Help with ABF/CE2 conversion on mk1 gti

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Queiroz, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Queiroz New Member

John yesterday took a look at sensor in EG motor. Car doesnt have MFA but as gauges in the console. On the engine theres a big sensor on the side of the head with a metal tube with a T.
    On one of those theres a big sensor with one single round connector marked 0-10 bar, so I guess its for the oil pressure gauge, and the other one is smaller with a single spade, I suppose its for the other gauge with oil temp.
    Can I remove the abf MFA oil temp sensor and fit one of this (pressure or temp) and use the plug on the back of the engine for the other gauge?

Thanks

2. Queiroz New Member

If it helps got some more pics of the sensors
    The T fitting on the side of the fourth cylinder
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also another two of the filter housing
    [​IMG]

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

ok on the side you have the 0.24/0.3 bar switch for the dash, plus the bigger one is your oil pressure gauge sender. on the filter housing the bigger one is the 1.8 bar switch for the dash, and the little one is the oil temp sensor for the gauge. I'm not sure what the wire bodgery is on the little one, the sensor should have a button head for a spade to slip onto perhaps the sensor head has snapped off and the wire was soldered on?

for the abf engine you have 3 holes in the filter housing plus a spare hole round the back, so you have enough holes for everything without the need for T pieces :)

I would keep the abf pressure switches but you could take the old ones as spares. The T piece looks a bit home made, so I wouldn't bother keeping it but might be handy to have just in case. You can put your oil temp sensor in the spare hole roudn the back of the head, and remove the abf one in the filter housing. put your oil pressure sender there and job done. If it doesnt fit swap it with one of the pressure switches

Queiroz likes this.
  4. Queiroz New Member

Thanks John, yesterday also get the Ibiza loom for the interior, will have a go on that also... what a mess :)

5. Queiroz New Member

Hello guys, just un update of progress.
    After investigating a lot, got an AUG gearbox from mk2 gti 8v (thanks for sharing on another topic Toyotec)
    My current FM gearbox didn’t have enough room for the 210mm flywheel.
    This “new” gearbox will be refreshened with new bearings and also a diff bolt kit (these have also arrived :) )
    Also got old of a pair of 100mm shafts from cabby to go along.

Yesterday was test fit day...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have a little room to figure out exhaust, this is currently fitted with branch manifold
    [​IMG]

This is the tolerance I have in tensioner side.
    The engine is fully to the left of the car, can’t get more space than this...
    What to you guys think?
    Is it enough or better be searching for spring alternator bracket thingy?
    [​IMG]

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

thats more than plenty space, on the affected cars the bolt is hard up on the leg :) heres the relavant page in the bentley for engine alignment:
    Clipboard01.jpg

Queiroz likes this.
  7. Corradoman93 New Member

This video should help