Have the DVLA made a(nother) cock-up?

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by Zender Z20, Feb 27, 2023.

1. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Mooching about Google aimlessly clicking on images of MK1's... turns out this one's about to be auctioned on-line -

https://www.carandclassic.com/auctions/1983-volkswagen-golf-gti-campaign-nvYAQg

If you can be bothered scrolling through all the images you'll maybe see most of the paperwork shown for it has the registration CKK11 and that it appears to have been on it from new.

Guessing the seller wanted to keep it and had an age appropriate number reallocated by the DVLA, trouble is it should have been given a prefix 'A' reg (1983) and not a suffix 'A' reg (1963).

Looks odd to my eye, but then again they've maybe fallen on there feet without realising, surely numbers that old must be worth a few quid?

[​IMG]

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Looks very odd

3. Zender Z20

There's just something that doesn't sit right with me about this particular car.

I'm loath to commenting as I'm the first to roll my eyes when people start getting the boot in on forums, picking holes and putting down cars for petty reasons.

Have to stress that's not what I'm about here and hope the thread stays on track, not descending into a nit-picking fest!

What I do get a little pee'd off about is how auction sites and professional sellers / dealers write up advertisements these days.

Yes, put forward the good but some of the drivel and claims made border on deceitful.

They must've been getting pulled up about it, notice a distinct trend lately in using expressions like 'the vendor states...' etc., thinking they're washing their hands of responsibilty.

Surely there must still be some form of legal due diligence on them to confirm as best as possible any claims made are truthful?

Back to this car... they're making a big deal about it being a 'campaign' run out model, emphasising it's desirability (or you could read that as them implying increased value).

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is a regular GTI that's had the 'Campaign' bits added and have a few thoughts on chassis numbers etc., but that's getting too deep at the moment.

The obvious issues are -

P-Slots appear to be MK2 items, over and above the MK2 center caps the 'P's are too far apart.

Petrol cap doesn't have the key flap.

Twin light grille has spots and not fogs... one of the last images shows it's likely an aftermarket one and would that be the cars original single light grille with it?

Steering wheel is a MK2 one.

These are after all some of the main things that makes a 'campaign just that.

The letter they make reference to, it's dated 1981 and not 1983.

I don't think that means the car advertised isn't from 1983, I'm inclined to think that particular piece of paperwork is from a previous car the advertised one is possibly replacing - there's a 1981 silver GTI reg. KCW 226W referred to elsewhere in the documentation that has had the reg CKK 11 on it.

I think someone's going to be paying top dollar for something that's not exactly what it claims to be, it's still a worthy car but I'd contend not being advertised correctly.

4. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

Not necessarily, it may be locked to the car. A car I own has an odd registration attached, after a vanity plate put on when new was taken off. The V5 for what it has now states 'not transferable'. I take it another number could be put on, but the existing one goes nowhere else.

As to its status as a Campaign (or not), would the data labels say so?

Zender Z20 likes this.
  5. Zender Z20

Interesting, have seen that on some V5's but never really gave it any thought.

Yes, I'd imagine the data sticker would help answer some questions... it should have codes for what has now become known as the 'Campaign', 707 I think?

6. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

I stop reading adverts like that about 4 lines in as I just picture Mike brewer or quentin willson hovering in the background waiting for someone to write a big cheque.

As for the campaign "discrepancies" it's to be hoped anyone thinking of handing over the paper will carry out thier own due diligence first so unlikely anyone is going to be fleeced as one would hope it would go to an enthusiast with some grasp of what makes a proper campaign.

7. Guy Rusling New Member

Afternoon all!

Im the lucky new owner of the above campaign. Just wanted to clear a few things up after doing some Due Diligence.

It was a funny advert I would happily admit, but worth the bid as you can always kick it to the curb once inspected.

After driving to Cheshire I started reading through the comprehensive folder of paperwork. The first 4 or 5 pages were made up of previous Mk1 Golfs the gentleman had previously owned.

Turns out the vehicle registration mentioned above KCW 226W was another 1981 Silver Mk1 Golf he had owned and bought from Duncan Hamiltons of Surrey.

The SILVER Mk1 GOLF GTI Special Edition Campaign I hoped to be correct and that I was bidding on was in fact a LEGIT 1983 Mk 1 Golf Campaign.

The Registration CKK 11 was registered on the vehicle from new by Ian Skelly VW Liverpool. So it never Received had an "A Prefix REG". As MR K.K.CHAN wanted his private plate on from new.

Sadly MR CHAN passed last year and the logbook went in to his Sons Name so sadly there was a second owner on it but at least it was within the same family.

The CKK 11 registration was removed as the registration was passed on to his Nephew who has similar initials. This registration can now be found for sale on regtransfers for £14,995.............. a real shame. I would like to reunite the car with the plate but unfortunately its out of the budget.

Once CKK 11 was removed from the Golf the DVLA issued a new registration of XMW 559A.

Which I like others have commented thought was strange as to me its a sufficient 1963 plate.

After a quick conversation with the DVLA it seems that it was indeed a cock up at they're end. Getting the SUFFIX A (1963) and PREFIX A (1983) mixed up. The DVLA employee suggested I send the V5 off with a cover letter to the DVLA explaining the conversation I had and all being well they will hopefully correct this with a new proper age related Prefix A registration. I sent it off last week so hopefully in a few weeks I should hear back from them. As it would be nice to get the car on the correct ERA of numberplate.

It has all the factory fitted extras and the factory options sticker in the boot.

L97A - DIAMOND METALLIC SILVER
    B79 Special model: VW Golf GTI Campaign
    707/715 Black bumpers, black wheel house broadenings and black exterior mirror housings
    750 Pirelli wheel package
    560 Steel sunroof (manual)
    568 Green tinted glass
    738 Production run end-of-line, 4,200 units
    430 Laminated front windscreen

It has all the correct A pillar trim, factory sunroof, arches spoiler etc etc

It has the right door lock button the slimmer ones with dimples

It has the crucial EW in the chassis number.

The Original spring loaded fuel cap was luckily in the boot unfortunately the lock is all messed up hence the cheap one on it now. The son didn't seem to know the back story behind that one. I've taken it down to Harolds lock smiths in Sheffield and they are going to repair the old one and get it working again.

The spot lights in the grille are a more modern HELLA light which are quite sweet but will be looking for some original Fogs.

The P slot wheels aren't right they are the MK2 versions which are cheaper and more readily available I did however receive with the car 2 spare alloys that were all scratched up and one has a small ding in which are the MK1 7mm versions so ill be on the look out for 2 more. Apparently the previous owner had a little collision with a curb or 2 back in the day and it was easier to get a set of the MK2 wheels.

Regards to the incorrect steering wheel I can only think that got changed for a cleaner VW Type steering wheel that hadn't been used for 88,000 miles.

The whole car is generally very tidy and runs like a little sewing machine. It had a £3,500 mini overhaul back in 2009 which included welding on the sills and new arches along with some paint etc. Like most old VW's its been Modified and Maintained over its life.

Its 89% there but still allows me some fun and pleasure to get it back up to scratch.

Anyway as you might of guessed after my thorough checks upon collection I loaded it on to the trailer and bought it back home to Sheffield.

Thanks Everyone and Happy Motoring.

8. Zender Z20

Health to enjoy it, and it does look to be a very nice, solid car.

Hope you'll stick up more posts as you go along, not enough MK1 content on here for my liking!

Thanks too for shedding some light on the auction background, does answer alot of the thoughts I was having and that we weren't far off the mark.

Just to reinforce what I was trying to emphasize above, and that is that I'm not interested in picking holes in this or any other car.

The reasons why someone buys or pays what they do is entirely up to them and entirely legitmate.

The thrust of the post was about the anomalies in the auctioneers description specially since they were going to such pains to highlight it's Campaign credentials.

I'm genuinely pleased it is infact a 'proper' one, and you haven't been mislead in that regard, though I'm not so sure I be as relaxed about the substituted parts as they are effectively what makes a Campaign, a Campaign at the end of the day, but fair play to your karma.

Does highlight the need never to take what's written about a car at face value, even it's being offered through a prominent seller.

Thanks again for the update, appreciated.

9. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Well I must say this has been a great thread to read. As always ZenderZ20 attention to detail is fantastic and the fact that we have had a comprehensive reply by the new owner makes this thread all the better.
    And the fact that I live at Aston in Sheffield, I can only hope to see this car one day. Once upon a time I owned a diamond silver mk1 early GTi UKM 969X and loved it..... it was a nail
    Enjoy the new car. And if you ever want to see a mk2 in the rebuild it or a Corrado VR6 princess blocked in, in the garage.
    What made you want a Mk1?

10. Guy Rusling New Member

Evening,

Didnt think I’d get a reply so quickly. That’s Ace!

No offence taken whatsoever.
    Really enjoyed reading the above thread, find things like this very interesting.

Just to make things clear I will be resurrecting the wrong parts.

I’m on with getting a proper A Reg prefix Reg.

The original filler caps been fixed and now working on the key again.

I’ve got x2 7mm Mk1 p slots from the car pre Mk2 wheel change. I think I’ve just bought another rough one from eBay. So once I’ve found another to make 4 I’ll have them re done and sell on the Mk2 wheels.

I think I’ve just found the correct steering wheel

might leave the Hella spots but might change to originals.

it’s booked in at VC classics in Doncaster who are doing my 59 Oval at the minute. They are going to polish the car and touch up the stone chips, numberplate bracket etc etc. They are going rustproof and stone chip the underside.

Then once I’ve dropped the new Pslots on it I think it will be pretty much there

I’m the otherside of Sheffield Crosspool way. Always wanted a Mk1 and especially the campaign.

Had a Caddy pick-up, had a Vw Iltis had a couple of Vw busses.

still got an Oval beetle and a RHD VW Trekker.

just love VW and Mk1 was next

11. Zender Z20

You should squeeze them to see if they've an 'A --- CCK' held back for re-issue you could have?

If not, have a look and see if the DVLA have something like A11 CKK is still available for purchase?

You'll turn up all the bits you want sooner or later, original raised letter 'Pirelli' caps can be a tad expensive but not overly scarce... someones remanufacturing them in both plastic or aluminium from recollection, not cheap either but a possible other avenue.

Did I sell you a pair of Kamei speaker pods / door bins a long way back on eBay?

Your car history sounds very like that guys.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2023
  12. Guy Rusling New Member

Afternoon all finally got the V5 back with its new PRE-FIX Age related plate.

After speaking with them they accepted it was just a clerical error from there side when CKK 11 was removed last year and replaced with the wrong Suffix A reg.

So the new registration for this vehicle is A175FVO.

Fuel cap has been re key'd and is on the vehicle i found a 4th 7/8mm gap pirelli alloy and they are being restored as we speak.

Steering wheel is next.......

Going to keep the HELLA spots as i quite like them and they work well.

Getting there slowly.

AKAeddypeck and Zender Z20 like this.
  13. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Great work, thanks for keeping us informed. I never expected the DVLA to change anything, so that is good news

14. Zender Z20

Great result, new number'll look perfect and now you've a story to tell that's behind it.

Yeah, not sure what the thinking was when they specced fogs instead of spots, maybe a continental Europe thing that got carried over to the UK... a better full beam would've be much more practical here, but just guessing.

You've likely already swotted up on what a genuine Campaign steering wheel is, but if not do... there's a similar leather rimmed one that I think may have been on some Cabriolets that can cause some confusion.

15. Guy Rusling New Member

Thanks Guys. Well chuffed.

found this on eBay. EBay number above.

Needs a re trim. Does this look ok ? Anyone know where to buy a re trim kit from ?

16. Zender Z20

Does appear to be, has the smooth rim with profiled ridge on each spoke to allow the leather to sit flush.

The Cabrio version I think has the leather continuing up the spokes instead.

The center piece isn't correct, should have 'GTI' in place of the VW roundal. Probably as with everything else these days, they likely go for big bucks on their own, need factoring in.

Haven't been keeping an eye on prices, so may be way behind the times when I say £200 seems a bit steep for one needing a retrim that could potentially add substantially to the total price.

17. saladman

saladman Paid Member Paid Member

I've never bought a car on c+c but have the feeling that it would be better than buying from eBay - but is this the case?

Looks like you didn't get a lemon and it won't take much to sort it out - I've spent a couple of grand on sight unseen eBay cars but don't have the cahoons to drop 20k on an auction car!

DVLA rules are weird - for example you can't buy a reg to make your car look newer but you can to make it look older. With a lot of classics older models command a higher price.

Good luck with the improvements - nice to see cars looked after and steered back toward OEM or OEM+ spec :)

If you're getting new plates I recently got some dealer plate-style plates from here - https://proplates.co.uk/
    I had to make artwork and specify the correct font but they sent artwork proofs to check before they make the plates and was easier then I expected. Would recommend!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2023
  18. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

What a great read this has been. And this is what CLUBGTI used to always be about. :thumbup:

Stunning MK1 though Guy, and it seems you know exactly what you are looking for when it comes to original Campaign's [8D]

saladman likes this.
  19. Zender Z20

Said elsewhere that the DVLA and me have a troubled past, so haven't much regard for them as an agency.

However in the case of not being able to put a newer GB plate on an older car it's to prevent fraud through passing it off as being younger than it really is... it's part of the reason why N. Irish plates are popular as they're not defined by year and can be put on any age of vehicle.

saladman likes this.
  20. Guy Rusling New Member

Thanks everyone appreciate it. I know a few things about them but not everything. Still learning haha!

wheels are back now and ready for new rubber....... Anyone got any good ideas for brand and size ?

Ive read lots of threads on them but cant make my mind up. Would obviously like to stick with the Pirelli theme if possible.

thanks all.