Heating ... again!

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by PhilRyder, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

2. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

"massage my hose" - Finbar Saunders would have a field day with that one :lol::lol:

dodgy likes this.
  3. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

< snigger >

4. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

OK. New thermostat installed this morning. I checked the inside of the housing for any deterioration and there didn't seem to be any. A bit of Hylomar Blue on the seal, screwed up tight and coolant topped up.
    Test drive - a definite improvement :clap:. The gauge rose to just over the first quarter mark within a mile and a half and pretty much stayed there. Parked up and let it run for a few minutes and the gauge rose a touch more. It's difficult to be sure of how much improvement there is as the air temp is 8 degrees higher than when last tested. Another test at the weekend when it is supposed to be cold again will help.
    I noticed that when stationary the air coming out of the vents cooled considerably but got hot again when I revved the engine. I suppose this may be that there is some more coolant needed. I'll check this when it cools down. Could it be that the water pump is weak or is this normal? I seem to have read elsewhere on here that people have the same issue?

5. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Sounds like you’ve got air in the system still, as when you speed up the water pump it gives you a rush of hot water.

Give it a proper bleed now the thermostat is working properly.

PhilRyder likes this.
  6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah bits of rubber or corrosion, are the chunks rubbery or metally :lol:

a good flush out will help, with the radiator might be an idea to remove it entirely then you can give it a good shake about while flushing, or just replace it if it looks crusty

7. rubjonny

if coolant level is low first to go is the heating so check the levels as you say, also if its had a new matrixc you can bin off the bypass valves if they're still there. make sure the thermostat stays shut as well, feel bottom hose it should stay stone cold till temps come up to around 90 degrees. 90 is around 1/2 on the gauge, but yours may just be under-reading a bit

8. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Did you fill the matrix before you connected the hoses?
    I had one airlock after fitting it dry.

PhilRyder likes this.
  9. PhilRyder

I didn't but I am getting plenty of warm air now while on the move. Coolant was a bit low, topped it up. Going to check again today before I drive home from work that it is full.
    I've also noticed that my tick over is too lowv which may well affect the water flow at idle. I will remedy that at the weekend.

10. dodgy

Hi Phil, Just thought would ask as I've not got great heating, but I only drive 3 miles to work, and in Yorkshire!
    But what size foam did you use, area wise not necessarily thickness, as was thinking ordering some 1.5mm eva and matrix and doing the deed one sunday soon?
    Cheers Dave

Simon Peter Dodgson likes this.
  11. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Really need to pull mine.
    We could all do it together

12. PhilRyder

The foam I used is nearly 5mm thick. It's a bit too thick really but what I had to hand. 1.5mm might be a bit too thin though. Area wise, the equivalent of two A4 size sheets is more than enough.
    Realistically, I get a bit of warmth after a mile and actual warm air after 2 miles. Don't forget it's only a 1.3 and won't run as hot as quick as something larger. Mind you, the heating is better than our 12 year old Fiat 500 now (1.2) :thumbup: or :( depending on your point of view.

dodgy likes this.
  13. dodgy

Thank you my friend, may look for 2mm, bit more substance, infact may have some in the loft left from laminate flooring/cosplay and then contact adhesive it on.

14. PhilRyder

Exactly what I did. I peeled the foam off the vinyl I had left over from the headliner. You will need to use the heat resistant contact adhesive or you will be back to square one [:D]

dodgy likes this.
  15. PhilRyder

Another tip I just thought of, since you live on a hill and if you are happy to work on the road. If you point the car downhill (my drive is very steep) and only undo the connections to the matrix you won't lose very much coolant. Also, make sure you put plenty of towels down in the passenger footwell, no matter how careful you are!

dodgy likes this.
  16. rubjonny

1.5 prob be ok, I used foil tape on mine which worked ok, though the flaps rattled like hell so I recommend you use foamy stuff :lol:

dodgy likes this.