Help! I bought the wrong alloys!

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by Fred Glory, May 20, 2006.

1. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Unless his alloys are soft, and in which case they would be scrap after. Cant see the point in cutting corners. Wait till they are ready to be fitted, especially where safety is concerned. You dont know that a bolt might have a flaw and snap, same said for the wheels when uneven pressures are applied to them.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

aye theres no point risking it for the sake of 14 days really, might as well just wait and do it properly the first time.

3. ManicGTI Forum Member

All spigot rings do is centralise the wheel when putting them on, they're a mounting aid - they don't actually take the force.

Just like headbolts, do them up gong round progressively bit by bit until the new ones arrive. Obv ideally you want the proper rings to ensure its spot on.

of course theres no harm in waiting a few weeks either, but lets be realistic eh!

4. rubjonny

Sorry mate thats rubbish, the spiggot rings allow the hub to take the force of holding the wheel on and not the bolts.

Thats why VW wheels are 'hub centric' not all manufacturers are though.

5. ManicGTI Forum Member

fair play Johnny, I wrote it quickly without thinking too much about it :) they will take force.

...if other manufacturers aren't hub centric....whats the big deal here! Of course, its not ideal, but thats not the same as 'dangerous'.

6. rubjonny

well other manufacturers will have bolts strong enough to take the strain :)

7. Vento Jim Forum Member

umm... if spigot ring/adapters are made of PLASTIC, how are they supposed to withstand the above mentioned "forces" and hold the wheel on properly?![:s]

it's the wheel bolts that hold the wheel to the hubs - if u have all four done up properly there shouldnt be any danger of ur wheel dropping off and u killing someone. if your wheel moves relative to the hub so much that the centre bore or spigot has to take load then i suggest you dont have your wheel nuts/bolts torqued up.

8. rubjonny

the spiggot rings stop the wheel moving around on the hub, plastic is plenty strong enough in addition to the wheel bolts :)

You just don't want the wheel bolts taking on ALL the force on their own.
    If you think about it, without a spiggot ring the wheel bolts will have to take sideways force as well as out/in, which VW bolts arn't designed to do and could shear off.

Please don't go round telling people spiggot rings are not necessary for a VW ;)

Edit: I wasn't very clear in my other posts sorry, as above the wheel must locate snugly on the hub so that the wheel bolts are not under excessive sideways load as well as outwards. In addition without a snug fit to the hub the wheel will be able to move off-centre which will cause vibration and this will put even more strain on the wheel bolts :)

Edit2: I may be wrong about this, but I have a feeling other manufaturers which don't have hub-centric fit, use wheel studs & nuts which will correctly locate the wheel?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2006
  9. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Some are hubcentric, others are lugcentric - lugcentric wheel/hub combinations have bolts designed to take a shear force!

10. lordallen Forum Member

Oh let me think, the original beetle for one, designed by VW the same manufacturer of the above mentioned car, smaller bolts, not hubcentric and if my maths is wrong, greater forces on the wheel bolts than with the golf due to the wheel geometry and width of tyre.

11. mexicorich Forum Member

Well I think there is absolutley no chance whatsoever that plastic spigot rings will take the full force generated by a hard driven one tonne motor car, would instantly distort/crumble/split/disintegrate/spread/mushroom

If you want to test this theory just try hitting one with a 5lb hammer swung at 10mph and look at the results! Now tell me they are designed to cope with 1 tonne at 100mph - I think not!

12. golf2 Forum Member

Yes they will mate! My sister bought a clio sport in May 2002 on finance and when she picked the car up it had aftermarket wheels on it. After 1 week she rang me up saying there was a strange pinging noise from her front wheel when she went round a corner. 2 of her wheels bolts had sheared off (on the same wheel)!

We found out that the centre bore was too big for the cars hub and the whole weight of the car was on the 4 bolts!

We got the bolts drilled out and the correct PLASTIC spigot rings fitted, and 4 years 4 months later they look PERFECT.

I think its because they are such a perfect fit and pressed into a small space, they have no room to flex or distort.

And she doesnt just potter along either, shes a proper boy racer type! lol.

13. golf2 Forum Member

Also i had Plastic spigot rings on my old Gold which had 17" Wolfrace Kendo's. I had that for 18 months and they were still looking like new, and now my mate has owned it since Oct 2005 and hes had no problems and he drives it like a lunatic.

If people are woried about it you can get aluminium ones at about 4.50 each.

14. rubjonny

For a start there are 5 bolts, so more to take the load. Just because its made by VW doesn't mean the bolts are exactly the same as later VW models :lol:

15. rubjonny

Well thats not a very realistic test, try that with your alloy wheels and see how well they stand up to it :lol:

16. Bundles Forum Junkie

The main point of spiggot rings is to centre the wheel on the hub before tightening. I know a bloke that put BBS 14's on a nova without any spiggot rings. They wern't centered right and vibrted like hell, killing his shocks in less than a month (from the constant, albeit small, up and down movement.

17. Andy947 Forum Addict

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What a load of crap, the spigots take no load.

You've got to overcome the clamping force of the wheel bolts before you would ever put load on the spigot.

They are merely there to centre the wheel on the hub.

They take as much load as the safety critical brake disc screw :lol: :lol:

18. rdv123 Forum Member

spigots

The spigot rings are essential to ensure that the wheel bolts on centrally to the hub. Without it the wheel can impart vibration and loading to the bolts and hubs which over time could lead to failure, dont risk it