question is, putting the budget aside for a mo, will it fall apart in 5 mins or will it be up to the job? The drawers are the main area of concern - I don't particularly want to be fixing it more often than the car :lol:

Any experiences with Halfords boxes or other recommendations?

Thanks

2. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

I poked around one this time last year when they where that price, saying they are total rubbish would be being nice. I was just on the halfrauds website and Im getting tempted by the 2 for 199 offer on professional tool chests but its a good chunk of money when the floor holds my tools fine.

3. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

That good eh :lol:

This is it. Spending 100+ is a lot when it could be spent on the car although I'm sick of trying to find spanners/sockets etc rummaging through various containers.

Out of interest what was so bad about them? General build quality or a specific feature? A 3 drawer 'professional' box is the other option for around 40 but the lazyness of the wheels and extra storage of the above appeals.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  4. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Dont get the basic range. Its really bad quality like its made out of tin. Also no drawer runners so it feels cheap.
    I have a bottom and top version from the professional range and for the money i think its really good. The top one was free if you bought the bottom one so dont get them without a deal.
    So handy to roll it next to the car to put the tools in!

I have the "industrial" range in my garage at home. Its empty at the moment but will be full when i can get to it to make use!
    That is a very good quality one. Full ball race runners with nice locking handles.
    I only got this as it was really cheap with a few bits missing in the sales a few years ago.

Edit, Sorry. So to sum it up, Go for the mid one. "Professional" range.

5. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Think twice about the machine mart 'pro' range. I paid 350 for the lower half, and its not worth half that. wish i'd bought an ebay 5 year old snap one

6. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

I just remember thinking it was a load of rubbish and could see the draws sticking when full of tools, pro stuff was really nice and just in a completely different league. I keep looking out on ebay for a local bargain but good ones seem to sell for big money.

7. lard44 Forum Member

I have two of them...cheap and tinny but they are lockable and I don't abuse them so no complaints. You get what you pay for and all that...

8. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Thanks the feedback chaps, I thought it might be the case that it's a bit sh*t.

As 2dubnick says, the 2 for 199 deal at the moment is very tempting but I can't justify the price as I need to get an engine crane too which will be at least 150.

This looks the next best for my needs but will have to see how much discount the trade card will get. Knock up some form of workbench to put it on.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_206543_langId_-1_categoryId_255214

9. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I have the 4 drawer chest with the last draw being deeper. Ive had it a couple of years but cant remember how much I paid for it. I have no complaints, its the pro one with ball bearing sliders not the cheaper versions with normal runners which didnt seem as sturdy and felt like the runners would bend or wear more easily. I would recommend it unless you find a used chest of better quality on ebay.

10. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Thanks for all the feedback. Went and had a look tonight, jeeeesus you were right about the original one posted, what a heap of sh*t!

Went for this in the end. 7 drawers and with my mates trade card 79.99 - original price 179.99. Complete with liners as well. Quite happy with that :)

11. Mike_H Forum Addict

Maybe too late now... but I bought a LIDL one for about 6 quid. It's got bearings in the drawer runners and isn't bad, although far too small for all my tools. Whenever something good comes up 2nd hand at a decent price I go and buy it.

12. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

I has a RAC one that was like the halfords one... it was OK but thats all, the draws fell out after a few days, and it wasn't that big.. if its just for keeping a few tools and the odd bit of use it will be OK, but for anything more its hopeless.

I have now got the 2 for 199 deal, a very very good investment! I would seriously think hard about spending the extra and getting good kit to start with, especially if you maybe getting more tools as you soon run out of room

13. Chrisrpal Events Team

I made a rack in my garage so all my tools are hung on the wall and labelled. Maybe worth a thought? Cost me pennies to make with nails holding up my screw drivers and spanners etc. The MDF wood cost next to nothing and just drilled in to the walls.

14. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

15. Mike_H Forum Addict

^^ If you can find something like that in an industrial clearout then it'll be bargainous!

However, the little bins are good for small tools / work gloves / tape / threadlock / nuts / bolts / clips... etc.

Aldi and LIDL occasionally do them for 15 ish a set.

16. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

^that's what I'm hoping for, just came down to a closing down fittings shop to ask but they've already closed up. Still need something mobile for trackdays and out of garage jobs but quite tempted by the halfords pro tool kit as its all in a nice case and it gives even more tools.

17. m1keh Forum Member

Even cheaper with a free piece of MDF from ikeas scrap wood bin.

18. Danallkins

Danallkins Forum Member

I have this one and have no problems. Not the best I've used but it does the job for me

19. katenflats New Member

I got this one just before xmas was the display one and got it for 40quid filled it up and not had any problems yet!!!!!!!

20. Mike_H Forum Addict

I notice that some of the professional range is on special in Halfords just now. Looks like good discounts on the ticket, but I'm not sure what they were 'actually' sold for before.