Have the DVLA made a(nother) cock-up?

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by Zender Z20, Feb 27, 2023.

1. Guy Rusling New Member

Turns out the pirelli Cinturo are now discontinued so there aren’t any small pirelli tyres available. Anyone else got any recommendations or can I throw any old tyre brand on them ? 185/60/R14

2. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

I'd probably have gone for Pirelli's too, surprised they've none in that size... lots of different factors to consider not least safety, but it being a MK1 Campaign / Pirelli edition in this particular case that in itself would carry more weight for me when deciding than it would with another car.

Everyone's got different budgets so it'd be unfair to direct you to the expensive brands, good rule of thumb is to get the best you can afford.

Having said that though nowadays I think it would be hard to get a 'bad' tyre with the premium brands, just degrees of 'good'. Maybe not so much with some of the obscure ones.

Look at some of the Auto Express or Auto Bild reviews / comparison tests, objective and cover like for like in different conditions.

No point taking what some punter writes on Blackcircles as gospel, after all everyones new tyres are going to be a great drive when they've just replaced worn out ones!

Personally I've Continentals on the MK2 and Michelins on the 205, my daily runs Goodyears and all our winters are a mix of Dunlops or Bridgestones... can't fault any of them!

3. saladman

saladman Paid Member Paid Member

4. Guy Rusling New Member

Quick Update.

Still on the Hunt for the correct steering wheel which is the last part of the puzzle.

Finally after months i’ve found 5x pirelli cinturo P1’s.

They’ve just been delivered and the tyre man’s coming next week to fit them on the Mk1 7mm P slots.

Believe it or not I managed to get them from ASDA Tyres £380 for 5 tyres delivered so was pretty happy.

Zender Z20 and Cressa like this.
  5. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Great perseverance getting the tyres you were after, hard to believe you'll have the car a year come February.

It'll presumably already be MOT exempt and then also road tax free as of April 1st.

6. Guy Rusling New Member

I know! Crazy. Yes i only did 6 moths Tax last year as 12months is a kick in the teeth especially when it will only get used 2/3 nice weathered Sundays.

Will keep up with The MOT’s for piece of mind