Help! I bought the wrong alloys!

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by Fred Glory, May 20, 2006.

1. Fred Glory New Member

Hi peeps this is my first post here and I need some help and advice. (Please excuse my lack of mechanical knowledge)

I have a Mk3 Golf Ryder and I have been doing a few bits and bobs to it.

I recently bought some 17" alloys off a well know auction site, I was sure they would fit, 4 stud, correct wheel size and everything. I thought I had done my research. So I bit the bullet and decided to get them.

When I came to fit them however I came across a nasty problem. I just presumed that the bolts would be part of the bit that holds the wheel on to the car and I would just have to slide the new wheels on and tighten up the nuts, but upon removing the original wheels I soon discovered that the wheels bolted onto the mounts. Oh dear... the alloys I have just parted with 200 for only seem to be able to accept the nuts that came with the wheels.[xx(] [:^(]

Here is a pic of the wheels and nuts that I bought.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The original bolts that came my car will not fit in the holes that the nuts fit into and as you can see the nuts take an internal allen type key, I was wondering whether anyone knows of any manufacturer of bolts which combine the nut with the original bolt if you know what I mean. Or make a bolt that needs an allen key to tighten it that will fit the original wheel mounts for a mk3 golf ryder.

Whilst I have been searching the internet for aforementioned nut/bolt, I have even been considering a couple of other options which I would like any opinions of. Firstly shaving the flanges of the original bolts off and using a socket set to fit them, I just hope that the socket for the size of the bolt would fit inside the holes on the new alloys. the only other thing I ca think of is by using some chemical agent such as araldite and making my own nut/bolt by getting some screw threaded steel and cutting it to size and fixing it to the nuts that came with the new wheels with chemical agent.. but I do feel that this is quite a stupid idea.

If anyone has any help for me I will be very grateful.

This is an excellent site btw

2. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Firstly, do you know that the PCD of the wheel is that of your Mk3 Golf? The PCD required is 4x100. Lets make sure the bolt spacing is right, before we look into sourcing the parts needed to fit them.

3. Fred Glory New Member

Yeah the PCD is definately 4x100. thats one of things I checked before committng to buy.

4. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

And is the center bore 57.1mm ?

5. funkbaron Forum Junkie

As above, but i'm assuming you've a:been intelligent enough to realise there's different 4-bolt fixing diameters and b: have actually put the wheels on the hub to see that the bolts line up! Are mk3 hubs stud fitment (you've mentioned nuts and bolts[8-}]) - what is that thing you've pictured, an adaptor for the allen-head bolts that came with the wheels? Best bet is to contact the manufacturer i'd say, if the problem is not being able to fit your original bolts and get a siocket inside the wheel holes! BTW - there's not a chance in hell araldite would withstand the kkind of torque needed to tighten wheel bolts, so don't waste your time with that:lol:

6. Fred Glory New Member

Last edited: May 20, 2006
  7. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

The center bore on a Honda Civic is 56.1. You can make them fit IF, and only IF the wheels currently have plastic spigot rings fitted. These will need changing for specific spigot rings to allow them to fit the 57.1 center bore on the Golf.

If the wheels themselves are not fitted with spigot rings, and the actual alloy itself is 56.1mm then you may be in trouble. The inner edge of the wheel would need machining down by 1mm.

8. Fred Glory New Member

That is the nut that came with the alloys. The car they came off must have had the studs built into the wheel mounts, where as the bolts off my golf screw into the wheel mounts to hold the wheels on.

9. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Ahhh right - so you're basicaly saying they were from a car with stud fitment and you can't fit your wheel bolts inside the recess - sounds like a major PITA really, as it looks like the wheels were designed to use the special nuts provided!

EDIT: to check the bore size slide them flush onto the hub, but from what i can gather the issue isn't even about that!

Last edited: May 20, 2006
  10. Fred Glory New Member

I take it then that the below has no plastic spigot rings to replace then.

[​IMG]

I did not feel any resitance when I was placing the new wheels against the mount though. It was a flush fit. Is the cente bore the diameter of the nuts holding on the wheel mount?

11. funkbaron Forum Junkie

if the wheel pushed on flushly then the bore diameter isn't an issue, and if the bolts lined up, then the PCD is correct - are you not saying that the wheel came with special allen-head NUTS and you need to use BOLTS, but can't fit them in the wheel recesses? I think you're buggered! Talk about making a simple matter complicated lol!

12. Fred Glory New Member

I dont think there is anything special about the nuts that came with the wheels they seem pretty standard issue. I know what I need Im just cant describe it I need a bolt which looks kinda like this.

[​IMG]

I know it is very rough but im sure you can imagine what im getting at.

13. funkbaron Forum Junkie

special or not - if you are saying that you can't fit standard wheel bolts into the recesses, it sounds like the wheels are designed for stud fitment only! Not sure if you can get those kindof bolts, but your best bet would be to phone a wheel shop or the manufacturer to clarify.

14. rupe Forum Member

15. Fred Glory New Member

Rupe thank you they look like exactly what I need. Fingers crossed now. Just waiting on Parcel force.

16. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

It looks to me like the spiggot rings have been taken out! If so unless the centre bore is correct you'll need to replace them otherwise the wheelbolts will take the strain of holding the wheel on rather than the hub!

17. TDB86 Forum Member

Yep. If you dont have the sprigot rings in then you are going to have big problems and cause you to have an accident.

18. madmonkey Forum Addict

Kinda. I had 17s on for 8 months without the correct spigot rings, and I managed not to kill millions on the motorway.

19. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

The wheel bolt holes will ovalise over time.

20. madmonkey Forum Addict

Aye, but it won't kill him if he has them on for 14 days while the spigot rings turn up in the post.